Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: I want to see ...
... only canon characters (except for guest spots) 2 2.35%
... a focus primarily on canon characters 24 28.24%
... an equal balance of canon and original characters 48 56.47%
... a focus primarily on original characters 9 10.59%
... only original characters (except for the odd cameo) 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10 2012, 05:48 AM   #16
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Re: Going forward: Emphasis on canon or original characters?

I voted for primarily OCs. I think most all of the "canon" characters and settings have been more or less played out.

With the Prime universe now pretty much left to the novels to continue, I believe that the Trek line has a chance to grow beyond the confines of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT. Explore that universe and show us something new.

Show us the adventures of an old Constellation class ship struggling to keep the shipping lanes safe in the post-DW universe. Show us the staff of the Federation Consulate on Sigma Iotia still working after all these years to get the Iotians moving towards a less "mob-based" society.

The books could even move outside the "Starfleet paradigm". I'd love to read a good crime story set on Sigma Iotia with an Iotian "family" fighting to keep their territory safe against the incursions of the Orion Syndicate.

Or maybe a noir piece set on that planet O'Brian infiltrated the Syndicate on, featuring a hard-boiled shamus just trying to keep body and soul together while constantly dealing with the proverbial "suddenly, two men burst into the room with phasers" situations.

Or how about a "tramp freighter" story set in the DMZ colonies before there WAS a DMZ. Something "Tales of the Gold Monkey" style only with Cardassians, etc as the bad guys?

It's a big universe, and, as I said, with the Prime universe all but defunct outside the books, it's time to let that world out of the "nest" and spread its wings.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 09:06 PM   #17
JD
Admiral

^That's the kind of stuff I would love to see them do as e-books. E-books just strike me as a better medium for the more experimental stuff.
Old August 10 2012, 09:28 PM   #18
Sho
Fleet Captain

I voted for "primarily OCs" myself. While I of course won't turn down a good story staffed by canon characters and do enjoy reading about what becomes of them, somehow I am always a little distracted by the mental background activity of comparing an author's interpretation of a character against my recollections of their onscreen presence. With OCs I find it easier to immerse myself in the tales, and I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know new crews like the da Vinci's or the Vanguard cast, or Bacco and her staff. I also agree with Ian Keldon on being interested in exploring additional facets of the setting through types of characters not featured in the shows.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 09:39 PM   #19
JD
Admiral

One of my favorite things about Vanguard was the variety of character types. Before Vanguard, I never thought we'd get a series with an ambassador, a journalist, a lawyer and a mercenary in the regular cast.
Old August 10 2012, 09:55 PM   #20
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ Yep, exactly. Pennington and Jetanien are probably my favorite Vanguard characters.

I should add that I also tend to enjoy what Christopher has been proposing (and doing), i.e. taking characters seen only briefly in canon and really fleshing them out in the novels. In context of what I was saying earlier, this still feels much like an OC. Even though there's already a visual in my head placed by the shows, there's not as much of a behavioral template to fill out.
Old August 10 2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I prefer a mix though I'd rather have it tilted more to the canon characters than original ones. With Star Wars I mainly like reading the movie characters over OCs because the SW writers haven't really made their new characters all that interesting. The Trek writers have a much better record with original characters so the mix works much better for me with ST.
Old August 11 2012, 12:14 AM   #22
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I voted for a balance, but for me that means at least one replacement for Vanguard or Klingon Empire or Stargazer or NF - at least one series almost entirely devoted to original characters. That's part of the balance, for me.

Just like Star Wars had X-Wing alongside the books about the big 3, and all kinds of even more crazy shit lately, I think it's a kind of awesome part of having a huge tie-in franchise that you can open up new corners of it.
Old August 11 2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Paper Moon
Commander

I voted for focusing primarily, but not exclusively, on canon characters. The fact is that I read TrekLit first and foremost to see what's happening "now" to the characters I know and love from the TV shows and movies. I enjoy reading about new original characters, especially when they are interesting, but none have yet reached the level of interest that the canon characters have.

I disagree that the canon characters have all been "played out". Picard is moving into new territory vis à vis fatherhood, and the recurring hints that he might eventually retire. La Forge also seems to be becoming more of a leader than just a chief engineer, and would appear to be having more luck with women (Leah). The Voyager characters have hardly been played out, since most of them had very little development on the show anyway.

We know next to nothing about Hikaru Sulu in the 24th century (ignoring the Shatnerverse's President Sulu, which the current novelverse continuity seems to do, especially since nothing was said about him during AotF). We know nothing about most of the crew of the NX-01 after the Romulan War, and what we do know is basically broad strokes. You can't seriously tell me there are really interesting stories waiting to be told from Archer's post-war career:

Over the course of his career Archer earned many commendations, including the Medal of Valor, with clusters, the Star Cross, the Preantares Ribbon of Commendation, and the Federation Citation of Honor. For his service in the Romulan War he was promoted to the rank of Admiral, and by 2168, he had become Starfleet Chief of Staff. (ENT episode: "In a Mirror, Darkly")

In 2164 he was appointed an honorary member of the Andorian Imperial Guard by General Shran. On January 1, 2169, Archer retired from Starfleet, continuing his work as a diplomat by taking on the position of Federation Ambassador to Andoria. (ENT episode: "In a Mirror, Darkly"; ST - Destiny novel: Mere Mortals)

He served as Ambassador until 2175, when he was elected to the position of Federation Councillor from United Earth. He ascended to the presidency in 2185, serving two terms. (ENT episode: "In a Mirror, Darkly")

An additional screen of biographical information created by Mike Sussman for the ENT episode: "In a Mirror, Darkly" (seen here), but not used in the final production, revealed that Archer died in his home in New York in 2245, one day after attending the christening of the USS Enterprise.
source: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jonathan_Archer

But if it had been
, fuhgedaboudit. I would've been pretty cheesed off. And that's my point: I tend not to care as much about OCs as about canon characters.

On the other hand, I do really like Hugh Cambridge, T'Ryssa Chen, Jasminder Choudhury, Nan Bacco, Thirishar Ch'Thane, Dr. Ree, several secondary characters from Titan... And Ian Keldon's out-of-the-box ideas are really cool.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 10:09 PM   #24
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I voted for balance, but more towards the introduction of new characters.

I mean with the Prime universe novel only from now on the canon non-canon distinction is kind of pointless, I don't get the whole one character is more important than another because they showed up on the TV show and the other didn't thing. I would perfer to think of it as old characters and new characters actually, and on that note I would point out that if Star Trek only used old characters we would have only gotten TOS and maybe the TOS films.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 11:47 PM   #25
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ That's a nice way of thinking about it.
Old September 3 2012, 01:44 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I voted a focus primarily on canon characters.

I haven't been too happy with a lot of non-canon characters. There have been some winners for sure but also a lot of stodge. KRAD does original characters very well.

I've definitely enjoyed the development of obscure on screen characters.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 05:14 PM   #27
JD
Admiral

But wouldn't the development of obscure on screen characters pretty much be the same as original characters?
Old September 3 2012, 06:23 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Wish they'd have explored the development of B4. Maybe brought Maddox aboard to serve as a guide. TNG hasn't felt right since Data died.
Old September 3 2012, 06:54 PM   #29
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Canon characters should get a focus, but characters like Vaughn, Shar and Taran'atar have become nearly as important to me as canon characters, so there is some room for literature-only characters to be featured.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 07:55 PM   #30
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Sho wrote: View Post
^ That's a nice way of thinking about it.
Plus now that I think about it the novels are currently in 2384 or 2383 which means their getting closer to the The Visitor/All Good Things/Endgame future era (though hopefully they use better uniforms) which means the canon characters are going to be getting up their in the age department so eventually they may end up needing to be phased out as it becomes more and more unbelievable that they would be active at their increasingly older ages.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote