Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 19 2014, 01:08 AM   #841
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

I love Romeo+Juliet. About as good a modern adaptation as ever was.

I personally wasn't over the moon for Whedon's "Much Ado" but I have much fondness for Brannaugh's, and I've performed in it twice myself, so I come to it with some baggage.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 01:17 AM   #842
kirk55555
Commodore

Well, I'm sure its good for a Shakespeare adaptation. If you put a gun to my head and made me watch a Shakespeare based movie, I'd probably go with Whedon's, but outside of that situation I at least need subtitles on a movie if its using a language I don't speak. I've never gotten why no one seems to have tried to make a fairly loyal to the material Shakespeare movie but translated it into modern language, it would probably get people who don't speak Shakespeare to at least give it a chance
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 06:47 AM   #843
JD
Admiral

It's actually not at all weird to do a modern adaptation of Shakespeare like Whedon's Much Ado or Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet (which is one of my favorite Shakespeare movies), people have been doing it for decades. They did the same thing with the Patrick Steward/David Tennant Hamlet. Coriolanus, starring Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort from Harry Potter), Gerard Butler (Leonidas from 300), and Brian Cox, (Stryker from X2) , is another awesome modern Shakespeare movie.
Old August 19 2014, 07:13 AM   #844
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Ian McKellan's Richard III is my favorite updated Bard... and it was a step in RDJ's comeback road to Stark.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 05:17 PM   #845
kirk55555
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
It's actually not at all weird to do a modern adaptation of Shakespeare like Whedon's Much Ado or Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet (which is one of my favorite Shakespeare movies), people have been doing it for decades. They did the same thing with the Patrick Steward/David Tennant Hamlet. Coriolanus, starring Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort from Harry Potter), Gerard Butler (Leonidas from 300), and Brian Cox, (Stryker from X2) , is another awesome modern Shakespeare movie.

I've heard of several of them, although the Patrick Stewart/David Tennant Hamlet is something I hadn't heard of before and sounds awesome. But, while there are a bunch of Shakespeare adaptations in a modern setting, the ones I know about still speak like its in Shakespeare times. I just think it would be interesting to see one of the plays translated into the type of English we speak in 2014, even if they keep the old setting.
Old August 19 2014, 05:23 PM   #846
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

At the moment Joss Whedon is doing a 6 song EP with someone called Shawnee Killgore.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/jo...iant-me#k7pa4o

The first single on Spotify.

Last edited by Bob The Skutter; August 19 2014 at 08:03 PM.
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 12:51 AM   #847
Aldo
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, I'm sure its good for a Shakespeare adaptation. If you put a gun to my head and made me watch a Shakespeare based movie, I'd probably go with Whedon's, but outside of that situation I at least need subtitles on a movie if its using a language I don't speak. I've never gotten why no one seems to have tried to make a fairly loyal to the material Shakespeare movie but translated it into modern language, it would probably get people who don't speak Shakespeare to at least give it a chance
I'm sorry, I hate to come across as a snob here, but Shakespeare is not that hard to understand.

If you watch the movie (or play or whatever) even if you have trouble at first understanding it the general idea of it should be clear to you based on what's going on in the scene.
Old August 20 2014, 01:11 AM   #848
kirk55555
Commodore

Aldo wrote: View Post

I'm sorry, I hate to come across as a snob here, but Shakespeare is not that hard to understand.

If you watch the movie (or play or whatever) even if you have trouble at first understanding it the general idea of it should be clear to you based on what's going on in the scene.
Well, to each their own. If I wanted to try to figure out a story with no dialog, I'd watch a silent film. At least then I wouldn't have to hear people attempt to speak in a language both close enough to and far enough away from modern English to be annoying.. Actually, I have seen a silent film and liked it, so that's got Shakespeare beat. Shakespeare did not write in modern English.

Heck, he didn't even write in a language anything like modern english. There are some identifiable english words in it, but its practically nonsense. It makes sense that its written like this because its ancient. But to never translate his dialog after however many centuries just makes his work strictly for, well, Shakespeare snobs. Seriously, I tried to challenge myself to try to read a Shakespeare play a few months ago. I got exactly as far as the second page of MacBeth, and my brain melted out of my ears. Now, I consider myself a good reader, I read a lot and often, but I might as well have been trying to read a book written in French.

Now, I'm not saying its bad. I'm saying its the work of a guy who died centuries ago, and its written in what is basically a foreign language compared to modern day english. Unless someone wants to translate it into modern English, I intend to stay far away from it. Like I said above, I really need foreign language films to have subtitles and foreign books to be translated, and no one seems to want to do that with Shakespeare's work. Its like if you could only read/hear/watch stories from Greek Mythology in the original ancient greek
Old August 20 2014, 01:20 AM   #849
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

It's not ancient, it's modern English. Read Caucer and then complain. Or Beowulf if you want to have something legitimate to complain about. But Shakespeare is legible modern English, clearly in a somewhat more archaic form, but 95% comprehensible.

The syntax is sometimes a touch weird for me (given the need to make it have the right rhythm and rhyme), but the words themselves are usually clearly the same regardless of spelling.
Old August 20 2014, 01:22 AM   #850
Relayer1
Commodore

Shakespeare did not write in modern English.

Heck, he didn't even write in a language anything like modern english. There are some identifiable english words in it, but its practically nonsense.........but I might as well have been trying to read a book written in French.
No. It really isn't practically nonsense. It's an earlier form of English - in fact it gave a remarkable number of phrases to modern English - but is still English, and it's not that hard, especially when given context by being performed.

You don't have to like it. I certainly think it's hugely overrated, but it's not that hard to follow.

And if you're going to perform it, do it in period. You're fooling no-one trying to update it...
Old August 20 2014, 01:22 AM   #851
jbny67
Commander

Unless someone wants to translate it into modern English, I intend to stay far away from it. Like I said above, I really need foreign language films to have subtitles and foreign books to be translated, and no one seems to want to do that with Shakespeare's work. Its like if you could only read/hear/watch stories from Greek Mythology in the original ancient greek
No Fear Shakespeare
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 01:29 AM   #852
kirk55555
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Shakespeare did not write in modern English.

Heck, he didn't even write in a language anything like modern english. There are some identifiable english words in it, but its practically nonsense.........but I might as well have been trying to read a book written in French.
No. It really isn't practically nonsense. It's an earlier form of English - in fact it gave a remarkable number of phrases to modern English - but is still English, and it's not that hard, especially when given context by being performed.

You don't have to like it. I certainly think it's hugely overrated, but it's not that hard to follow.
I don't know if I like it or not, I literally can't read it. I've been reading for 18+ years, I have a good grasp on reading English, and Shakespeare is not written in an understandable way for to someone who only reads stories written in modern english. Performing it in that same ancient version of English doesn't make it any less confusing.

I don't want to get into a big thing about it. All I know is that I find it completely incomprehensible, and that unless someone adapts some of the plays into modern English (actual modern english, that people speak in 2014) its not something I intend to bother with. I can't read it, I can't understand it in general, and I have no idea why anyone would put the time in to try to decipher it, but more power to you if you can figure it out. What little bit of Shakespeare I experience comes from references in movies and stories written normally, and thats as far as I can go. I'm just incapable of understanding it in its original Klingon form, and not even Joss Whedon can fix that
Old August 20 2014, 01:35 AM   #853
Masiral
Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post

Well, to each their own. If I wanted to try to figure out a story with no dialog, I'd watch a silent film. At least then I wouldn't have to hear people attempt to speak in a language both close enough to and far enough away from modern English to be annoying.. Actually, I have seen a silent film and liked it, so that's got Shakespeare beat. Shakespeare did not write in modern English.

Heck, he didn't even write in a language anything like modern english. There are some identifiable english words in it, but its practically nonsense. It makes sense that its written like this because its ancient. But to never translate his dialog after however many centuries just makes his work strictly for, well, Shakespeare snobs. Seriously, I tried to challenge myself to try to read a Shakespeare play a few months ago. I got exactly as far as the second page of MacBeth, and my brain melted out of my ears. Now, I consider myself a good reader, I read a lot and often, but I might as well have been trying to read a book written in French.
First, 500 years is not really ancient. Second, the vast majority of words in Shakespearean English are the same as modern English. The sentence structure is different, but the words are the same.

If you really want to read a "translation," find the No-Fear Shakespeare editions. They have the original Shakespearean text on one page and the modern English on the other, so you can read them both and compare. For a lot of lines, there is very little difference.
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 01:50 AM   #854
kirk55555
Commodore

Masiral wrote: View Post

First, 500 years is not really ancient. Second, the vast majority of words in Shakespearean English are the same as modern English. The sentence structure is different, but the words are the same.

If you really want to read a "translation," find the No-Fear Shakespeare editions. They have the original Shakespearean text on one page and the modern English on the other, so you can read them both and compare. For a lot of lines, there is very little difference.

I tried that with Macbeth, that was the version I tried to read. It technically translated it, but it didn't come out quite right. I think to make it work it would need to be not exactly translated, but also interpreted in a way more like modern people speak. Just translating the weird words and phrases/metaphors isn't quit enough, although it did make it readable, if dry and without enough "personality" (that's the best way I can explain it) to keep my attention. That said, there is a lot of difference in the lines, its just that the translation needs more work to grab the reader.

As for the same words but different sentence structure, that's a huge problem. I suppose I could say something like "The fish flew into apple pants therefore a monkey door will make", which includes all actual English words, but is gibberish. Shakespeare isn't always that bad, but even in the little bit I tried of MacBeth it got close. Basically, if someone could take the idea of No Fear Shakespeare, but actually work on it to make the translation work better, I'd try it out. Same goes for movies, if someone made an adaptation with people speaking like modern people, I might watch it. Those things will probably never happen, so I just don't bother with it. It might be good, it might be bad, but its not something written for people in the modern day. Its something for literary and performance aficionados, and that's fine. The stories might be interesting if they were understandable, but there is so much great fiction in the world, it doesn't really matter if some really old stuff stays indecipherable to people who aren't obsessed with it.
Old August 20 2014, 02:13 AM   #855
DWF
Vice Admiral

I think it was Patrick Stewart who said that Shakespeare should be seen not read and I do think he's right. Plus Shakespeare and ideals are a part of alot of movies and television, you really don't need to read his wroks to understand his writing.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote