Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 9 2013, 02:46 PM   #151
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Isn't it pretty rare to pay someone that much up front? I thought they all get back end deals, taking home the gross profits.
I'm assuming that this deal was signed the same time as the deal with Terrance Howard, which Marvel - then somewhat inexperienced as a studio and at signing such deals - later realised was unduly generous to the actor.

They tried to get Howard to agree to a reduced fee for IM2 but he understandably refused. When he did, he was replaced by Don Cheadle. Of course, RDJ is much more indispensable than Howard was, which is why they can't just replace him with Rob Lowe/Charlie Sheen/Emilio Estevez etc.
Old May 9 2013, 03:02 PM   #152
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Every time RDJ asks for more money to appear in a sequel, the people at Marvel Studios die a little inside!

Robert Downey Jr even said that he might be considered a "Strategic cost"

GQ asked Downey about THR's $50 million number, with the publication reporting Downey smiled broadly and answered "yeah" when asked if that was about right.

"Isn't that crazy?" he said. "They're so pissed. I can't believe it. I'm what's known as a 'strategic cost.'"
That sounds so Tony Stark LOL

I can just imagine Marvel executives pulling their hair out. He has them in a frenzy

Executives- He said yes?!? Can we even afford him?!

Executive 2- I don't know!

*jumps out of a window*

I don't get studio thinking.

Pay your top franchise star big bucks and have anything between a guaranteed profitable to insanely successful movie or risk everything by getting a cheaper replacement and hope for the best.

Marvel got very lucky they chose RDJ (though he was always a blast to watch pre Iron Man) and jumpstarted his career again so why mess with the formula?

Yes.. 50 million sounds like a lot but if it gets you an additional 200-300 million i'd call that a good deal.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:49 PM   #153
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The thing is, though, by and large in most big franchise movies, the lead actor is ultimately replacable. Be it Sean Connery as James Bond, Toby Maguire as Spider-man, Michael Keaton as Batman, William Shatner as Captain Kirk or Ed Norton as the Hulk, the character is generally bigger than the actor.

There's no doubt that RDJ brought a hell of a lot to Tony Stark and Iron Man and he will be a hard act to follow. But equally, I can see Marvel thinking 'Well, he's getting on a bit, we'll have to replace him eventually anyway, why pay him another $50m for Avengers, which is bound to be a dead cert hit anyway?'

Indeed, if Marvel did want to replace RDJ (or at least balked at his salary), an Avengers film would seem to be the perfect time to do it, rather than Iron Man 4. No better time to introduce a new actor than among the ensemble, rather than have him carry the whole IM franchise on his shoulders. Even if people don't particularly warm to this new Tony Stark, they'll still have the other characters to watch. And, of course, if he or she proves a success, then they're all set to star in IM4.
Old May 9 2013, 04:05 PM   #154
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Isn't it pretty rare to pay someone that much up front? I thought they all get back end deals, taking home the gross profits.
That's how much RDJ makes after his back end participation rolls in. It's not all, or even mostly, upfront pay.
Old May 9 2013, 05:56 PM   #155
Aldo
Admiral

Not sure how reliable this is, but this showed up on my facebook news feed:

Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth received only a $500,000 pay increase for returning for the "Captain America" and "Thor" sequels. And unlike Downey, the actors will earn only $500,000 more if their movies break the $500 million mark at the box office.

Despite having a contract, Hemsworth considered backing out of "Thor 2," because he earned $5 million working on "Snow White and the Huntsman" and Marvel isn't offering anywhere near that, despite the fact that "Thor" and "The Avengers" are massive franchises. Scarlett Johansson is also fed up and isn't willing to take a pay-cut to return for "The Avengers 2."
Read more: here.

I hope Chris Hemsworth isn't replaced. He was one of the best things about Thor.
Old May 9 2013, 06:08 PM   #156
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
They're just repeating what they read in the Deadline Hollywood story.

Joss Whedon put this out in response to one of the claims in the Deadline piece:

Hi guys.

I was going to let it slide, but I've got this sour taste in my mouth. (Mmmm, lemonade!). Some facts are not facts. I'm not going to go into the whole thing, but jeepers, I'm not getting $100 mil on Avengers 2. If I were, I would come on this site and laugh and laugh and laugh. I'm not making Downey money. I'm making A LOT, which is exciting. I'm not pretending to be a poor farmer, an Everyman, an ANYman. But that number is nuts. A few other things about me that have been "reported" that people should take with a grain of salt:

That I throw wild Hollywood parties where everyone is naked and dancing and wild and I remember to serve enough snacks.

That I can get a movie greenlit by sighing and staring into the middle distance.

That I ate a unicorn and made it winter for three years.

That I "can write."

Well, that's a load off. Sorry to get so personal -- the whole thing's a bit tawdry. But honestly, it bugged me. I'm off for a nice juicy steak. There's a place downtown that does it with rosemary butter, it tastes just like unico -- like a steak.

BYE-ee! J.
However, Nikki Finke didn't actually say he stands to make $100 million for The Avengers 2 alone. She said the following:

Whedon reportedly has a “really rich deal” worth an astronomical $100M for a combination of product and services including several pics, consulting work, a put pilot at ABC, and many other elements that effectively take him off the marketplace for years and years, one source tells me."
Old May 9 2013, 06:34 PM   #157
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I wonder, though, if Hemsworth would've been cast as the Huntsman if Universal didn't know he'd be Thor in several Marvel movies. Also, as I understand it, that movie did much better than anyone expected, so he probably got a higher payday in the gross returns than the suits had expected.

And, now that he's such a huge star, other studios hoping to land him for various movies have to up their offers considerably, so it's not as though he won't clean up at some point.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 07:27 PM   #158
superdeluxe
Captain

Has Joss found his Scarlet Witch?
Although Joss is still writing and probably not ready to send anything out to actors, for the two roles, they're generally looking for actors in their 20s and we've heard word that the "prototype" for their Scarlet Witch is none other than Irish actress Saoirse Ronan. Except something to note is that they're going "British" for the role rather than trying to have actors playing Eastern Europeans.

As it happens, Ronan just turned 19 last month and she will be turning 20 sometime during the time they would be filming the movie next year though she's also already been playing more mature roles. If she is Marvel's "prototype" for Wanda, why wouldn't Marvel just outright make an offer to Ronan once they have a script done? Ronan has those mesmerizing eyes that would be perfect for the Scarlet Witch, too.

As far as Wanda's brother Pietro--now we're assuming they're going to use the same first names from the comics even though they're played as British---he's only described as being "euro" and "edgy," but there are plenty of British actors in their 20s who could fit that bill. Come on SHH readers, what actor could hold their own against Ms. Ronan? Please don't mention either of the actors from The Host, though
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...-a-quicksilver

Oh and Black Panther?

elmayimbe ‏@elmayimbe 45m I have in my possession a grid that shows THE BLACK PANTHER is shooting next year. Getting confirmation. Me thinks AVENGERS 2 cameo 1st. RT

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 08:47 PM   #159
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Old May 10 2013, 09:55 PM   #160
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Irish and British aren't the same thing. And Ronan doesn't have to play characters that match her ethnic/national background. Neither Ian McKellen nor Michael Fassbender are European Jews, yet both played Magneto, who is.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 12:11 AM   #161
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

they're generally looking for actors in their 20s
So I guess just like "Emma Frost" became "Emma, Kayla's sister who isn't Emma Frost", the guy who was supposed to be Pietro in X-Men Origins: Wolverine will become "that guy who we thought was Pietro but really wasn't"? Or are the Fox and Disney versions of the character simply destined to be different ages?
Old May 15 2013, 11:33 PM   #162
Dream
Admiral

RUMOR: Renner done as Hawkeye?

Sad to say, but Hawkeye is the easiest to replace on the team.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 12:02 AM   #163
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Emphasis on rumor, but it would be a shame. His comments aren't wrong, but there's not a lot to do with the character. Really, his interactions with Natasha Romanov were the only interesting parts for him in The Avengers.
Old May 16 2013, 02:18 AM   #164
JD
Admiral

I don't think I'd be overly sad to see him go. He was pretty cool in his appearances, but there are plenty of other interesting character already in the movies, and plenty of potential interesting characters in the comics.
Old May 16 2013, 02:26 AM   #165
Dream
Admiral

I think the only irreplaceable characters at the moment for Avengers 2 is Iron Man, Cap, Hulk and Thor.

While I don't want to see it happen, Widow and Hawkeye can easily be replaced by new members.

Also Fury can be replaced with Agent Hill as director, if Jackson plays hardball.

They really should try to get everyone back for Avengers 2. Avengers 3 can get any almost entirely new team as long as they have Cap or Iron Man.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote