Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

View Poll Results: How does your primary character match up with your real gender?
I'm male with a male character. 17 42.50%
I'm male with a female character. 16 40.00%
I'm female with a male character. 1 2.50%
I'm female with a female character. 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 15 2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Romulus Prime
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Gender choice survey

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I'm a male to female transgender, and my character is a misanthropic hermaphrodite fire troll.

Are we all talking about the same game here?

YES

Romulan Commander: "Danger and I are old companions." - TOS episode Balance of Terror

"Living in your dreams is like living in exile.
" - Calyx, A Stitch in Time

"Shame on you, Barack Obama!" -
Hillary Clinton

"It's the economy, stupid." - Bill Clinton
Romulus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 11:19 AM   #17
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I'm a male to female transgender, and my character is a misanthropic hermaphrodite fire troll.

Are we all talking about the same game here?

Cool. I'm a male (though I work on a balance between my masculine and femine sides, mentally), and my character, Cassy (whom some of you saw in my art thread), and she, while looking, sounding, like a female is, in fact, a male of her species, but she was found and raised by humans when she was an infant. She has no knowledge of where she came from. It's all in my character's bio, and I'll be playing as soon as my computer get a better video card, or when my new computer finally arrives....which ever comes first.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 12:40 AM   #18
Blamo
Fleet Captain

I'm male and it depends on the intended use of the character.

My main (KDF and Fed) - Male
Roleplaying - Male
General gameplay - Female. If I'm going to spend hours looking at something, I'd prefer that something was a pixilated representation of a woman then a pixilated representation of a man.

All my female toons are aliens made to look human (it's to do with the greater choice of traits, the same goes for my male toons), so when I'm on a social map for any lentgth of time I'll switch costumes so she becomes an ugly looking genderless monster.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 02:07 AM   #19
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

RE: the costume switching...have you had a problem with harassment when playing a female toon?
Old August 19 2012, 03:34 AM   #20
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I've had harassment issues while playing as a woman. The problem is I haven't faced any.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 05:06 AM   #21
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
RE: the costume switching...have you had a problem with harassment when playing a female toon?
My female character currently looks like Beverly Crusher in TNG season 1 uniform. The sight of a female doctor in uniform has men running away. She used to wear a skirt and did get a few PMs.

Therefore, my theory is that the amount of harassment is proportional to the amount of skin visible. The standard Starfleet uniform (jacket and pants) is a good turn off for men. Slap on a skirt and men crawl out of the woodwork.
Old August 19 2012, 06:12 AM   #22
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

That could explain why (so far) my female Caitian hasn't had any problems so far: very alien race, standard uniform, and purposely de-emphasized T & A.

I wonder, though...I don't have any more character slots to find out, but is it possible to play a shirtless Orion male on the KDF side? If so, does such a character get PM's or harassment from anybody? Or is the problem only confined to women?

I haven't written it into his bio yet, but my KDF toon even makes a point of disallowing any "battle-inappropriate" costumes for men and women aboard his ship. My response to the fact that such skimpy costumes are allowed in the game. Krantak's rule is basically: if it doesn't provide adequate coverage should your shields drop in combat, it's not allowed. No exceptions. Fighting stupid because you felt a need to show off is dishonorable in his book.
Old August 19 2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Romulus Prime
Lieutenant Commander

I've had very few instances in both STO and Champions. Worst thing that ever happened was some jackass Fed who was PMing me and another fem (looking) player "hey sexy. wan2 come see my bridge".

He was doing this while we were in the middle of a PvP ground match. The middle of a damn fight!

What a MORON.

Fine if you want to pretend you're picking up on a real chick on ESD or Drozana, or Sirius sector space, but don't ever fuck with my PvP. Seriously, Fed players like that gave me so much inspiration to switch to and build up my Klingon side characters.

Romulan Commander: "Danger and I are old companions." - TOS episode Balance of Terror

"Living in your dreams is like living in exile.
" - Calyx, A Stitch in Time

"Shame on you, Barack Obama!" -
Hillary Clinton

"It's the economy, stupid." - Bill Clinton

Last edited by Romulus Prime; August 19 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Romulus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Yup. That, plus comments in zone chat about actual women, make me think that more then a few male nerds have some serious issues with the opposite sex.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 06:44 PM   #25
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the zone chat can get pretty disgusting sometimes, depending on where you are. Drozana's just pure disgusting, but DS9 (ground, space, AND even the Beta Ursae sector) draws the "intellectual disgusting" crowd, and you get political mudslinging mixed in with the more infantile insults. DS9 is either reasonable, logical discussion, or stupid Gorn jokes, or flaming. It's like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.

I can definitely attest to seeing misogynistic and racist comments, as well as other sorts of ideological bigotry.
Old August 19 2012, 09:56 PM   #26
The Castellan
Commodore

Blamo wrote: View Post
Yup. That, plus comments in zone chat about actual women, make me think that more then a few male nerds have some serious issues with the opposite sex.
That's because, nerds I know don't have much success with the opposite sex (or even same sex, in some instances)
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
Old September 9 2012, 12:38 PM   #27
SimpleLogic

I always choose a male for my main hero character so I can be a dork and pretends its me being all heroic and such.
Old September 9 2012, 01:03 PM   #28
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

I have male, female, and alien toons lol

Alexander - Joined Trill male
Kara - Unjoined Trill female
K'thar - Caitain male
M'rissa - Caitain female

So i'm pretty much 50/50 when it comes to gender, or 100% non-human if you want to add species specific to your question lol

M
Old September 9 2012, 01:51 PM   #29
Mars
Captain

The Castellan wrote: View Post
That's because, nerds I know don't have much success with the opposite sex (or even same sex, in some instances)
Women don't dig science fiction as much, they prefer the soppy romances.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:31 AM   #30
The Castellan
Commodore

Mars wrote: View Post
The Castellan wrote: View Post

Women don't dig science fiction as much, they prefer the soppy romances.
Some do, but the onese by me that do often look like Meg Griffon or Harold from the Red Green show indrag (which he did once, and that looked terrifying)

Most women in my area are more into reality TV based crap than anything else.

Anyhow, I am planning on making a male character in the future based on a Red Dwarf character. Going to have fun with that.