Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old July 29 2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Doctor Lee is a Menace

What with the Creeping Vine Plant and the Game Chair in early S8. I believe there also is earlier evidence of his incompetence, too.

Does he continue to plague their efforts throughout the rest of S8 and S9-10

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old July 29 2012, 04:50 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Doctor Lee is a Menace

And I though McKay was the mad scientist in the SG verse.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 29 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
AJ86
Captain

ur all just jelly

Old July 29 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
DWF
Vice Admiral

I really didn't like Dr. Lee in Paradise Lost, but soon he became a sort of lovable goofball and he was one of the few reaccuring characters to appear on all three shows.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old July 29 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
stj
Rear Admiral

An action-comedy series needs pure comic figures. Dr. Lee served the purpose admirably.
Old July 29 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Lieutenant Commander

He's a comic relief, yes.
Old July 29 2012, 11:08 PM   #7
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I could not stand Dr Lee, and it got worse as the series went on. He never did anything right, and his character got pretty tiring by the end.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old July 29 2012, 11:31 PM   #8
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I didn't mean to imply that I dislike the character, it is actually refreshing after watching SG1 Team, to have someone screw things up, and not fix them themselves (Sam has made some pretty serious mistakes, but, generally comes to the rescue fixing it in the end).

It's just surprising he's allowed so many opportunities to screw up.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 1 2012, 01:12 AM   #9
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

He doesn't always screw up, though. He's just not hyper-competent to the point of having a super-human intellect like McKay or Carter. I always liked him. Felger, on the other hand, I couldn't stand.

I think part of the reason I like Dr. Lee so much is that he vaguely reminds me of the best science teacher I ever had.

Doctor Lee and Doctor Cavanaugh made things interesting. Let's be honest...McKay and Carter came to the brink of Mary Sue-land a few times. They weren't that way all the time, but it sometimes got tiresome watching the "suspense" of "not knowing" if they would figure it out in time. You always knew they'd pull off a miracle in the end and we'd have another "Yay, Carter's a genius!" ending.

I thought Bill Lee was an interesting addition because he was more like a regular person and didn't have all the answers. And Cavanaugh being an absolute jerk was interesting too, just because it was a change from most of the show's scientist characters.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
Old August 3 2012, 01:16 AM   #10
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I like Dr. Lee, although I think they used him a little too much at times. The one scene that always comes to mind is when he was trying to explain the Twilight Bark to the other scientists.
Old August 3 2012, 12:11 PM   #11
AJ86
Captain

One of the few times he did something right!
Old August 3 2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Danny99
Vice Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
I could not stand Dr Lee, and it got worse as the series went on. He never did anything right, and his character got pretty tiring by the end.
My feelings exactly.

If anyone was this incompetent at a high level military facility, he would've been tossed. In the final seasons, he was trotted out for wacky hijinks that mostly made me cringe.
Old August 4 2012, 12:12 AM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

To be fair in TV land we see when things go wrong, so it might be case of for every failure we see he has ten success that we don't see.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 8 2012, 11:13 PM   #14
chrinFinity
Commander

Not everyone is a Carter or a McKay. When none of the geniuses are handy, Dr. Lee usually did a really good job pulling out the science support whenever he was needed.

Wasn't he responsible for the team that made it possible for the communication stones to work (more-or-less) completely reliably for the Tau'ri throughout SGU?

Also you have to recall when Daniel and Vala were trapped in the connection with the Ori galaxy and Cam wanted to destroy the communication device, Dr. Lee was strongly against it for what I felt were very good reasons. He even had the courage to shield the device with his own body when Cam went to shoot it. That scene really endeared him to me.

Now, there was also the time when he thought Merlin's device was a shrink ray which had "honey I shrunk" SG-1... Clearly this was played as ridiculous comic relief, but from Dr. Lee's perspective, come on. He's got virtually no information to work with, he came up with his best possible theory (on assumption they were still alive), a theory which was frankly no less ridiculous than half of the shit that goes on at the SGC.

Be realistic here. If it weren't for our omniscient audience perspective at knowing they weren't really shrunk, and if it weren't for the goofy musical score and the other characters all looking sideways at him, Dr. Lee's actions were neither ridiculous, or uncalled for. Consider this... going on the assumption that his friends had not simply been killed by the machine, here's a guy who is willing to put on a stupid rigged-up headband magnifier thing, not caring how silly it makes him look, and then spend hours and hours meticulously searching every inch of the lab's floor in the hopes of saving their lives.

Dr. Lee's efforts are incredibly touching, and even though his attempts were ultimately misguided, here's a guy that's going to do anything at all that occurs to him in order to help the people he cares about. Who do you want on your side in a difficult situation, someone who throws up their hands and says "I've got nothing," or someone who is willing to do *anything* that possibly occurs to them if it has the slim chance of saving you?
Old August 9 2012, 04:47 AM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

Didn't McKay once destroy a solar system? Well ok 5/6ths off one. Could tht feat lone class him as a menace?