Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 30 2012, 06:56 PM   #91
Aldo
Admiral

Re: Total Recall - Reviews, Grading, and duiscussions, SPOILERS

Plus it has what is probably the best Arnold line ever:

As an aside, I've been curious about this. I have the first BluRay release of Total Recall, and I've read online that it's a horrible disc. Watching it I kept waiting for it to be horrible, but the picture looked just fine to me. So am I just blind or is the quality bad?
Old August 30 2012, 08:53 PM   #92
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

It's good quality but it's not Blu-Ray quality.
Old August 30 2012, 11:35 PM   #93
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
Plus it has what is probably the best Arnold line ever:

As an aside, I've been curious about this. I have the first BluRay release of Total Recall, and I've read online that it's a horrible disc. Watching it I kept waiting for it to be horrible, but the picture looked just fine to me. So am I just blind or is the quality bad?
Nah, it's fine. The remastered "Mind Bending" edition they recently released is a bit sharper and has different color timing, but that's about it.

*edit: found some comparisons
US blu ray vs. German (?) blu ray
UK Ultimate Rekall/Mind Bending edition vs. German (?) blu ray
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 01:09 AM   #94
Aldo
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's good quality but it's not Blu-Ray quality.
I never got it on DVD, and for six bucks I can't complain
Old January 2 2013, 07:42 PM   #95
davejames
Vice Admiral

Finally watched the remake since it's out now on DVD, and ugh, what a dud. The effects looked great, and some of the action sequences were pretty inventive, but the movie just had no life to it whatsoever. And it had none of the mystery or sense of wonder of the original either.

Colin Farell can be fun to watch in some movies, but for some reason he just comes across incredibly dull playing the standard action hero. His Quaid didn't have even an ounce of the charisma or likeability that Arnold's had. And somehow Arnold was more convincing as the "normal, average Joe" type as well, which is even more bizarre.

I will say some of the new technology they came up with was pretty cool (like the palm phones and those magnetic restraint guns), but that's pretty much all the movie was-- a collection of gadgets and effects and action scenes.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:40 AM   #96
stj
Rear Admiral

Arnold and his one-liners haven't kept me enthralled. Nonetheless, when I caught Total Recall on Redbox, I didn't enjoy it as much. But for me the moment I lost commitment was in the remake's version of the Roy Brocksmith scene. In the original, Brocksmith's character is sweating because he's in fear of his life if he fails to convince Schwarzenegger. In a stroke of poetic justice it gives him away. In the remake, Farrell somehow just knows.

When the hero's most vital decision, the one that cuts closest into his fears of being a spy in peril of his life versus being a man completely deceived and unmanned by his wife, just comes out of the script, my investment in the character really falls apart. Say what you will about Arnold, they at least wrote the scene where he too was really sweating it. Then Arnold resolved it on his own, in what was his biggest feat of the movie. All the rest were just hijinks, that was the one that really mattered. Or at least, that's the way I felt. When it came time for Quaid to decide he wanted to remain Quaid, the people who remade the movie couldn't care either.

Also, by the end the minuscule robot army invades through an easily destroyed beachhead. There hasn't been an on screen mob of military morons like this since the Founders tried to invade through a wormhole they didn't control. If you're going to short out the real drama then you need at least to have the melodramatic "conflict" between genuine foes. These clowns were pretty much doomed to fail. There's no big thrill in seeing a man beat up on losers.
Old January 3 2013, 05:26 AM   #97
davejames
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Arnold and his one-liners haven't kept me enthralled. Nonetheless, when I caught Total Recall on Redbox, I didn't enjoy it as much. But for me the moment I lost commitment was in the remake's version of the Roy Brocksmith scene. In the original, Brocksmith's character is sweating because he's in fear of his life if he fails to convince Schwarzenegger. In a stroke of poetic justice it gives him away. In the remake, Farrell somehow just knows.
Yeah, that was the most disappointing scene for me as well. No matter how many times I watch the original, I can still find myself actually believing that Brocksmith might be telling the truth-- that Arnold really IS still back at Rekall and dreaming the whole damn thing. Verhoeven's direction, the music, and the performances all do a great job selling you on that idea.

The scene in the remake, though, was just pathetic, and not convincing in the least. The fact it went on as long as it did, with Quaid taking forever to make a decision, only made it worse.
Old January 4 2013, 08:52 PM   #98
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Just saw it, too. I knew how badly it was regarded, that there was no Mars (weird) so I figured I'd be happy just to see mindless blow-em-up popcorn, and that's exactly what I got. Waiting for movies to come out on streaming or DVD really solves a lot of the problem of being disappointed since I know exactly what I'm in for.

The major issue was the lack of any dramatic tension in the "is it real" idea. There's no reason this iteration needed to follow the Ahnold movie or the PK Dick story, so they could have done better with that. I was halfway hoping it really was all a Rekall fantasy. Although that would have been an aggravating plot twist, at least it wouldn't have been 100% expected.

The Fall was one of the loopier sci fi ideas I've seen lately. So there's really no more cost-effective way to get from Australia to Europe other than by going through the planet's core? I also enjoyed the way Our Heroes were scrambling around on (apparently) the outside of the vehicle, with no regards to heat or the incredible speeds that sucker must have been travelling at. And for that matter, why have workers commute from Australia to build robots when you could build the robots in Australia and ship them to Europe in a more space-efficient manner than humans would tolerate? But such quibbles violate the principle of watching a movie like this, which is just a notch above a SyFy Saturday night monster movie.

Next up: Looper! I expect that one to be much better.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 09:16 PM   #99
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agreed about the underground tunnel. You mean to tell me they have technology to somehow suspend an entire block of apartments in the air, but they don't have planes or boats that can travel through the restricted area??

It's also hard to believe that Cohaagen would never think once to check the restricted area for the rebels. Especially since all it takes are some simple gas masks to survive in there.
Old January 5 2013, 01:01 AM   #100
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The entire Europe/Australia thing makes no sense whatsoever even more so the train that goes through the center of the Earth. And what of this "restricted area" thing. Does weather and wind not work on the planet anymore? I think in those cases the movie asks for so too much suspension of disbelief. At least from me. Why didn't they just keep the Mars angle? I mean it's really the only thing the first movie had going for it beyond the Ahnold factor and it'd certainly make a hell of a lot more sense than this stupid elevator that goes through the core of the planet!
Old January 5 2013, 01:15 AM   #101
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The major issue was the lack of any dramatic tension in the "is it real" idea. There's no reason this iteration needed to follow the Ahnold movie or the PK Dick story, so they could have done better with that. I was halfway hoping it really was all a Rekall fantasy. Although that would have been an aggravating plot twist, at least it wouldn't have been 100% expected.
I agree, that's what struck me after watching it. I guess if I had never seen the original...

Also, I can appreciate a movie wanting to not be a direct copy but I felt that "The Fall" and the "I Robot"s weren't much of a replacement for the crazy over-the-topness of Mars, Kuato, Benny, Michael Ironside and Ronny Cox, sticking probes up noses, midgets with machine guns and so on. Naturally, out of all that they keep the three-breasted chick but whatever....
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote