RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 483
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 23 2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Fer
Commander

Re: "The Newspaper Strips Vol. 1" hardcover book (oct.2012)

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
This is a perfectly normal delay for IDW. Their reprint collections are habitually late. Absolutely no cause for concern.

I share your sentiment -- we've waited this long: what's a few more weeks? (Of course, as I write this, Amazon is probably sending out a revised release date of mid-2013)
Thank you, Sto-Vo-Kory!
Old November 6 2012, 04:23 PM   #17
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

I've just received yet another email from Amazon stating that this will now be dispatched between December 20th 2012 and January 3rd 2013! I know delays etc. are to be expected, but this has to be the 5th or 6th time that the dispatch date has changed.
Old November 6 2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Daddy Todd
Captain

I got the delay announcement as well. I'm not particularly worried, because another IDW HC scheduled for he same release date (Rocketeer Adventures, vol. 2) has been steadily delayed right in tandem with Newspaper Strips. So it's NOT just the one I'm most looking forward to.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

To my surprise (because I honestly didn't think IDW had undone the Gordian knot of contracts on this), the book should arrive in stores next week. I received a shipping notification this morning.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I received the first volume today.

Yes, it's definitely worth the price tag. It's a big book, and a lot of effort and care went into this. It's really well done, and I look forward to sitting down with it and reading it in the next few weeks.

allyngibson.net
Old December 13 2012, 06:30 AM   #21
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Judging from the preview images, and having never read any of these comics, it appears that they are based on the era of Star Trek: The Motion Picture--so, what I'm asking is this: is it kind of like reading a comic version of the aborted Phase II series? I mean, it seems that Ilia is there--is Decker?

I'm not exactly expecting total literary genius out of a newspaper comic (although it happens from time to time), but can anyone tell me what this strip is like?
Old December 13 2012, 01:33 PM   #22
Fer
Commander

Minuet wrote: View Post
Judging from the preview images, and having never read any of these comics, it appears that they are based on the era of Star Trek: The Motion Picture--so, what I'm asking is this: is it kind of like reading a comic version of the aborted Phase II series? I mean, it seems that Ilia is there--is Decker?

I'm not exactly expecting total literary genius out of a newspaper comic (although it happens from time to time), but can anyone tell me what this strip is like?
Ilia is only there because at the time the strip was being put together, no one told them that Ilia wasn't going to survive the movie. They stopped showing her fairly quickly when they realized. Decker doesn't appear at all, IIRC.

The art and stories are both very well done, especially in the first few years (which are the ones collected in this volume) when it was written and drawn by Thomas Warkentin. The art has a lot of attention to detail-- far more than was done in the Marvel comics of the time period, imho. There are also quite a few nods to the TV series, most notably the frequent use of the phaser rifle from "Where No Man Has Gone Before." And the stories are well written, with a good balance of exploring and action.

The quality of the writing and art starts to drop when Warkentin left, but they're still enjoyable reading. Volume 1 collects all of Warkentin's stories, so it's definitely the volume to get.

And I have to agree with Allyn Gibson, this book is a beauty. My copy arrived yesterday as well, and it was very much worth the wait!
Old December 13 2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Fer wrote: View Post
no one told them that Ilia wasn't going to survive the movie. They stopped showing her fairly quickly when they realized. Decker doesn't appear at all, IIRC.
In the script of "In Thy Image" sold by Lincoln Enterprises in the 80s, the Ilia Probe reverts to a small, burnt-out, inert piece of gadgetry when Decker transcends our universe with V'ger. Then the real Ilia materialises. Thomas Warkentin would have assumed this ending was being used for TMP. (Had the telemovie been followed by regular episodes of "Phase II", which ever script was chosen to be episode #2 would have had a revised opening, with Decker finding a way back to the ship. )

My copy arrived yesterday as well, and it was very much worth the wait!
Sigh. Kings Comics' shipment was divided up by Australian Customs - and guess which box was retained by them for a fine-tooth pre-Christmas search?

Minuet wrote: View Post
but can anyone tell me what this strip is like?
I loved it! Caught up with many strips in 1984 thanks to the "Nostalgiaworld" reprints.

An interesting old review:

http://strippersguide.blogspot.com.a...star-trek.html
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 01:28 AM   #24
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

This edition's quite a beauty. Excited to get into now that my grading is done and I have some free time.

I was quite impressed by the art, too. For newspaper strips of that era they have a fairly high quality threshold.
Old September 19 2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The second volume is now out. My copy is sitting on my desk.

I'm still amazed that these books exist.

allyngibson.net
Old September 19 2013, 11:09 PM   #26
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I'm still amazed that these books exist.
My sentiments exactly.

Star Trek: The Newspaper Comics hardcopy volumes by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 02:10 AM   #27
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Mine is currently "Shipping Now" on Amazon. Quite looking forward to it.