RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,028
Posts: 5,802,492
Members: 26,061
Currently online: 504
Newest member: DarrenTR1970

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Learning Curve
By: Michelle on Jul 31

Star Trek: The Exhibition In Washington State
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

August-September 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Shatner To Pen Book On Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Star Trek Beyond Building Continues
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Trinneer In Western Horror
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 2 2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Knight Templar
Commodore
 
Location: Oklahoma
Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

The bulk of the U.S. is suffering under harsh drought conditions. Temperatures range from murderously hot too only extremely hot (and then it is humid).

In other words, miserable.

Yet, on the upside we haven't had jack for damaging hurricanes this year so far (though many would welcome the rain at least).

So I suppose in regards to the weather that for every loss there is a gain.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Balrog
Commodore
 
Balrog's Avatar
 
Location: Balrog
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Whew!

I thought this was another Chick-fil-A thread...

Rained here today.
__________________
Anybody got some peppermint?
Balrog was Lloyd Dobler
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:42 AM   #3
Knight Templar
Commodore
 
Location: Oklahoma
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Lloyd Dobler wrote: View Post
Whew!

I thought this was another Chick-fil-A thread...

Rained here today.
Lucky devil.

I've almost forgotten what rain is like.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
The bulk of the U.S. is suffering under harsh drought conditions. Temperatures range from murderously hot too only extremely hot (and then it is humid).

In other words, miserable.

Yet, on the upside we haven't had jack for damaging hurricanes this year so far (though many would welcome the rain at least).

So I suppose in regards to the weather that for every loss there is a gain.
Well, hurricane season still is going on but, yeah, there hasn't been any reports of even any named tropical storms, has there? (EDIT: Looks like there's been four named storms this year so far.)

Problem is this drought is going to cause food prices to get jacked up. Milk and egg prices are already on the rise as the animals don't produce as much when it's this hot and dry. Beef prices you'll see drop for the next couple months as beef producers slaughter the cattle earlier in order to not have to worry about keeping them fed. But that's going to rebound before too long and cause prices to skyrocket as the supply decreases and the demand continues.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 03:12 AM   #5
Knight Templar
Commodore
 
Location: Oklahoma
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Knight Templar wrote: View Post
The bulk of the U.S. is suffering under harsh drought conditions. Temperatures range from murderously hot too only extremely hot (and then it is humid).

In other words, miserable.

Yet, on the upside we haven't had jack for damaging hurricanes this year so far (though many would welcome the rain at least).

So I suppose in regards to the weather that for every loss there is a gain.
Well, hurricane season still is going on but, yeah, there hasn't been any reports of even any named tropical storms, has there? (EDIT: Looks like there's been four named storms this year so far.)

Problem is this drought is going to cause food prices to get jacked up. Milk and egg prices are already on the rise as the animals don't produce as much when it's this hot and dry. Beef prices you'll see drop for the next couple months as beef producers slaughter the cattle earlier in order to not have to worry about keeping them fed. But that's going to rebound before too long and cause prices to skyrocket as the supply decreases and the demand continues.
And this if it goes on long enough will cause beef prices to surge next year as ranchers have to rebuild their herds assuming that the drought breaks.

Fewer cattle will be sent to slaughter next year as fewer will be available and calves will be kept for breeding stock.

Droughts suck (dryly).
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 03:18 AM   #6
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Yeah, beef and probably all meat prices are going to skyrocket later this year. I'd recommend people get out now, stock-up and start freezing beef because prices aren't going to get too much better than what they are now for a long while.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 03:40 AM   #7
shivkala
Rear Admiral
 
shivkala's Avatar
 
Location: Patrolling Sector 2814
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

In late June Florida got hit by Tropical Storm Debbie. Not really strong winds by me, but tons and tons of rain. We had a lot of sinkholes here.
__________________
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 03:40 AM   #8
Knight Templar
Commodore
 
Location: Oklahoma
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

People can go deer hunting with renewed purpose this fall.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore
 
Jeff O'Connor's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa, FL
View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

It won't stop pouring in Tampa Bay. I love rain, so it's quite welcoming, but of course I'd share if that were in my power.
__________________
Star Trek
1966-
Jeff O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Talosian
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

In the Northeast, this has been an extremely wet summer. Torrential showers multiple times per week.

The good news is that in a rich country like the U.S. (even in its decline) freak weather is a costly inconvenience but does not lead to famine or civil war.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 04:05 AM   #11
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Talosian wrote: View Post
In the Northeast, this has been an extremely wet summer. Torrential showers multiple times per week.

The good news is that in a rich country like the U.S. (even in its decline) freak weather is a costly inconvenience but does not lead to famine or civil war.
No, there won't be any famine or anything so dramatic, food will just be that much more expensive, though. Which will be a bigger burden on people throughout the nation who are already probably pretty cash-strapped. It also will hurt farmers whose livelihoods depend on well producing crops and livestock which is just going to put a strain on state and federal governments as they provide "disaster relief." It's not going to be an apocalyptic scenario or anything it's just going to be a big pain in the ass for pretty much everyone.

Well, except for the rich.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Squiggy
King of Kings
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: In flux
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
The bulk of the U.S. is suffering under harsh drought conditions. Temperatures range from murderously hot too only extremely hot (and then it is humid).

In other words, miserable.

Yet, on the upside we haven't had jack for damaging hurricanes this year so far (though many would welcome the rain at least).

So I suppose in regards to the weather that for every loss there is a gain.
Well, you can't really have both.

The weather patters that create a hot and dry climate aren't the same weather patterns that allow a hot and wet weather system to develop or move into the area.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Q2UnME
Commodore
 
Q2UnME's Avatar
 
Location: Inman, SC
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Be prepared for double digit inflation. The corn crop in the Midwest is pretty much non-existant. Wheat was so-so and soybeans are probably going to be a poor yeild. Considering 50% of last years corn crop went to ethanol, corn is going to be in very short supply. Expect food, grain based goods,gasoline, cooking oils, anything derived from soy and all meats to go up in cost signifficantly.

This is going to be a rocky Fall. Stock your freezers now...

Q2
__________________
"Love to one, friendship to many and goodwill to all."

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:06 PM   #14
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Talosian wrote: View Post
In the Northeast, this has been an extremely wet summer. Torrential showers multiple times per week.

The good news is that in a rich country like the U.S. (even in its decline) freak weather is a costly inconvenience but does not lead to famine or civil war.
Don't remind me. All it's done is rain here all summer. Especially on the weekends for some odd reason.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 08:28 PM   #15
Knight Templar
Commodore
 
Location: Oklahoma
Re: Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

I still think more research needs to be done into weather modification.

Back in the late 70s, early 80s it seems like you used to hear a lot about cloud seeding and other similar actions.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.