Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 4 2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Pikes Bar Arrival ??

Never figured this out but why did captain pike visit the bar ?? Was he over seeing his cadets or did he know jim kirk would be there. Saying he was a commanding officer you think he would hanging around with officers his rank .?
Old July 4 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Beagleman
Captain

Re: Pikes Bar Arrival ??

I think he knew Kirk was there. I guess access to transporter technology makes it pretty easy to stalk people...
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 03:52 PM   #3
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

What were any of those cadets doing in Iowa? Sure, transporter technology makes it an easy trip to make, but why opt to teleport to a bar in the middle of nowhere, when there are undoubtedly thousands of great bars within easy walking distance of the Academy itself? We are, after all, talking about San Francisco here; one of the most diverse cities in North America, which is utterly famous for it's pubs, eateries, and nightlife.

Seems to me like Pike and his class were in Iowa on a class trip to check out the shipyards. Shipyards that didn't look like the kind of installation that had a lot of frills like dedicated recreational facilities for their own employees, let alone a club for visiting officers and a second for visiting cadets. Ya wanna get a drink or shoot some pool? Then ya pretty much have to go to the same local bar that the dockworkers and other locals frequent. Simple as that.

Last edited by chardman; July 4 2012 at 04:07 PM.
chardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Beagleman
Captain

That makes... alot of sense.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Get drunk then build a ship. That's sounds about right.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 06:58 PM   #6
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Worked for the Egyptians building the Pyramids. . . afterall, beer is liquid bread. . .

~FS
Old July 4 2012, 07:26 PM   #7
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Beagleman wrote: View Post
I think he knew Kirk was there. I guess access to transporter technology makes it pretty easy to stalk people...
No transporters. They all flew back with a shuttle. Picking up McCoy in Iowa as well. Iowa must be the center of public attention.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

When you have teleportation, nowhere is "the middle of nowhere." For all we know, Iowa is the hip n' happening place in the 23rd C.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 08:28 PM   #9
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Maybe in those big arcologies on the horizon, but we saw enough during young Kirk's joyride in the Vette, and adult Kirk's motorcycle ride, to know that future Iowa is about as excitement-free and nowhere-ish as you can get. There's certainly nothing at all in the film that would lead anyone to believe that there's anything remotely hip or happening about the area, let alone something so hip and happening that it could possibly compete with the attractions of the Greater San Francisco Bay Area.
Old July 4 2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Perhaps some of those cadets were actually stationed at the shipyard? I don't know exactly why they would, but they could have been studying the construction of the Enterprise in some way. Perhaps most of them were the cadet class that would be part of the crew, and so they were stationed where the ship was being built.

Pike? Probably dropped in to see Kirk.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Gojira
Commodore

chardman wrote: View Post
Seems to me like Pike and his class were in Iowa on a class trip to check out the shipyards. Shipyards that didn't look like the kind of installation that had a lot of frills like dedicated recreational facilities for their own employees, let alone a club for visiting officers and a second for visiting cadets. Ya wanna get a drink or shoot some pool? Then ya pretty much have to go to the same local bar that the dockworkers and other locals frequent. Simple as that.
I think this is the most logical answer.
Old July 4 2012, 10:53 PM   #12
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Build each day, get drunk by night.

Sydney, Australia, was built on a rum-based economy - because England forgot top send out coins with the convict ships. Sadly, many used to drink their earnings.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 05:21 AM   #13
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Build each day, get drunk by night.

Sydney, Australia, was built on a rum-based economy - because England forgot top send out coins with the convict ships. Sadly, many used to drink their earnings.
Oh God I can see it now....

Flash Forward, July 6th, 2253, A bar in Riverside, Iowa, United States of America

A gentleman walks in, exhausted from the hours of working in the hot sun, dirt on his face and his calloused hands sore from metalwork. He spots a friend sitting in the bar.

"Hey Mark!" he shouts. His friend waves back and calls him over.

"Hey man, I don't know about you, but I wanna get drunk tonight, it's hot and that ship ain't gonna miss us tomorrow is it?" He asked.

"Nope. Hell yes, let's get to it!"

"Barkeep! A Corona and a..."

"Shot of Jager, start off strong why don't we?"

His friend smiles and said, "Make mine a shot of tequila, and keep em coming."

The two friend's begin drinking and reminiscing about old times; family, love, lost love, school, life. After a while of course, the alcohol (synthehol is a no-no tonight) takes it's toll on the two...

"Hey hey hey, remember that chick in a San Flanslisc-burp-o?"

"The redhead? The one that busted a window with a rock?"

"Yeah! What happened to her?!"

"That was my mother you ass! And she kinda had to pay for that window..."

"Aw, HEY! Whatthey got chu working on?"

"Uh...uh... fu...fus... the fusion reactors! I'm putting those in! What about you?"

"Uh...duh...I'm putting in those things that... you know those things that look like giant..." He places his hands over his chest.

"Oh the ti... the the the lasers!"

"Shhhhhhh*chuckle*hhhhhhh don't call em lasers! Old Man April will chop your face off! *in a dramatic voice* They're PHASERS!"

Both men laugh uncontrollably.

Tis' an average day for the average Federation shipbuilder.

Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The bar scene took place at night. I'm sure those cadets had all wrapped up their duty shifts for the day.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 10:52 AM   #15
starburst
Fleet Captain

Why does anyone think Pike would be there because Kirk was there, he clearly said that he was shocked when he found out who he was.

The most logical reason has already been said, the cadets were on a class trip to the ship yard and Pike was either a tutor or possibly overseeing the construction of the Enterprise. His being at the bar could range from checking up on the cadets or going for a drink himself.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote