Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 22 2013, 03:19 AM   #46
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What was your frist star trek experience

When I was five I met a my life-long best friend. Him and his brothers were really into Star Trek. The first episode I ever saw was TOS "Devil in the Dark". They had rented it from a local rental that carried dozens of tapes. I wasn't sold immediately, but maybe year later I watched a few rerun episodes of TNG in a hotel room I was staying in for a soccer tournament. I immediately got hooked and haven't stopped loving Trek.
Old February 22 2013, 05:09 AM   #47
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Best of Both Worlds, Pt 1, when it first aired.

Back then I was too young to really get into it, but I latched onto it a few years later, in syndication between seasons 6 and 7, then I watched season 7 new.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 08:02 AM   #48
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

My first experience was when I was pre-K in the early 1970's. One afternoon, I was switching between our three UHF network channels, and I tuned into Vanna tied to the pedestal, being tortured by the rays. Needless to say, that made quite an impression on me. I finished out the episode and picked up the basics of Kirk, transporters, phasers, and the ship. Haven't looked back.

Funny, I was just thinking about that tonight before I saw this thread—how it all began for me.
Old February 22 2013, 11:35 AM   #49
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's all my Trekkie Mum's fault. She sat me down to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation on it's UK debut in I think 1990. I'm sure she's regretted it ever since!
Old February 23 2013, 06:50 PM   #50
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant Commander

It was a Sunday in the summer of 2007. They were playing episodes of TOS-R and I had missed it but I caught the theme song and wanted to watch this "Old Scifi Series" and the next week I was hooked.
CaptainMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 06:55 PM   #51
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It was probably on a Saturday afternoon watching a rerun of TOS as a kid in 1975 or 1976.
Old February 23 2013, 08:28 PM   #52
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

The Best of Both Worlds, Part I the morning that Part II premiered. I saw Star Trek episodes and movies before that, but that's the first one I really remember.
Old February 26 2013, 03:12 PM   #53
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

When I was about ten and living over on the continent, I was watching TV and something weird called "Raumschiff Enterprise" (Spaceship Enterprise, i.e. the original Star Trek) came on. I was about to turn it off because I was decidedly not a sci-fi kid; anything with aliens and spaceships just wasn't my thing. Then at my parents' prompting I watched it anyway.
All I remember is Spock with his funny ears arguing with the captain about logic - and that could have been any episode!
(And I remember thinking: "why the hell is everyone going around wearing pyjamas in the future?")
Old February 26 2013, 03:28 PM   #54
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

I grew up on the re-runs of TOS in the 80s. My parents (mostly my dad, my mom was more of a Dr. Who fan) used to watch it. I can't remember the first episode I ever saw, but I do remember faking being sick so I wouldn't have to go to church so I could watch it one Sunday evening
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 07:23 PM   #55
Chuck98x
Cadet

As a matter of fact, about 3 weeks ago. I finally got around to watching the Star Trek movie (alternate reality) and loved it. So I began watching TOS about 2 weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm a little mad at myself for not giving Star Trek a chance earlier though.
Chuck98x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 10:10 AM   #56
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

I was in primary school,when i first saw trek on tv.didnt know what it was back then.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 02:38 PM   #57
WillowsWelsh
Ensign

I watched TOS when it first aired in the 60s. I can't recall if I saw the pilot then or if it was in syndication when I saw the pilot. Spock was my first crush. My kids were in elementary school when TNG came out. Star Trek is one of the strongest bonds that exist in our family. If there's ever a lull in any family gathering, we can always talk/debate Trek. My 13 year old granddaughter is third generation Trek, and she loves it as much as the rest of us.

Enterprise became my favorite. Voyager for my daughter. TNG is the favorite of my son and granddaughter. So we have a lot to debate, not to mention all the movies.
WillowsWelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 09:04 PM   #58
feek61
Captain

I remember to this day the first time I ever saw Star Trek; it scared the crap out of me, lol. It was when the episode "Charlie X" first aired and when the girl with no face came around the corner; it scared me to death!! I had nightmares about that for years, lol, but it also hooked me and I have been a life-long Trek fan since then.

During syndication in the early 1970's myself and my best friend would watch the episodes (which came on every day at 5:00 PM) and make detailed (or as detailed as we could) drawings of the sets, props, etc., I still have that notebook which is really interesting to browse through and I'm still doing detailed drawings to this day, lol. Some things never changes

Check out my site and you will see what I mean, lol !!!

Last edited by feek61; March 17 2013 at 03:14 AM.
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 04:04 PM   #59
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

As a little kid growing up in rural New York where we got three channels, I wasn't exposed to Trek until the age of eight at my grandparent's house when I saw some episodes of Next Gen during its initial run (I think it had hit syndication at the time, because their local Fox channel showed it every night). Once we moved to New Jersey and GOT the channels that showed Trek, I was completely and utterly hooked for life.

On top of that, a great aunt of mine had recorded the 25th Anniversary TV special onto a VHS tape that contained the "Viewers Choice Top Ten Original Star Trek Episodes". It was through that tape that I got to know the original crew.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:27 AM   #60
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
It's "not" what got you started?

My first experience was seeing The Doomsday Machine when I was 5 years old and shatting myself in fear.
You too huh??? I was around the same age watching it back in 1960s with my dad. That planet eating machine with the sparkler scared the hell out of me.