Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 1 2012, 04:20 PM   #31
Lucky
Commander

Re: What was your frist star trek experience

No idea. I was probably exposed very young by my dad. I don't remember when I first saw any of TOS or TNG, I always remember knowing who they were. I do remember having a VHS copy of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home when I was a kid, so I think that was likely one of the earliest things I saw, and it was definitely the most rewatched when I was younger. I do vaguely remember seeing my first DS9 (the one with Q) when I was a kid at my grandfather's house.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 06:10 PM   #32
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I was born in 1967 and my parents watched it. I grew up watching it in syndication from a very early age so I can't remember even starting to watch it.
Old August 5 2012, 01:13 AM   #33
Yeoman Basha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, I couldn't begin to tell you the first episode I ever saw because it was about 40 years ago when I first discovered Star Trek. So obviously I'm talking about TOS because the Trek movies and other series weren't even a twinkle in Roddenberry's eye at that time.

My primary memory is watching the show every night in syndication, on a UHF station on little TV in my parents' bedroom. I would lie on my parents bed and just watch and go through all these intense emotions as the stories unfolded. Of course I was only eight or nine back then, but compared to everything else that was on TV in the early 70s, Star Trek was so unique and different and I just loved it.
Yeoman Basha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 01:24 AM   #34
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I watched TOS in repeats with my older brother. I must have been kindergarten age when I first watched Trek because in first grade I was already such a fan that I wanted to go as Spock to the school carnival. My mother made some Vulcan ears for me out of cardboard.
Sadly, none of my classmates recognised the costume and, what's worse, when I told them that I was Mr. Spock from the Enterprise they just gave me blank stares. Apparently, they had all lied about how often they watched TV from the West (this was in the GDR). I remember being quite astonished by the fact that there were people who didn't know what Star Trek was.
A few years later, TNG premiered here and I watched all Trek shows in their first run here.
My mother watched what I assume was the original run of TOS here when she was pregnant with my older brother, so in a way, Star Trek has been with us for a long time.
Old August 5 2012, 01:57 AM   #35
los2188
Commander

what was your frist star trek experience......I'm assuming that you meant first, not frist...haha...just giving you a hard time. My first was some movie called Star Trek The Motion Picture. Even at my tender age way back when, I found IIlea oddly attractive considering she was bald.
Old August 5 2012, 02:28 AM   #36
Admiral Rex
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Admiral Rex's Twitter Profile

My first Star Trek experience was in the early 70s, but I hated it.

I remember my dad watching both TOS and the Planet of the Apes when I was a kid. I thought both shows were weird, boring and creepy. Especially after Star Wars came out, Trek's sfx looked cheap and there was very little action. Turn on Six Million Dollar Man!

In 1979, I went to see ST:TMP with my family and loved the sfx, but the movie was just as weird and boring as the TV show. When we walked out of the theater, I asked my dad, "What was that cloud thing they went into?" He paused and said, "I'm not really sure."

I was blown away by STII:TWOK! Loved it! A local TV station showed "Space Seed" as the prequel to TWOK. I thought it was just OK, but I continued to see each movie as they came out and really liked them. I still wasn't a big fan of the TV show, but my friend and I would watch Star Trek at midnight in college to make fun of the acting and sfx. I remember watching the premiere of TNG (Encounter At Farpoint) and thought it was as weird and boring as TOS.

As the series went on and as I got older, I really started to get into Star Trek. The stories were insightful with great characters, social commentary and philosophy. This was grown-up SF and I was now getting what it was really all about! I became a real fan in 1989. Since then, I've seen every episode of each series, read nearly 300 novels and been to quite a few conventions.
Admiral Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 04:30 AM   #37
BruntFCA
Commander

Growing up my mom was a big TNG fan so I always kind of knew the characters even though I don't remember actually watching any episodes. So one day I was really bored and decided to check out some episodes my mom had on VHS and was hooked.
Old August 5 2012, 05:11 AM   #38
ngc7293
Commander

I don't remember how old I was but it was the early 70's and catching reruns of Star Trek was always a momentous occasion. I DO remember sitting too close to the TV, so I couldn't have been THAT old
Old August 6 2012, 01:48 AM   #39
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I remember in first grade, we once had a play leader from a higher grade who organized us into playing Star Trek. I got to be Mr. Spock, but other than recognizing what they looked like, and that Spock had the pointed ears, and there was a big space ship, I didn't really know anything about it. I actually think most of the playing consisted of just running around the yard.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 02:41 PM   #40
Newton
Lieutenant Commander

I'm pretty sure my first exposure to Trek was watching Skin of Evil on TV in the early nineties, when I was about 9. Luckily my local video store had all the tapes and my parents were willing to rent them for me.
Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:20 PM   #41
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My earliest memories were trying to watch TOS and TAS through the non-cable, rabbit ear TV reception of the mid to late 70s. Also, two of the people in my household were not scifi fans so my older sis and I had to struggle to watch it till I got my own TV. She was the one that got me into scifi in general. I didn't become a full fledged Trekkie till 1983 though. I recorded episodes on analog audio tapes, I listened to STII and III on audiotapes from movie booklets before I saw the movies themselves. I watched the show on my little 13" b&w tv then a 13" color TV by about 1982-83.
Old February 21 2013, 11:40 PM   #42
yousirname
Commander

If Star Trekkin' counts, then that was my first experience of Trek. Otherwise it was watching TAS as part of my Saturday morning cartoon line-up. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what made me a fan of the show. That didn't happen until I started watching TNG around '91 or '92. Then one summer Sky started running TOS when they ran out of TNG, so I watched that and was surprised to find it enjoyable, too.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:50 PM   #43
marksound
Fleet Captain

A Wednesday evening in 1967, the spring of my first grade year of school, running home from a friend's house 2 blocks away. I came in the door, ready for dinner, and Trek was on TV. I stopped, fascinated, to see what it was. After a few seconds my dad told me to change the channel and wash up.

I tried to catch it when I could, but it wasn't until later in reruns that I could see what had caught my attention years before.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 02:23 AM   #44
Metryq
Captain

I was born in '65 and probably watched a few episodes in first run, but the show likely didn't sink in until I saw it in reruns. I do remember nightmares about "The Doomsday Machine." Most monsters one can run away from, at least for a little while. The DM could get you anywhere.

Also, my dad was a high school English teacher and taught a special class using sci-fi literature. The class viewed a few TREK episodes, too, among which was "The Enemy Within." I remember playing with a reel-to-reel VTR from the school, crawling through the phaser shot frame-by-frame.
Old February 22 2013, 03:18 AM   #45
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I must have been 7 years old, because my first exposure was a prime-time showing of "The Lights of Zetar" on NBC. When the woman dies on Memory Alpha, it was pretty scary, even on a b&w TV. I didn't like it. But by a year or so later I was watching the syndicated reruns and eating it up.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote