Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 30 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
los2188
Commander

A new Vulcan character????

My little boy asked me this question regarding a new Star Trek series of adventures and so I told him that I would ask the question... He wants to know what all of you would think about a character that was Vulcan, in Starfleet of course, but was raised by Klingons or some other emotional species, but is striving to live his or her life the Vulcan way. Do you think that would be interesting?
Old July 31 2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: A new Vulcan character????

It has possibilities, but I wouldnt go with Klingons because it's too much a rehash of Worf's biography. Could play with the Romulan/ Vulcan thing...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 12:46 AM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

In one of my old fanfics, I had a Vulcan character who was born on Vulcan, but raised on Earth. Growing up alongside Humans, she combined the best of both worlds, capable of being extremely factual and objective, but also possessing a deadpan sense of humor at times. Sorta like Spock during Star Treks V and VI (and sometimes she would quote Spock that "Logic is only the beginning of wisdom").
Old July 31 2012, 01:05 AM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Could be interesting...

But we've done characters with a similar setup at least three times: Worf, Odo and Torres.

There would need to be a hook that makes the character something more than a variation on an already explored theme.
Old July 31 2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Tcsfan
Lieutenant Commander

That could be cool but how about a human raised by vulcans that could be cool he could be like a Vulcan logical but he would still have a little emotion be cause if you remember vulcans have emotions but the control them
Tcsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander

I just curious, what is the different between Vulcan and Human anyway, beside their pointy ears? Without their culture that dedicated to mental discipline and logical way of think, Vulcan is... humane. So I guess he / she will become like a human if raised by a Human. Except maybe when they are in breeding season. Well, that will become interesting.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 08:42 AM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Brainsucker wrote: View Post
I just curious, what is the different between Vulcan and Human anyway, beside their pointy ears? Without their culture that dedicated to mental discipline and logical way of think, Vulcan is... humane.
Appearance and culture are the primary differences between every alien species in the Star Trek universe, with the levels varying for each one.
So I guess he / she will become like a human if raised by a Human.
That also could be true for every alien race. It's even possible for a Human child to act like a Vulcan if he or she was raised by Vulcan parents and chose their way of life. Worf embraced his Klingon heritage as a child raised by Humans, but some Klingons may think that he might have developed a few Human tendencies along the way nonetheless.
Old August 5 2012, 04:26 AM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

There is a certain conjecture that Vulcans have to control their emotions, because down inside, they're all homicidal maniacs. A Vulcan raised among Humans would not be taught those controls, certainly not the same way.

Still, it might be interesting to see how much of the Vulcan daily non-emotion is attributable to Vulcan culture, and how much is biological.

The Human raised Vulcan might come to realize that they are actually incapable of full Human emotional expression. They can smile at the appropriate times, but not really feel happiness. Or hate, fear, passion (outside of Pon Farr), and love. That when it comes right down to it, their emotional scale is permanently set to "low."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2012, 10:59 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
There is a certain conjecture that Vulcans have to control their emotions, because down inside, they're all homicidal maniacs.
It's not conjecture, it's been confirmed onscreen by Spock and Tuvok that if a Vulcan loses emotional control, he does indeed turn into a homicidal maniac if he's truly pissed off. Even nuSarek went on to say that Vulcans really feel emotions more deeply than Humans do.
Old August 5 2012, 11:16 PM   #10
nightwind1
Commodore

Tcsfan wrote: View Post
That could be cool but how about a human raised by vulcans that could be cool he could be like a Vulcan logical but he would still have a little emotion be cause if you remember vulcans have emotions but the control them
In some of the Pike-era fanfic I used to write, I had Number One as Christine Chapel's twin sister, who (for reasons I don't remember right now) had been sent as a child to live on Vulcan.

I thought it was an interesting explanation for her nearly emotionless, logical attitude we saw in "The Cage".

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 04:21 AM   #11
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

The Human raised Vulcan might come to realize that they are actually incapable of full Human emotional expression. They can smile at the appropriate times, but not really feel happiness. Or hate, fear, passion (outside of Pon Farr), and love. That when it comes right down to it, their emotional scale is permanently set to "low."
No, it's actually the opposite. Their default setting is not "low" but "uncontrollable." It's not so much that they're all homicidal maniacs inside, just that their emotions are so powerful that they must control them to a greater degree than other species. Some Vulcans are able to express more emotions than others without totally losing it, while others need to keep a tighter leash on their emotions.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote