IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 9 2012, 02:21 AM   #16
inflatabledalek
Captain

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R

By the end of season Worf's sash is (understandably as, IIRC, it was Kor's from TOS and thus the oldest prop on the show) visibly falling apart. Lots of black smudges and a generally very tatty feeling to it.

Does anyone know if the All Good Things version is the same prop or a replica? It'll be interesting to see if it looks in any better condition by the time we get there.
Old August 9 2012, 04:28 PM   #17
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I don't know for sure, but it definitely looks like the same piece. One thing I always found amusing is that they kept Worf's new, more defined, ridges in the Farpoint scenes, instead of recreating his original look.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 05:07 PM   #18
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think that was the right move. With all the jumping around in time it would have looked weird to see Worf's makeup constantly changing in every other scene.

Actually, being so emmersed in the first season again, those flashback scenes in AGT now look weirder than ever. They're all wearing the same uniforms, but suddenly look much older (especially Data, who doesn't look nearly as thin as he did). And details like the wrong bridge carpet color really stand out more as well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Borjis
Commodore

I just noticed in Symbiosis, when Merrit Buttrick lets go of Jonathan after threatening to kill him and he falls down you can see the top back of his hair is VERY thin/balding. I didn't think Frake's hair was thin until way later in the movies.

Coming of Age and the device on Mordock's chest, I never realized how colorful the lights were or that the support rods were yellow and red.

The Binars heads are fairly colorful too, they looked more gray originally.

I have to say I was not much of a fan of S1 and never bought the DVD set,
partly because the episodes looked so dark and the color of the uniforms were more violet colored.
with these remastered episodes they are much more accurate to the rest of the show and
the dark seems to be much brighter some how.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 06:54 PM   #20
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

That could one of the writer's challenges: tell the story of the lower decks people responding to that appearing off the ship while the main cast are dealing with what happened in the episode!

dJE

trekker670 wrote: View Post
This one's debatable, but I think you can see some sort of drapery or perhaps even a reflection of some equipment out the conference room windows. At first I thought it was a reflection in the windows, but it doesn't appear to change with the angle of the camera at all.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_069.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_070.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_048.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_050.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_047.jpg
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
This one's debatable, but I think you can see some sort of drapery or perhaps even a reflection of some equipment out the conference room windows. At first I thought it was a reflection in the windows, but it doesn't appear to change with the angle of the camera at all.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_069.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_070.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_048.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_050.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_047.jpg
I've always seen those odd things in multiple first season episodes, on both the left and right windows, depending upon the camera angle. It's just more obvious now. I think it's where the curved glass distorts either the starfield behind it, or a reflection in front of it.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 07:02 PM   #22
cbspock
Rear Admiral

You can see the power cords on the floor of sickbay going to the diagnostic displays in several episodes. In the Battle in Picard's quarters you can see the paint is not smooth near one of the windows. Also, in Conspiracy when Geordi gets thrown threw the doors, you can clearly see they are wood panels.

-Chris
Old August 9 2012, 07:14 PM   #23
davejames
Vice Admiral

Borjis wrote: View Post
I just noticed in Symbiosis, when Merrit Buttrick lets go of Jonathan after threatening to kill him and he falls down you can see the top back of his hair is VERY thin/balding. I didn't think Frake's hair was thin until way later in the movies.
Yeah I've noticed that his hair looks a bit thinner in HD as well. I'm thinking they must have covered it up in later seasons.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

In one of the episodes I watched this week, can't remember which one, might've been either "Home Soil" or "When the Bough Breaks", Tasha's standing in the background at her usual spot on the bridge and you can see black shoelaces sticking out of her boots.
Old August 10 2012, 01:49 AM   #25
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Again, this isn't so much something that's been newly revealed in the HD update, but simply more noticeable: you can see that the static starfield behind the windows aren't just a big curtain behind the set, but are a series of walls/floors as you can see the corners and change in perspective/angle. This was most noticeable to me in the episode "Home Soil" when Riker goes to talk to the girl in her quarters, she's looking out the window and to her right you can see the stars all cluster together because you're now looking parallel to the side wall instead of perpendicular to the back wall. A similar situation in the same episode when Picard is talking to the terraforming crew in the conference room, you can see the difference between the stars on the floor and the back wall as the camera moves around the conference room.

Here's an SD cap from the scene:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...omesoil137.jpg
Old August 15 2012, 07:04 AM   #26
JRoss
Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post
You can see Denise Crosby's mark in The Naked Now when she finds Geordi in the observation room.
Watch Denise act. You can see her looking for her marks in scenes.
Old August 15 2012, 02:20 PM   #27
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I've seen numerous times Michael Dorn's makeup doesn't go all the way to the color, or it's at worn off from his costume rubbing it off. I've also noticed chest hair coming out of the top of his uniform in most of these cases as well.
Old August 15 2012, 06:31 PM   #28
Mott the barber
Commodore

In "The Big Goodbye," in the scene in the conference room where Picardi s gushing about the holodeck program to the senior staff, closeups of Riker reveal part of a black undershirt underneath his uniform (probably to block the chest hair)!
Old August 15 2012, 07:55 PM   #29
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I think a lot of the makeup and hair issues are a problem with the spandex jumpsuit. I think once they add the collar in season 3 I think a lot less of these will be noticeable.
Old August 15 2012, 08:00 PM   #30
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Also, in "Coming of Age" you could see the curvature of the CRT monitors they used in the testing room rather.