Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2013, 07:49 PM   #826
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Deconstruction of Falling Stars - Many actually like this episode, but, take comfort in the fact this was a last minute rush job to replace the Series Finale (Once TNT renewed B5 for a Season 5). I think it's hilarious watching Delenn put the Talking Heads in their place, "...And you have come much further to say even less"

Lochley is only in 11 of the Season 5 episodes, so, even if you don't grow to like her, at least she's not in every episode

I enjoyed Intersections in Real Time when it originally aired, but, it's not one I look forward to on a rewatch, but, that's mostly because it's painful imagining the abuse Sheridan was put through, not because I think it was a poorly done episode, and actually, I guess it's because it was such a well acted episode

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 07:53 PM   #827
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

She's only in 11 episodes? Thats weird. I figured since she was the new commander, and has a prominent place on the DVD case, that she'd be a big part of the main cast. Still, if episode one was any indication, I'm not complaining about the fact she's only in 11 episodes.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 08:01 PM   #828
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
She's only in 11 episodes? Thats weird. I figured since she was the new commander, and has a prominent place on the DVD case, that she'd be a big part of the main cast. Still, if episode one was any indication, I'm not complaining about the fact she's only in 11 episodes.
She too was a last minute change. Ivanova was supposed to be in S5, but, the Actress and/or her agent played around with Salary Negotiations too long, and she didn't answer by the dedline, so, Captain Lochley was created and Ivanova was given her own ship offscreen (Though Ivanova returns in the Series Finale, which was filmed prior to S5, when it looked like there was going to be no Season 5, and it was originally going to air as 4.22 instead of Descontruction of Falling Stars).

I'm not sure why Lochley is in only half the episodes, if it was availability or her character just not organically fitting into all the scripts). Sinc she is in half of the Episodes as a regular, she is credited for all the episodes, SAG rules.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 08:35 PM   #829
JoeD80
Captain

Also, I'm pretty sure the sun has billions of years, not a million, before it goes nova
It wasn't a natural phenomenon. As JMS said at the time (paraphrasing), "well what would the sun do if hundreds of jump points opened up inside of it?"

Also, I have a question. I know there is an in universe reason why G'Kar has mismatching eyes (they needed to wait before adjusting the implant to make it match his real eye) but was there a real life reason? Maybe G'kar's actor couldn't have a fake eye lens on that eye for some reason? Its not a big deal, I'm just wondering.
Andreas was just a very professional actor and willing to do whatever the story required. I believe his eyes were both naturally brown.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why Lochley is in only half the episodes, if it was availability or her character just not organically fitting into all the scripts). Sinc she is in half of the Episodes as a regular, she is credited for all the episodes, SAG rules.
Tracy's contract was for 8 episodes, so she actually appeared in a few more than planned.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:44 PM   #830
flavaflav
Commander

'The Face of the Enemy' is easily my favorite B5 episode. The bar scene is completely brilliant. Mike Vejar's directing job during that sequence is fantastic and the music fits the scene to a T. I love this episode.
flavaflav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 10:28 PM   #831
Aeon
Commander

Also, I have a question. I know there is an in universe reason why G'Kar has mismatching eyes (they needed to wait before adjusting the implant to make it match his real eye) but was there a real life reason? Maybe G'kar's actor couldn't have a fake eye lens on that eye for some reason? Its not a big deal, I'm just wondering.
Katsulas' eye color was brown so he still wore contacts in both eyes during this time.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 11:26 PM   #832
Snatcher42
Lieutenant Commander

I think the first half of Season 5 is the show's weakest run. Yeah, Season 1 had some awkward moments, but at least it was world building.

Others can fill you in on why this happened if you're interested, Kirk. But basically it comes down to story compression in season 4, a last minute renewal, an unexpected cast change, exhaustion, and hotel staff throwing out a bunch of notes and script work. Not fun times!

However, it's worth slogging through these weaker episodes in order to get to the final stretch.

Last edited by Snatcher42; March 26 2013 at 03:39 AM.
Snatcher42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 01:01 AM   #833
Jan
Commodore

My opinion is that Lochley's character was fleshed out in those episodes than Ivanova's was in her first season.

Season 5 has to build up momentum after so much being settled in Season 4. But for me a real bonus of the season is getting some of the eps that had been set aside from the intensity of the fourth season.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 01:50 AM   #834
JD
Admiral

I'm pretty sure I liked Deconstruction of Falling Stars. But then I tend to like episodes that do something unusual like that.
Old March 26 2013, 02:12 AM   #835
flavaflav
Commander

I dug 'Deconstruction'. I thought the debate between the talking heads was great. I believe some of that was ad libbed. Hologram Garibaldi outsmarting future Talon was good. Seeing Vorlon Rangers was cool. Nice foreshadowing too...
flavaflav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:37 AM   #836
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

1,000,000+ Humans = Vorlons. Also, I'm pretty sure the sun has billions of years, not a million, before it goes nova
I'm pretty sure that the humans blew up the sun intentionally.

I'm also pretty sure that the Vorlons did the same thing to the Dilger, just over a longer period of time.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 05:24 AM   #837
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
1,000,000+ Humans = Vorlons. Also, I'm pretty sure the sun has billions of years, not a million, before it goes nova
I'm pretty sure that the humans blew up the sun intentionally.
JMS addressed the whole sun thing, saying the line about "atypical solar emissions" was meant to show the sun ending wasn't part of its natural life, but it's never clarified whether that was the humans' doing or someone or something else's.
Old March 26 2013, 11:09 AM   #838
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Deconstruction of Falling Stars is my favourite episode of Babylon 5. It's ambitious, experimental, bold and complex. I have no idea how anybody could rate it as the show at its worst.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 11:55 AM   #839
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Deconstruction of Falling Stars is my favourite episode of Babylon 5. It's ambitious, experimental, bold and complex. I have no idea how anybody could rate it as the show at its worst.
It's one of my favorite episodes too, but hey, different strokes and all that.
Old March 26 2013, 06:52 PM   #840
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Don't know about anyone else but I've given up trying to make sense of Kirk's tastes by this point.

As for 'Deconstruction': Personally I liked it. Not my favourite, but not even close to the worse. What a lot of people miss about the +500 segment is that it's a total '1984' pastiche. The "good facts" bloke (played by guy who played George Francisco in the 'Alien Nation' TV series) spoke almost pure Orwellian newspeak. Similarly, the +1000 segment was a pastiche on 'A Canticle for Leibowitz'.

Personally I liked how it showed that the future isn't plain sailing from here on out. It's a long hard road and we'll occasionally stumble along the way. As much as our heroes changed the future for the better, they didn't create a perfect world where they all lived happily ever after. It ain't that kind of story.

As for the fate of B5 itself; I don't know if you noticed (though Deconstruction should have made it blatantly obvious) the whole show is a story being told in the past tense. It's already happened. It's history, told by those who where there. Indeed the pilot movie begins with a voice over by Londo saying: "I was there at the dawn of
the Third Age of mankind."

Hell, the title sequence of each episode begins pretty much the same: "It was the dawn of the Third Age of mankind...", "The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace." "...in the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater...", "It was the year everything changed."

As for the station itself, well: "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon Stations..." Not "was the last", not "is the last." Past tense again. Besides, way back in season one ('Signs and Portents') we were shown a vision from a Centauri prophetess of the station's destruction and what other Centauri prophecy were we shown in season one?

Before you go on a rant about "stupid spoilers" though Kirk, remember: Context. Matters.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote