Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 5 2012, 08:11 PM   #346
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I might just skip the first part, and see if the story evolves into something better in Part 2/3, by which point I'm guessing they abandon the "John is going to marry a princess" thing.
As I recall most of the important plot points are found in parts 2 and 3, but my memory is hazy. It just rubs me the wrong way to skip part of a story like that.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:17 PM   #347
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Its not ideal, but if it means saving me 40+ minutes of John pretending to want to marry a princess he doesn't care for, while aeryn is just getting messed with all leading up to John not marrying the princess anyway, then it would be worth it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:21 PM   #348
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

or a creature/person that seems peaceful is actually a killer in disguise,
They've done that a few times but usually there's an additional twist later.

At any rate, even when they do use cliches they're very good about hanging a lantern on it. A quote from a future episode....

John Crichton wrote:
God-like aliens...man, do I hate god-like aliens! I'll trade a critter for a god-like alien, any day.
Its not ideal, but if it means saving me 40+ minutes of John pretending to want to marry a princess he doesn't care for, while aeryn is just getting messed with all leading up to John not marrying the princess anyway, then it would be worth it.
That's not how it goes, really. John never has any interest. The entire thing is political.
Old October 5 2012, 08:29 PM   #349
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I know, thats why I said he's pretending to want to marry a princess he doesn't care for. Its been done a lot in tv shows/movies/books, and I just have no desire to see this particular cliche again.
Old October 5 2012, 08:41 PM   #350
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

No, I mean he's not pretending even. This is the trouble with assumptions....he never shows any interest whatsoever.

This trilogy is about the internal politics of a planet. John is just a convenient tool for their purposes, and they are twisting his arm.
Old October 5 2012, 09:56 PM   #351
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Why not give the episode a chance. Don't go just by reading what the plot says. There's more to it than meets the eye and if you skip a part of a trilogy, then you are doing yourself a disservice.
Old October 5 2012, 10:01 PM   #352
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Kirk, you do not know what happens in these episodes or in Farscape as a whole. You have certain expectations and assumptions, but one of Farscape's goals and it's strength is that that it constantly strives to subvert those. Get used to it.

Or don't. You clearly are unable to look beyond your preconceived ideas. Stop watching.
Old October 6 2012, 12:54 AM   #353
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Kirk, you do not know what happens in these episodes or in Farscape as a whole. You have certain expectations and assumptions, but one of Farscape's goals and it's strength is that that it constantly strives to subvert those. Get used to it.

Or don't. You clearly are unable to look beyond your preconceived ideas. Stop watching.
No, I'm not going to stop watching. I've enjoyed a lot of what I've seen so far, too much to just stop. I will say that, after about a season and a half, subverting expectations is not a strength of the series. If I'm sure its going to suck, its sucked. After her first appearance, I expected I'd hate Chiana. I do. After seeing the first 2 minutes of Jeremiah Chrichton/A human Reacton, I knew they'd be bad episodes. From my point of view, I was right.

I don't need to "look beyond my preconceived ideas". I don't even know if I have many preconcieved ideas when it comes to this show. I didn't hate Chiana the very first time on screen, she earned my hate. Sure, she did it in her first episode, but it wasn't hate at first sight or anything. I will admit to hating the cliches, but thats because they are done poorly. You can do the "guy returns to a earth that he thinks is his own, but it isn't" thing well, Farscape just didn't do it. I'll admit that for some of these cliches, like the guy forced into marriage thing, I'm probably going to dislike even
if they are done well, but my mind can be changed, Farscape is just probably not the show thats going to do it at this point.

Why should I stop watching a show I've enjoyed a good portion of? I want to know what happens to John, Aeryn, Zhaan, Rygel, D'argo and Pilot. I want to see their adventures. Heck, I even want to see what happens with Crais and Talon, even if Talon is just a plot device that exsists just to put the crew into dangerous situations. Farscape is going through a rough patch, but with over 50 episodes left, I'm sure the average quality of the episodes will improve. I mean, it will still have the ocassional Chiana episode, unfortunately, but I still like the overall series plot, its just a bit of a struggle waiting for the show's writing to stop fluctuating in quality so much.
Old October 6 2012, 01:17 AM   #354
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

You can do the "guy returns to a earth that he thinks is his own, but it isn't" thing well, Farscape just didn't do it.
YOU JUST ADMITTED YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE EPISODE.
Old October 6 2012, 01:23 AM   #355
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
You can do the "guy returns to a earth that he thinks is his own, but it isn't" thing well, Farscape just didn't do it.
YOU JUST ADMITTED YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE EPISODE.
I said I watched the first part, and then when it became obvious it was a "guy arrives on fake earth" episode, I skipped it. I didn't mention I had skipped to the very end, just to confim I was right (as opposed to just exiting the episode completely), with one stop in the middle of the episode to see that the others had somehow shown up on the fake earth. It seemed like exactly what I thought it would be, so I did basically skip it. I did read a summary of it, as well (not just a small synopsis, a larger summary of the whole episode) just to make sure I hadn't missed anything really important to the show overall, or something really interesting. So, I didn't really "watch it", but I do have a general idea of what happened.
Old October 6 2012, 02:58 AM   #356
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I'll just reiterate that I think the Princess trilogy is one of the high points of season 2.
Old October 6 2012, 05:18 AM   #357
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I really enjoyed the "Princess" episodes too.
But then again, I absolutely love Chiana, and I think A Human Reaction is one of the best Season 1 episodes.
I'm honestly kind of starting to wonder if Farscape just isn't for you. You seem to be have quite a bit of trouble dealing with some pretty important elements of the series.
Old October 6 2012, 06:43 PM   #358
DWF
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 should be allowed to like of dislike whatever he wants, personally I found the Princess trilogy to repetitive they should've kept it as a two parter.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 07:46 PM   #359
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
But then again, I absolutely love Chiana, and I think A Human Reaction is one of the best Season 1 episodes.
I'm honestly kind of starting to wonder if Farscape just isn't for you. You seem to be have quite a bit of trouble dealing with some pretty important elements of the series.
I like the show a lot. I don't think hating Chiana is enough reason for me to give up the show, and neither is really disliking overly cliche stories. Looking at the synopsis on wikipedia, it looks like the episodes get better after the Princess trilogy, so I'll probably just read in depth summaries of those three episodes (and Beware of Dog and Won't get Fooled again) and then just continue watching from The Locket.

Edit: Just read an in depth summary of the Princess trilogy. John gets together with the woman for political reasons, gets turned into a statue for some stupid reason that I didn't really understand, gets beheaded, but then fixed. Something weird happens to Moya when a weird person appears, and she tries to kill herself (or the weird guy makes it seem like thats what she's doing, the summaries were a page an episode and I just skimmed the pages at points), until the person stops it because Zhaan is "worthy". Scorpius apparenty has a cooling rod in his head where his brain should be. D'argo is in a relationship with Jar Jar. Aeryn is pretty pointless in the episode. It all turns out fine in the end. I saved myself several hours, and now I know what happened (I read more than what I just posted, I know about Moya/Zhaan escaping from Scorpius, I just posted the bigger plot points). Now, I can move on to good episodes.

Last edited by kirk55555; October 6 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old October 6 2012, 08:18 PM   #360
flavaflav
Commander

JD wrote: View Post
I think Chiana is the worst character in the history of sci-fi and agree with a bunch Kirks complaints thus far, yet I loved Farscape. It's a great show that simply has a lot of god awful moments and cliche story elements. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it as I did and I'm sure Kirk will. Is it on the level of B5 or DS9? no, but it's still amazing in its own right when you get past the faults. Sorta like season 1 & 2 of B5
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote