Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 17 2012, 03:25 AM   #166
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Walter Koenig played a great role...
I never thought much of Koenig as an actor, based on what he was called upon to do as Chekov. But Bester was a genius character for him, and he delivered some amazing performances over the run of B5.
I agree, Chekov was always the character that did nothing but "Scream like a Ghurl", but Bester was an amazingly realized character, all the way down to his favoring of the lame hand (It's like Bob Dole with his Pen trick, understated but noticable if you know to look for it) and the arrogance and the oily charm and.....

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 09:14 AM   #167
Reverend
Rear Admiral

As for the council, I get what they are going for, with the big civilizations and the smaller ones. It makes sense, it just must suck to be a small civilization.
Indeed it does and you see some of that frustration vented in 'Deathwalker'. There will be other instances. Keep in mind of course that it's called the League of Non-Aligned Worlds. It's a very loose affiliation, mostly they're just out for themselves and can almost never agree on anything. The Abbai are about the only ones interested in co-operation for anything other than self interest. Probably why they're the only ones Delenn is seen talking to upto this point.

Jeremiah Crichton - I HATED this episode. I can honestly say its the first Farscape episode I've watched where I hated pretty much every second of it. I'm not a fan of sci-fi shows going to primitive worlds and declaring them "paradise" (to me, any place without indoor plumbing isn't a paradise ). It wasn't done like some other sci-fi shows have done it, where characters declare it perfect, so theres that. Plus, atleast it wasn't trying to make some kind of moral stance thats really stupid when you put any thought into it (like star Trek Insurrection ) but the whole concept still annoyed me. John becoming an ass also ticked me off. I get that he was frustrated, but I think he went a bit too far. I also liked how D'Argo and aeryn really wanted to find John, but Zhaan just wanting to give up, before even D'argo does, just annoyed me. Overall, this is the worst episode I've seen, and the only one I don't think I'll ever watch again. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the series. Every show has horrible episodes, this was just the first one I've seen from Farscape.
While it is very dumb, it's far from the worst episode Farscape has to offer. Honestly I liked some of the stuff with Rygel as it shows that under all that greed and decadent corruption he dose actually feel responsible for his subjects and recognises that they've been mistreated by his predecessor.
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
Walter Koenig played a great role...
I never thought much of Koenig as an actor, based on what he was called upon to do as Chekov. But Bester was a genius character for him, and he delivered some amazing performances over the run of B5.
I agree, Chekov was always the character that did nothing but "Scream like a Ghurl", but Bester was an amazingly realized character, all the way down to his favoring of the lame hand (It's like Bob Dole with his Pen trick, understated but noticable if you know to look for it) and the arrogance and the oily charm and.....
Given that he's only a recurring character as opposed to a regular, it's impressive how much Koenig could do with him. Seriously, the bloke was wasted on Star Trek.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 05:00 PM   #168
Harvey
Admiral

"Jeremiah Crichton" is pretty awful, telling a story that would have been rote for television fifty years ago (primitives encounter our heroes, mistake one of them for God). It features an audio commentary on some of the home video releases entitled, "When Good Shows Go Bad." It's a good, honest, and funny listen.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 06:22 PM   #169
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Durka Returns (Farscape) - I liked this episode, although I think it creates a few bad things for the future. Durka was a good one shot villain, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back, and honestly I'm not excited. I also really dislike Chiana, she's one big walking cliche, and I think she may become a main character, which sucks. She couldn't be more generic, and I disliked every scene with her in it. Partly because she's so generic, partly because the actress's performance really got on my nerves. As much as I've been loving Farscape, if she becomes a main character I think she'll be the Wesley Crusher or Jar Jar of Farscape for me. I'll still be able to enjoy the show, but she'll make parts of it painful. I'm hoping she gets a personality transplant/new actress quickly, but I have the feeling that if I keep watching farscape (which I really want to) that I'll just be stuck with her. As long as she doesn't get too much screen time or get any episodes about her, and the show focuses more on the main cast, it will be fine. Basically, I'm saying she should be like worf in TNG season 1. She's there, she gets lines, but she isn't a focus (not that I have anything against Worf, I like him as a character and he's much better than Yar, I'm just comparing his role in Season 1 of TNG to what I want Chiana's to be, although I'm pretty sure I'm just in denial, and that they are going to focus on her more ).

Also, a bit off topic, but I only compare her to Wesley because he gets dumped on a lot as a useless scifi character, but I actually liked Wesley most of the time in TNG.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 06:24 PM   #170
RoJoHen
Awesome

Chiana is easily one of my favorite characters from the show.

"Durka Returns," however, is not the best display of her character.

Remember, all these characters are being thrown together at random, and some of them adapt better than others. The people they are in the beginning are not the people they become.
Old August 17 2012, 06:32 PM   #171
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I'm hoping she grows on me, its just that she is really generic, and the actress was, well, acting weird, like she was having a twitch caused by brain damage some of the time or something. I don't want to dislike her, and I hope she becomes a tolerable character, but my first impression is that she's a useless, annoying character. I really hope my opinion is proven completely wrong and she becomes interesting and the actress stops acting so weird, I just don't know how thats going to happen.
Old August 17 2012, 06:33 PM   #172
RoJoHen
Awesome

She wasn't acting weird. She was acting alien. Chiana moves in a very unique way, and the actress gets a better grasp of it as she continues with the character.
Old August 17 2012, 06:52 PM   #173
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Ugh, I was hoping that wasn't the case and that the actress was just being an idiot for this one episode. Even if the character itself becomes more interesting, I'll still be annoyed by her twitchy movement. I'm losing more and more hope that Farscape will be able to retain its quality with this character. She moves like Catwoman with brain damage, and her type of character is one of the most overused in all media. Now I know why people said there were worse episodes coming than Jeremiah Crichton I can only hope she doesn't screw up the show too badly.
Old August 17 2012, 06:53 PM   #174
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think you need to lighten up a bit. It's only been one episode!
Old August 17 2012, 06:58 PM   #175
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Sometimes one episode is all you need. Heck, sometimes one scene is all you need. I didn't need 2 hours to figure out I hated Short Round or Willie in Indiana Jones 2, I just needed about 15 seconds with each character, same with Jar Jar in PM.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but she just made such a bad first impression that I don't think she can come back from it unless her character completely changes very soon.
Old August 17 2012, 07:07 PM   #176
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Seriously, don't worry. Pip will grow on you, I promise...having said that you might need to lie down after seeing 'Taking the Stone' in season 2.
Clean sailing after that though! I'm not joking, while there are rough spots here and there, Farscape is one of those exceedingly rare shows that gets consistently and exponentially better as it goes on
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 07:08 PM   #177
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Ugh, I was hoping that wasn't the case and that the actress was just being an idiot for this one episode. Even if the character itself becomes more interesting, I'll still be annoyed by her twitchy movement. I'm losing more and more hope that Farscape will be able to retain its quality with this character. She moves like Catwoman with brain damage, and her type of character is one of the most overused in all media. Now I know why people said there were worse episodes coming than Jeremiah Crichton I can only hope she doesn't screw up the show too badly.
Yeah, I would take a deep breath and remember, unlike movies, TV characters get the time and space to develop. Chiana is a GREAT character.
Old August 17 2012, 07:29 PM   #178
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Chi's one of my favourite characters, from any show, ever.....

She'll grown on you.
Old August 17 2012, 07:40 PM   #179
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Chiana gets better but in general, Farscape goes through some mighty gyrations of quality so if you're easily annoyed, brace yourself for worse. Lots worse.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 08:01 PM   #180
flavaflav
Commander

Chiana is easily the worst character on Farscape. During my first watch through I had the same complaints and peeps kept telling me she gets better..... no, she doesn't. She remains the same shit character for all 3+ seasons. You'll have to grin and bear it with her. The rest of the cast will make up for it.
flavaflav is online now   Reply With Quote