Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 15 2012, 07:38 PM   #151
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

The War Prayer (Babylon 5) - This episode was about an anti-alien human group attacking aliens on Babylon 5. They attack a friend of one of the ambassadors, and the command crew have to find out who is behind the attacks. I liked this episode. It was kind of predictable (I guessed that the 1st officer's friend was involved with the group as soon as he was introduced) but that didn't make it bad. I liked the part with Londo realising that he was wrong about the two teens who didn't want arranged marriages (I also like him describing his wifes ). I thought the alien ambassador in the suit was an energy alien (since you see him glowing behind the screen when he was first shown) and he might still be, but I'm interested to see what isd up with him, which I assume they will get too (even if its not this season).
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 08:08 PM   #152
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Londo's wives - Wouldn't it be great if they turned up at some point?!

Kosh - Couldn't possibly comment.
Old August 15 2012, 09:12 PM   #153
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

"My Shoes Are too Tight and I have Forgotten How To Dance"

Yes, you will be thrown a tid bit here and there about Kosh as the Series progresses

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 06:51 PM   #154
kirk55555
Commodore

The Flax (Farscape) - I liked this episode. John and aeryn get trapped in something called the flax while Aeryn is teaching John to drive the shuttle/pod. It traps them there, and cuts off communication, so they send out a message pod to get help. On the ship, Zhaan, D'Argo and Rygel meet a scavenger who tells D'Argo he knows where a ship is that could give him the maps to get home. Around this time they get the pod from John/Aeryn, so D'argo goes with the scavenger to pick them up, after getting the maps before the ship with the maps is destroyed. Eventually, it comes down to D'Argo having to choose between the maps and John/aeryn (theres a bit in between, but I don't want t summarize the whole episode). He decides to save them, catching them in a compromising position in a very funny scene. Another funny scene happens at the end, where the scavager

I liked this episode, it had a good blend of seriousness and humor.

And the Sky Full of Stars - I enjoyed this episode. I was sure the guys searching the commander's mind would be wrong, but they were on to something. This episode has made me very curious, what did happen to the commander? How was the ambassador involved? Why would he have to die if he knew? I hope its brought up again this season.

Deathwalker - This was a decent episode. It raises some questions, like why do 5 species get one vote a piece in the B5 council, but a whole group of aliens only get one vote together, and why does it seem like all of the earth politicians are corrupt, but overall I liked the episode. I don't know what the suited ambassador was doing to the psi corps woman, but contract or not if she was stupid enough to hang around once the images started appearing (which was obviously connected to the ambassador and the guy) then its her own fault if her memories get used against her later. I knew Deathwalker was going to get killed, no way were the writers going to have an "immortality serum" exist in the universe, it was just a matter of who would kill her. I'm surprised the suited ambassador could kill her and not get in trouble, his species must be powerful, because if earth had done that, they would have probably started a fight.

Last edited by kirk55555; August 16 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old August 16 2012, 06:57 PM   #155
RoJoHen
Awesome

The "suited ambassador" is called Kosh.

I think you are touching on some interesting things, and I think you will be very happy to know that all of your questions have answers.
Old August 16 2012, 07:14 PM   #156
kirk55555
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I think you are touching on some interesting things, and I think you will be very happy to know that all of your questions have answers.
I'm glad my questions have answers. As for Kosh, I should have remembered his name, or atleast googled it, but I'm sure it will stick with me eventually. It usually takes me a few episodes to remember a characters name, so I'll probably have his remembered soon
Old August 16 2012, 07:20 PM   #157
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

We are all Kosh.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 07:28 PM   #158
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Gathering Original pilot, introduces the idea of a "Hole in Sinclair's Mind", so if one starts with that, that's floating in their mind until this episode confirms he does have one.

The images with Talia, Kosh and The VCR did have a purpose, but, unfortunately this was one thing that didn't actually play out. We can tell you what was up once you get to the end of S2.

Old August 16 2012, 10:19 PM   #159
Reverend
Rear Admiral

RE: Council votes. The big five powers (Earth Alliance, Minbari Federation, Centauri Republic, Narn Regime & Vorlon Empire) each get a vote because, well, they're the most powerful governments in the galaxy and they helped bank-roll the Babylon Project.

If it seems a little unfair or unbalanced it's probably because it is. Keep in mind though, that all the governments on B5 signed off on this system, mostly because just being there gives them orders of magnitude more influence, more say in galactic affairs and more trade opportunities then they'd have on their own. Without B5 they'd have to go on depending on foreign embassies and diplomatic missions to dozens of alien homeworlds, which few could ever afford to maintain.

The League of Non-Aligned Worlds is made up of fairly minor powers; some (like the Drazi) are bigger than others, but most only have a handful of colonies, not much in the way of military strength or economic influence. Basically they're the galactic equivalent of third world countries. The league's membership isn't even very stable as the smaller governments are prone to border disputes, shifting alliances and political spats. Not the kind of bodies that can be trusted with a vote or veto of their own.

Oh and yeah, the Vorlons more or less do as they please. A lot of this was established in the pilot movie, but basically of all the major governments, they're by far the most reclusive and secretive. Very little is know about them. Biology, motivations, society, technology: all complete blanks. Nobody has ever seen one of them outside of their encounter suits, no one has ever been to their homeworld and no ship has ever entered their territory (which is *huge*) and returned. All that the other races know is that they're powerful, very secretive and that they don't take much interest in the affairs of other races. That they agreed to send an Ambassador to B5 at all was a bit of a coup. Indeed, it's set up pretty early that they're one of the *big* mysteries of the show and I look forward to seeing you have it unfold for the first time.

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I'm glad my questions have answers. As for Kosh, I should have remembered his name, or atleast googled it, but I'm sure it will stick with me eventually. It usually takes me a few episodes to remember a characters name, so I'll probably have his remembered soon
Some friendly advice: under no circumstances should you look up Kosh, or indeed anything do do with the show. There are *massive* spoilers out there and I'd hate for anyone to have the surprise(s) spoilt for them.

Last edited by Reverend; August 16 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 11:38 PM   #160
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

About the Council Votes, Yea, what Reverend said.

The Big 5 are all Republics, Empires etc, so, for all intents and purposes represent multiple Worlds. The League of non-Aligned Worlds are just that, individuals not aligned, so, together they form the equivalent of an Empire, Republic, etc

Old August 17 2012, 01:13 AM   #161
kirk55555
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
Some friendly advice: under no circumstances should you look up Kosh, or indeed anything do do with the show. There are *massive* spoilers out there and I'd hate for anyone to have the surprise(s) spoilt for them.
I'll make sure and avoid that, then. I ruined a big BS Galactica revel because I looked upo a character on wikipedia to find out how to spell his name I'm not a big BSG fan 9I've never gotten past the first half of season 2) but it was still a spoiler I wish I hadn't seen.

As for the council, I get what they are going for, with the big civilizations and the smaller ones. It makes sense, it just must suck to be a small civilization.

Now, on to a Farscape episode I just watched.

Jeremiah Crichton - I HATED this episode. I can honestly say its the first Farscape episode I've watched where I hated pretty much every second of it. I'm not a fan of sci-fi shows going to primitive worlds and declaring them "paradise" (to me, any place without indoor plumbing isn't a paradise ). It wasn't done like some other sci-fi shows have done it, where characters declare it perfect, so theres that. Plus, atleast it wasn't trying to make some kind of moral stance thats really stupid when you put any thought into it (like star Trek Insurrection ) but the whole concept still annoyed me. John becoming an ass also ticked me off. I get that he was frustrated, but I think he went a bit too far. I also liked how D'Argo and aeryn really wanted to find John, but Zhaan just wanting to give up, before even D'argo does, just annoyed me. Overall, this is the worst episode I've seen, and the only one I don't think I'll ever watch again. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the series. Every show has horrible episodes, this was just the first one I've seen from Farscape.
Old August 17 2012, 01:29 AM   #162
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yeah, "Jeremiah Crichton" is pretty awful.
Old August 17 2012, 01:51 AM   #163
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Kosh/Vorlons - You've just got to love a race that has a 'hour of longing' and 'hour of scampering'.
Old August 17 2012, 02:03 AM   #164
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
I'll make sure and avoid that, then. I ruined a big BS Galactica revel because I looked upo a character on wikipedia to find out how to spell his name I'm not a big BSG fan 9I've never gotten past the first half of season 2) but it was still a spoiler I wish I hadn't seen.

As for the council, I get what they are going for, with the big civilizations and the smaller ones. It makes sense, it just must suck to be a small civilization.

Now, on to a Farscape episode I just watched.

Jeremiah Crichton - I HATED this episode. I can honestly say its the first Farscape episode I've watched where I hated pretty much every second of it. I'm not a fan of sci-fi shows going to primitive worlds and declaring them "paradise" (to me, any place without indoor plumbing isn't a paradise ). It wasn't done like some other sci-fi shows have done it, where characters declare it perfect, so theres that. Plus, atleast it wasn't trying to make some kind of moral stance thats really stupid when you put any thought into it (like star Trek Insurrection ) but the whole concept still annoyed me. John becoming an ass also ticked me off. I get that he was frustrated, but I think he went a bit too far. I also liked how D'Argo and aeryn really wanted to find John, but Zhaan just wanting to give up, before even D'argo does, just annoyed me. Overall, this is the worst episode I've seen, and the only one I don't think I'll ever watch again. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the series. Every show has horrible episodes, this was just the first one I've seen from Farscape.
Yeah, Jeremiah Crichton was a pretty 'meh' episode. But I will say that in general the worst Farscape has to offer is better than the worst Babylon 5 serves up. Glad to hear you're enjoying both shows though. I always respected B5 and loved its story but preferred Farscape overall due to its fun factor and memorable characters.
Old August 17 2012, 02:20 AM   #165
Daddy Todd
Captain

Walter Koenig played a great role...
I never thought much of Koenig as an actor, based on what he was called upon to do as Chekov. But Bester was a genius character for him, and he delivered some amazing performances over the run of B5.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote