Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 30 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Humor me on this Kelvan crossover

More specifically, let's suppose that instead of bumping into Kirk and company in Act One of ''By Any Other Name,'' Rojan, Kelinda and the other three Kelvans encountered...the Space Family Robinson, Smith and the Robot from LOST IN SPACE? How would you all play out the plot, seriously or sillilly? With that show it could either way. This is not to say LIS as a whole is in the same league as classic TREK, but I've always found myself speculating on such an inter-episode combination.

There are other episodes of classic TREK that could be Robinsonized, but let's use this one as a starting point for now.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: Humor me on this Kelvan crossover

It would put Warren Steven in an episode of the only 1960's Irwin Allen series he didn't do a guest spot on.

If they Kelvans needed a ship to get them to Andromeda, then I'd put it in the 3rd season when the Jupiter 2 was in space a lot more. So it could be a mix of serious and silly, especially if we're talking early season. Serious in tone to satisfy Guy Williams, but with wenough blank space in the script to keep Jonathan Harris happy. The guest cast would be a lot smaller, owing to the lack of funds. I could even see Irwin making the Kelvins energy beings who inhabit the Robinsons. That way - NO guest cast (or maybe one voice artist). Just the regulars being controlled.

I don't know, I envision it would wind up being a lot like the episode Target: Earth.
Old August 30 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Wingsley
Commodore

I don't know if the Kelvans would find the Jupiter II useful to their mission. Wouldn't it take millions of years to reach Andromeda? Besides, I would expect Rojan to trash Robot immediately to get it out of the way, and that would ruin half of LIS' (alleged) charm right there.

Now, if the Kelvans crash-landed on Altair IV (Morbius' planet in FORBIDDEN PLANET), that would be an eye-opener. Not the least of which because you'd have Warren Stevens x 2.

Come to think of it, it would be interesting if the Jupiter II accidentally landed on Altair IV instead of the C57D, or maybe alongside of it. You'd get to see Robbie the Robot meet Jupiter II's Robot. And maybe Major West (Mark Goddard) could get the hots for Altaira "Alta" Morbius (Anne Francis). And it would be hilarious if Dr. Smith (Jonathan Harris) were to have a close encounter with the psychic manifestation of Morbius' dark side. Oh, the pain!
Old August 31 2012, 01:31 PM   #4
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Granted the Jupiter II is a poor substitute for the capabilities of the Enterprise. It'd make sense to blast the Robot.....or even to reduce it to a block, though I doubt the Kelvans can reduce machinery in that fashion. I only mention it to make Doctor Smith happy at the concept.
''The blithering bumpkin's a cube. How...lovely.''

Considering LOST IN SPACE's comparative chauvinism, I'd be surprised if Maureen, Judy and Penny didn't get neutralized into blocks at the halfway point a la Uhura, Chekov and the rest. So may episodes seemed to focus on the four males plus the Robot as the deciding players, so it'd be in keeping with Irwin Allen's ''stay in the galley'' philosophy.
Old August 31 2012, 02:04 PM   #5
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Well, if you're putting the Kelvans on Lost in Space, you must immediately make them less powerful than the Trek version. As for the distance the J2 has to travel, the Irwin Allen Universe is much smaller than the "actual" universe. It would take about 7 hours to get from wherever they are to the next galaxy. And back.

No, the women wouldn't be turned into block, that would mean Irwin would have to create new props. They would simply be demateriialized and brought back at the end with no mention as to where they were sent. The Kelvans wouldn't have a belt device, they would just point their fingers. ELECTRONIC POP! Girls gone. John Robinson would defeat the alien leader by engaging in a sword fight with him.
Old August 31 2012, 02:22 PM   #6
foxhot
Fleet Captain

No explanations and cheaper effects. Definitely an Irwin Allen scenario. With the stolen SPING! sound-effect from FANTASTIC VOYAGE to boot.....

I forgot to say the TARGET EARTH episode was already too similar to the previous year's PHANTOM FAMILY....

Last edited by foxhot; August 31 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Ummm....Fairuza Balk???
Old August 31 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
foxhot
Fleet Captain

But.....if we maintain the serious level of TREK and the first five episodes of SPACE, while keeping the Kelvan technology and mission agenda, plus the basic four-act plot of BY ANY OTHER NAME..........

Then, several scenes after Rojan's team disables the Robot, temporarily or otherwise, then the Kelvans would freeze up West, Smith and the Robinsons before they could escape back to their landed ship.......

THEN Rojan has to make an example to the others by blockifying two of the seven and wasting one. So.....putting yourself in Rojan's place, which two do you pick?

Also, are there other contemporary 1960s actors besides Stevens who might make an interesting Rojan?

Last edited by foxhot; August 31 2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Fairuza Balk!
Old September 1 2012, 05:23 AM   #8
Wingsley
Commodore

Warren... Stevens... IS ROJAAAAAAAAAN!!!!
Old September 1 2012, 06:48 AM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
With the stolen SPING! sound-effect from FANTASTIC VOYAGE to boot.....
Stolen? It was another Fox production. I heard some of the sounds we associate with the Enterprise bridge in an episode of The Twilight zone that predates Trek.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

I suppose we could have had a scene with Guy Williams' character together with Kalinda in his quarters (to get Rojan into his jealous rage), with the robot standing guard at the door, ready to yell:
"Danger Professor Robinson! -- Here comes your wife!"

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 09:31 PM   #11
foxhot
Fleet Captain

You can't keep a good Robot down. But back to the ultra-serious scenario, is anyone willing to erase two of the other seven and eliminate one, for drama's sake? As an alternate reality of sorts where you pick who survives.

If it were up to me, Will and Penny would be blockified but Will would not make it back. Bill Mumy is a good actor, but I've never found Will Robinson to be less than utterly obnoxious.
Old September 5 2012, 01:16 AM   #12
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Are there other classic TREK episodes which could work with the Robinson gang? Or, if you really want to raise the stakes....

......how would the eight-member crew fare after landing on the planet LV-426 from ALIEN? Meaning THEY intercept the alien distress signal instead of the Nostromo.

Obviously that takes us out of classic TREK entirely if you go that way, so there's always the other episodes. Humor me this LV-426 crossover....