Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 29 2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Rape Jokes

On a purely intellectual/conceptual basis, I'm extremely hesitant to say that a certain kind of joke can never be funny, but I can't really think of an example of a funny rape joke I've ever heard/seen, either.

Possible exception: The Onion's point/counterpoint: U.S. Out Of My Uterus / We Must Deploy Troops To Jessica Linden's Uterus Immediately... but even there, the joke is far more of a play on words, boundless American militarism, and patent impossibilities ("a reconnaissance force of 200 men will be stationed on her cervical perimeter") than it is about sexual assault.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 07:31 PM   #17
Rhaven
Captain

People have the right of free speech. With that said, comedians such as Daniel Tosh and Dane Cook like to use offending jokes in their stand-up acts. They have the right to try and shock their audience. That audience has a right to boo or laugh. It's all a matter of choices. We have the choice to not view these comedians and I think this is the most powerful form of feedback to them. Stop going to their shows or watching their programs. Loss in the wallet is a big motivator.

And just for the record, I find rape jokes distasteful and mean.
Old July 29 2012, 07:37 PM   #18
Reverend
Rear Admiral

*Any* subject can be a source of humour, even less than pleasant topics (hence "black humour" & "gallows humour".) Indeed, anyone who's spent any time at all around soldiers (and I imagine doctors & nurses too) can probably attest that nothing is sacrosanct or "too serious to joke about." Whether or not it's actually funny--like any piece of comedy--rather depends on the joke, on the telling and of course, the timing.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Robot Chicken rape joke, and I won't add all the "jokes" MacFarlane puts on Family Guy.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 08:43 PM   #20
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

This article, "How to Make a Rape Joke" nails it. If you'll pardon the pun.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 10:16 PM   #21
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

I agree that Lindy West really hit the bullseye with that article. You've got to know the difference between joking about the victim and the culture.
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 10:46 PM   #22
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Gaith wrote: View Post
...but I can't really think of an example of a funny rape joke I've ever heard/seen, either.
We've all heard a tonne of male prison rape jokes. I rarely see the humour in them. Over used.

As for female rape jokes, the only one I can think of is Brian's mother in "The Life of Brian".

EDIT: Almost forgot there was one in an early season of M*A*S*H that made me cringe.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 10:54 PM   #23
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

Well, this has served to comfirm my belief that Daniel Tosh is a waste of oxygen.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 11:00 PM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I don't really understand the humor in rape jokes because I know someone who has gone through it and it really traumatized her for life.
I don't mean to be vulgar, but at least half the women you have ever met have been raped to some degree and just don't mention it.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 11:38 PM   #25
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Here's the comic strip Garry Trudeau tries to pretend never existed:

ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 12:50 AM   #26
Christopher
Writer

I think that ancient Doonesbury strip fits the parameters in Lindy West's article about a rape joke that works -- because it's not endorsing Mike's attitude, it's making fun of it. He's bought into the fantasy of being an aggressive womanizer who takes what he wants, but in reality he has no chance of making it happen. It shows how men objectify women as a compensation for their own sense of inadequacy, and it shows how pathetic those men really are. Okay, it doesn't work very well as a joke, but it kinda works.

True, the woman comes off just as negatively, if not more so. But comedy can be equally scornful of both participants in an interaction.

I've never seen this Tosh person perform, but I agree with West's article: simply being offensive is not the same as being funny. People often laugh as a defense mechanism to defuse feelings of anxiety or discomfort, and too many comics use that as a lazy shortcut, evoking that kind of laughter when they don't have the ability to say anything genuinely funny. There can be value in giving offense when there's a reason for it, when it genuinely makes a point or forces people to think, but "because I don't have any better material" is not a good enough reason. And using rape humor to deliberately intimidate or silence women -- as, for instance, in this case -- is completely unacceptable, cowardly, and vile.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 01:15 AM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral

If a joke is funny, I'll laugh at it. Even if it is about something as horrible as rape or whatever. Humour can be found anywhere.

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I don't really understand the humor in rape jokes because I know someone who has gone through it and it really traumatized her for life.
Of course, sometimes it does take something horrible happening to someone you know to open your eyes to how horrible something is. I shamefully admit I used to make all kinds of jokes about domestic abuse, then someone I know ended up in an abusive relationship. It opened my eyes, that's for sure. While I would probably still laugh at a domestic abuse joke, provided it was funny, I've never been able to tell a joke about it since then.
Old July 30 2012, 02:44 AM   #28
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Just saw the new Web therapy, which actually a couple years old, since whats now transmitted as an episode was first broadcast as many 3 - 5 minute skits on the internet because Lisa was bored and wanted TOTAL CONTROL...

But Julia Louis Drefus was playing her sister, and during a therapy session last night who starts a rant about how she was the superior favourite and more beloved sibling becuase Unlce jerry raped her and didn't rape Lisa's character because she was unlikable and annoying.

Web therapy is not scripted.

It's all improv.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 03:29 AM   #29
Disruptor
Commodore

My advice to anyone offended by a rape joke is to just lie back and enjoy it.

Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 03:31 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

I think partly it's about knowing your audience. There used to be a concept called "polite company" -- people would make different choices about what kind of topics they'd discuss or laugh about depending on what company they were with. For instance, men would tell dirty jokes when alone with other men but not when in the earshot of women or children, because that would just be rude. Maybe we need to remember the concept of politeness and discretion, and save certain topics of crude humor for use only among people we know wouldn't be offended by them. Or at the very least we should put content advisories on potentially offensive material so that people can choose whether or not to be exposed to it. It's when it's pushed on people whether they want it or not that it becomes obnoxious or invasive.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote