Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 26 2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Mistral
Vice Admiral

A few new books are out

So, after months of virtually nothing catching my interest, I heard about John Scalzi's new book Redshirts and went on Amazon to order it. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered a handful of "must buy" books have all been released recently.

Scalzi also has a re-telling of the classic H Beam Piper novel Little Fuzzy, which garnered pretty fair reviews. Its in paperback now, I believe, so it may fit my budget soon.

John Birmingham's 3rd book in the After America series, Angels Of Vengeance is out-I got hooked on him with the Axis of Time trilogy and have bought the new series as it came out.

I also heard about a book called Year Zero by Rob Reid-it sounds like it's as wacky as Hitchhiker's Guide and it gets fantastic reviews-so onto the "must have" it goes.

The latest in the 1632 Eric Flint universe is out- 1636:The Kremlin Games, with 1636:Papal Stakes scheduled this fall.

I'm gonna be scrambling, I think, to pay for all of this.

ANy of you know of new releases I may have missed?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Caliburn24
Commodore

Re: A few new books are out

Fuzzy World is real fun and has an old-schoool vibe to it. I think I tore through it in one night. I wish SyFy would pick stories like that to turn into their movies of the week, stuff able to be filmed cheap with few actors and sets, but still telling a great story.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Fuzzy World is real fun and has an old-schoool vibe to it. I think I tore through it in one night. I wish SyFy would pick stories like that to turn into their movies of the week, stuff able to be filmed cheap with few actors and sets, but still telling a great story.
Agreed. For a channel devoted to science fiction, their Sat Night movies miss the boat completely. If they did good stories maybe they would spark more interest in science fiction in media, which could only benefit their bottom line as time progresses. Ah, well....instead we get "SHarkopottamus" or whatever...

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

I LOVED Scalzi's Redshirts book. I need to check out more of his stuff. Also really enjoying Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312.
Old July 27 2012, 11:51 PM   #5
stj
Rear Admiral

Baxter and Pratchett, The Long Earth

Robinson, 2312

Brin, Existence

Egan, The Clockwork Rocket (available in kindle)
Old July 28 2012, 12:08 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Mistral wrote: View Post
Agreed. For a channel devoted to science fiction, their Sat Night movies miss the boat completely.
That's because, like any commercial-supported cable network, it's actually a channel devoted to profitable content. Like it or not, it's the wrestling and dumb movies that pay their bills and let them do the classier original stuff to the extent that they can.

If they did good stories maybe they would spark more interest in science fiction in media, which could only benefit their bottom line as time progresses.
I wish that were true, but the sad fact is, they used to have a stronger science-fiction focus, and it didn't benefit their bottom line, so they had to go for the more lowbrow stuff that would bring in a larger audience while also being cheap to make. This is the path many niche cable networks have gone over the past 20 years, and if anything, Syfy's managed to cling to the vestiges of its core identity better than a lot of other formerly niche networks like A&E, Bravo, CourtTV (now TruTV), and The Nashville Network (now Spike).

Ah, well....instead we get "SHarkopottamus" or whatever...
Actually a Sharkopotamus sounds like it would be very scary indeed. Have you seen hippos in person? They're huge and powerful. And they can move on land. Stick a shark's head on that and you've got an impressively deadly movie monster.

Although you know what would be even scarier? Sharknoceros.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 05:24 AM   #7
El Maestro
Commander

"Wool" by Hugh Howey. Blew my mind.
Old July 29 2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

A few new cooks are out of the kitchen

It came out in 2010, so you might not consider it a new release, but I really loved The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

It's the first installment in what is intended to be a ten-volume series. This first book is more than a thousand (very enjoyable) pages long, so this is quite an undertaking Sanderson has started.
Old July 29 2012, 08:41 AM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

Re: A few new cooks are out of the kitchen

Fuzzy World is an abomination and insult to H. Beam Piper. The first chapter was available online from the publisher. I recommend reading it before throwing away your money on the purchase.

Scalzi took the idea of hollywood remakes and applied it to books with the re-write. ugh.
Old July 29 2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

^Hollywood didn't invent the remake/reboot. It goes back thousands of years, and was the only way to keep a story alive before widespread literacy. Almost every one of Shakespeare's plays is a "remake" and reinterpretation of an earlier play, myth, historical account, etc. Heck, the Book of Genesis is basically a remake of the Sumerian creation myth Enuma Elish, adapted for a monotheistic audience.

Old July 29 2012, 06:35 PM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

^Yes Chris, I've heard the speech and gotten the pamphlet. That doesn't negate the fact that Hollywood has a reputation of remakes/reboots that are poorly executed and/or poorly thought out.
Old July 29 2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

^Which has nothing to do with where Mr. Scalzi may have gotten the idea to do a new interpretation of Little Fuzzy.

Old July 29 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It's Fuzzy Nation, by the way, which I thought was a great read. Redshirts is downright hysterical if you're a big Star Trek fan. Android's Dream is another good read from him. Nothing is quite as good as Old Man's War though. My only complaint with Scalzi is that hias books are too short. It seems like they're over as soon as they start getting really entertaining.

Redshirts is one of two new releases I've bought this year, the other being The Long Earth by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett. I'm thoroughly enjoying this one too.

Last edited by Starbreaker; July 29 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 05:51 AM   #14
Valin
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Actually a Sharkopotamus sounds like it would be very scary indeed. Have you seen hippos in person? They're huge and powerful. And they can move on land. Stick a shark's head on that and you've got an impressively deadly movie monster.

Although you know what would be even scarier? Sharknoceros.
I'm waiting for the "LandShark" movie.
Old July 30 2012, 06:40 AM   #15
sojourner
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Which has nothing to do with where Mr. Scalzi may have gotten the idea to do a new interpretation of Little Fuzzy.
Has Mr. Scalzi let you know where he got the idea from?

Regardless of where he got the idea, the results are terrible.