Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 5 2014, 07:10 PM   #1711
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Aldo wrote: View Post
When I found out they were adapting 'Days of Future Past' I was really excited that Ellen Page would get to headline an X-Men film. I know she definitely could have carried the film as well, and to suggest she couldn't is a bit unfair to her I think.
I was thinking about this, in a tangential sort of way, last weekend.

I could see Page in a modestly budgeted Pryde & Wisdom film -- a super-hero spy caper. Not sure who would make a good Warren Ellis... err, I mean Pete Wisdom. Maybe Luke Evans?

If Guardians is a success for Marvel, maybe Fox could counter with a Starjammers film.

Fox has a lot of characters at their disposal. They don't have to limit themselves to X-Men team movies.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 08:50 PM   #1712
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Explain that movie to me.
They send her back in time instead of her memories?
Then why not just send Professor X or Magneto back?
Why did Kitty Pryde go back in time in the comics? Why not Xavier or Magneto then?

My only point is this. Some things would have to be changed from the comics no matter who was sent back in time. Therefore, they're only limited by the imagination of the writers and a consideration of what would make the most interesting story. I fully understand that Ellen Page is probably not the person they'd select to star this film. However, the reason for not choosing her has nothing to do with the rules of time travel because those rules are just as changeable as the person to send back in time.
Old April 5 2014, 08:56 PM   #1713
Aldo
Admiral

It could have been anyone other than Wolverine really. I like Wolverine, and I love Jackman's portrayal and find it neat he loves the character enough to keep playing him, but he has his own series of films now. There was no reason they had to make him the star of this film.
Old April 5 2014, 09:03 PM   #1714
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

It allowed the same actor to play the character at two different ages. You could not have done that with Xavier or Magneto.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 09:27 PM   #1715
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Why did Kitty Pryde go back in time in the comics? Why not Xavier or Magneto then?
Specifically speaking, those two were dead.

More generally, the excuse for sending Kitty back into her younger body in the comics was that her younger self was the X-Men's newest recruit, and hadn't been trained to block psionic attacks yet.
Old April 5 2014, 09:36 PM   #1716
Alidar Jarok

Fair enough, but it can be any reason. Hell, the time travel rules could have that a person can only travel back in time if they didn't already exist in that time period.

Ultimately, the writers will tell the story they think is the best story. But there's no inherent reason it couldn't be Kitty Pryde or had to be Logan. Ultimately, it came down to what story they wanted to tell and the rules of time travel accommodate that story.
Old April 5 2014, 09:57 PM   #1717
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Specifically speaking, those two were dead.

More generally, the excuse for sending Kitty back into her younger body in the comics was that her younger self was the X-Men's newest recruit, and hadn't been trained to block psionic attacks yet.
Magneto was crippled.

They send her back in time instead of her memories?
Then why not just send Professor X or Magneto back?

My only point is this. Some things would have to be changed from the comics no matter who was sent back in time. Therefore, they're only limited by the imagination of the writers and a consideration of what would make the most interesting story. I fully understand that Ellen Page is probably not the person they'd select to star this film. However, the reason for not choosing her has nothing to do with the rules of time travel because those rules are just as changeable as the person to send back in time.
My point is, if you're going to change everything, don't call it Days of Futures Past. With what has occurred in the movies so far, this is the closest they can get to DoFP so I'll accept the naming but if all of a sudden they have an actual time machine to physically send someone back and they send Kitty, she has no frame of reference in the 70s. She'd be one of the worst to send back.

Last edited by bbjeg; April 5 2014 at 10:12 PM.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 10:02 PM   #1718
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Oh yeah...it's been awhile.

FWIW, Alidar, the X-Men having training to resist psionic attacks was an established element in the series at the time, so it wasn't something that they just pulled out of the blue to have Kitty be the traveler.
Old April 5 2014, 10:02 PM   #1719
RoJoHen
Awesome

Ultimately, the writers will tell the story they think is the best story. But there's no inherent reason it couldn't be Kitty Pryde or had to be Logan. Ultimately, it came down to what story they wanted to tell and the rules of time travel accommodate that story.
Hell, in the cartoon, they got Forge to do it, and that story worked out pretty well.
Old April 5 2014, 11:04 PM   #1720
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
It could have been anyone other than Wolverine really. I like Wolverine, and I love Jackman's portrayal and find it neat he loves the character enough to keep playing him, but he has his own series of films now. There was no reason they had to make him the star of this film.
I'm too lazy to google box office mojo but as I recall FC disappointed at the box office, making less than TLS or Origins, despite being the best-reviewed X-film since the second, if not best ever (for my money, it's even better than X2). So, given that its also the film with the least screen time for Logan, the reasons for putting Wolverine centre stage would seem to be pretty evident, if that's correct.
Old April 5 2014, 11:05 PM   #1721
Alidar Jarok

My point is, if you're going to change everything, don't call it Days of Futures Past.
If you send the same character who went back in time in the comic but bend the rules of time travel to allow that, it's changing everything, but if you send a character who famously dies in the future back in time, it's not? I hardly think that's changing everything. We're still talking about an X-Men storyline involving a dystopian future, Sentinels, and traveling back in time to change that future. The details are clearly being changed either way and I don't think the exact rules of time travel are important.

Granted, it's been a long time since I saw the 90s version, but was Bishop's memories sent back in time or did he physically travel?
Old April 5 2014, 11:23 PM   #1722
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

My point is, if you're going to change everything, don't call it Days of Futures Past. With what has occurred in the movies so far, this is the closest they can get to DoFP so I'll accept the naming but if all of a sudden they have an actual time machine to physically send someone back and they send Kitty, she has no frame of reference in the 70s. She'd be one of the worst to send back.
If you send the same character who went back in time in the comic but bend the rules of time travel to allow that, it's changing everything, but if you send a character who famously dies in the future back in time, it's not? I hardly think that's changing everything. We're still talking about an X-Men storyline involving a dystopian future, Sentinels, and traveling back in time to change that future. The details are clearly being changed either way and I don't think the exact rules of time travel are important.

Granted, it's been a long time since I saw the 90s version, but was Bishop's memories sent back in time or did he physically travel?
Check my bold text above. The X-Men movies can't do DoFP because the universes are different. The reasoning for physically sending Kitty back in the movie universe (regardless if she was the one they sent back in the comics) is flawed. Why is she going back to to 70s instead of the 2000s? How will she find Professor X in the 70s? If future Professor X told her, why didn't he go back?

And they didn't send Kitty back in the cartoon because it wouldn't have make sense either. She didn't even exist in the series.

Last edited by bbjeg; April 6 2014 at 05:26 AM.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 01:30 AM   #1723
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'm too lazy to google box office mojo but as I recall FC disappointed at the box office, making less than TLS or Origins, despite being the best-reviewed X-film since the second, if not best ever (for my money, it's even better than X2). So, given that its also the film with the least screen time for Logan, the reasons for putting Wolverine centre stage would seem to be pretty evident, if that's correct.
X-Men: First Class earned $146 million domestically on a $160 million budget. It also earned $350 million worldwide. It's the fifth lowest grossing X-Men film only trailing The Wolverine, which earned $130 million domestically. The Wolverine could be used as example of Wolverine's diminishing popularity or it could be as a result of the lackluster quality of X-Men Origins: Wolverine (even though that earned $180 million domestically and remains the third highest grossing X-Men film).

FWIW, X-Men: First Class is on par with X2: X-Men United over at Rotten Tomatoes. Both have a matching score of 87%. They are also the highest rated X-Men movies.

It'll be interesting to see how X-Men: Days of Future Past fares at the box office. X2: X-Men United was the last X-Men movie to break $200 million domestically and X-Men: The Last Stand still remains the highest grossing X-Men movie ever with $230 million domestically. The X-Men movies have never been high grossing films when it comes to the box office, but Days of Future Past has the bonus of having the best cast out of any previous X-Men movie to date including the biggest scope & action.
Old April 6 2014, 02:02 AM   #1724
Aldo
Admiral

Making Logan the star of this film just reminds me of the trap that the TNG films fell into by focusing solely on Picard and Data to the detriment of the others. I'm sure when fans were gearing up for Generations they never thought they'd be seeing their favorite characters relegated to the background.

I'm not saying Kitty absolutely had to be the start of DoFP, but if it turned out that Wolverine followed the same path he did in the comics and it was Kitty (Ellen Page) who headlined the movie and got sent back in time I would be a lot more interested in this movie as I am now, because at least that would have shown out of the box thinking.
Old April 6 2014, 04:41 AM   #1725
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It's a Bryan Singer film. Logan was always going to be the centerpiece of it. You guys seem to be fixated on him for some reason when the trailers have clearly shown that Xavier and Magneto are also going to be central characters in this and Mystique seems to be a big part...not to mention Trask as well. It also makes sense based on what has been established and created within the context of the film continuity.

Singer has stated a couple of times now that the comic has served as inspiration for his and Kinberg's story. It's not going to be a literal adaption of the comic story. It will possess core elements of the story, but incorporated into the context of the film continuity and build upon what Vaughn and Singer already started with First Class.

Also in an article I'm pretty sure I linked previously in the thread, he stated the first thing that he did when he first got the gig for "X-Men" was watch all the Animated Series episodes. I think fans underestimate the work he's actually done and how much the animated series actually has influenced his films rather than the comics. He would have been most effected by their adaptions of The Dark Phoenix Saga and Days...and maybe the "One Man's Worth" two parter.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote