New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Hope Solo
Thumbs Up 55 68.75%
Thumbs Down 9 11.25%
Thumbs Sideways 16 20.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30 2012, 09:38 PM   #91
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I think all that time and energy would be better spent fighting the gender pay gap instead of waging absurd little trench wars in internet forums. Putting anonymous horny guys to shame does not progress gender equality and accomplishes nothing of significance.
It's all part and parcel of the same problem. The difference is, I can't do a lot about the pay gap (except vote for people who want to close it), but I can make myself heard here and hopefully get people to think about what they say and why.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:41 PM   #92
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I think all that time and energy would be better spent fighting the gender pay gap instead of waging absurd little trench wars in internet forums. Putting anonymous horny guys to shame does not progress gender equality and accomplishes nothing of significance.
You know what'even less significant? Complaining about it.
Old July 30 2012, 09:50 PM   #93
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
It's all part and parcel of the same problem. The difference is, I can't do a lot about the pay gap (except vote for people who want to close it), but I can make myself heard here and hopefully get people to think about what they say and why.
You could write letters to your elected officials, news organizations or to various boards of directors, you could start petitions, you could join a pressure group, you could set up a demonstration or some other kind of public event, you could write a book, you could do lots and lots of useful things (some of which you may already be doing, of course). By slut-shaming random guys, you may think that you're fighting the good fight, but it's ultimately a complete waste of time.
Old July 30 2012, 09:51 PM   #94
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
You know what'even less significant? Complaining about it.
Oh well, you're right. By all means, keep doing what you want, have fun.
Old July 30 2012, 09:57 PM   #95
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

. By slut-shaming random guys, you may think that you're fighting the good fight, but it's ultimately a complete waste of time.
I disagree. Sexists need to know that their sexist behaviour will always cause a negative reaction. They must be called out on it. In the best case they will understand it at some point and change. In the worst case they will at least learn to shut up and not say blatantly sexist crap in public.

It's also raising awareness among the audience of these discussions. Like I stated in another thread: We're raising awareness by arguing for the audience (that might simply not be aware of these issues yet), not to turn the sexists into better people.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 10:36 PM   #96
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I think all that time and energy would be better spent fighting the gender pay gap instead of waging absurd little trench wars in internet forums.
Anything seems absurd if you refer to it with extreme language such as "trench war". It's a debate, a discussion, an argument of ideas. We're not manning gatling guns or running desperately across no man's land, it takes no more energy to take part than it does to comment on the latest episode of Breaking Bad.

Putting anonymous horny guys to shame does not progress gender equality and accomplishes nothing of significance.
It makes this website more accommodating to women and allows the female board members to have a more relaxed and enjoyable experience in the forums. Sure, it's a minor thing, but if it's achievable then why not try?
Old July 30 2012, 10:51 PM   #97
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Mirrorball Man: It's not like I think posting in these threads is going to make the world a better place in some measurable way, but if it makes some of the guys think about their words and behavior, and makes some of the women here more comfortable, then it has been worthwhile.

I don't think it's fair to denigrate someone's efforts just because you don't think they're significant enough. I mean, if none of us were commenting at all, you probably wouldn't say anything. It's kinda shitty to take people to task just because you don't think their activism is sufficiently large in scope.
My blog
Old July 31 2012, 03:23 AM   #98
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've been bored since last week. This discussion is less productive than anything political I read in TNZ.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 03:42 AM   #99
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
You could write letters to your elected officials, news organizations or to various boards of directors, you could start petitions, you could join a pressure group, you could set up a demonstration or some other kind of public event, you could write a book, you could do lots and lots of useful things (some of which you may already be doing, of course). By slut-shaming random guys, you may think that you're fighting the good fight, but it's ultimately a complete waste of time.
I actually really appreciate the discussion going on here. It can be really disheartening to read some of the posts online. I know that they don't represent the views of every person at TBBS, but it's nice to have a reminder of that. The conversation doesn't have to stop here, of course. It can and should continue in RL and with elected officials.

You never know who your words will help or harm.
Old July 31 2012, 04:42 AM   #100
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I've been bored since last week. This discussion is less productive than anything political I read in TNZ.
These threads weren't exactly bursting at the seams with profound insight in the past, you know.
My blog
Old July 31 2012, 05:34 AM   #101
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I tend to agree. I would like a return to the rigorous intellectual discourse that is normally seen. For example: Sofia Vergara. Is she hot or is she too old now and her breasts are therefore no longer of any use to us? I've been scanning the pages of academic journals but I've yet to see any true study on the matter outside of a few throw away lines. Matters like this deserve time and attention that only threads such as this one can give us. Until such a discussion can be broached I find myself swaying in the wind, wondering if I'm supposed to find Ms. Vergara attractive. If these BotW threads are not brought back on track then I fear for our future, my friends. I fear for it more than Glenn Beck fears for America.
Old July 31 2012, 12:15 PM   #102
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

You know I avoid TNZ like the plague (don't even have access to it), but hell you can't get away from it, they drag that shit in here. This board is going to hell in a handbasket.
Old July 31 2012, 01:12 PM   #103
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
You know I avoid TNZ like the plague (don't even have access to it), but hell you can't get away from it, they drag that shit in here. This board is going to hell in a handbasket.
Ah yes, the productive discussions on who's hot and who's not. Those highbrow intellectual discussions of whether she's hot enough to fuck or wondering how she even got considered for babe of the week in the first place. Such a shame for those to be disrupted by people with nothing better to do than point out objectifying women surprisingly insults and makes women uncomfortable. Those bastards.
Old July 31 2012, 01:28 PM   #104
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well Bob it's like this. Either these threads are allowed under the TOS of this board or they're not. If they're not allowed they should be shut down immediately. Problem solved. IF they ARE allowed, then the people are offended by them should ban together and petition the admins (Or whoever is in charge) to NOT allow them. If they accomplish this, then again problem solved.

BUT if they're unable to accomplish that, and the threads continue, then any further discussion like this frankly borders on trolling and yes it SHOULD be taken to TNZ. There's a reason that's a seperate forum.

Folks it's not that hard. If you don't like the threads, do what I said, petition the admins to not allow them. If they don't do that, then if you are so offended by them, then stay the hell out of them. Establish a zero tolerance policy for inappropriate behaviour in other threads, and if a poster makes inappropriate comments in another thread, deal with those posters on case-by-case basis.

But this endless carping here isn't going to solve it. Take it to TNZ if you just want to bitch.
Old July 31 2012, 01:33 PM   #105
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Folks are giving their opinions just like anyone else here. I'm not sorry that the thread isn't a comfy place for treating women like heifers at a meat market.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote