RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,774
Posts: 5,216,896
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 662
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Hope Solo
Thumbs Up 55 68.75%
Thumbs Down 9 11.25%
Thumbs Sideways 16 20.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 30 2012, 06:09 PM   #76
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I tried to keep out of this line of discussion but to no success.
You better had. I actually expected better from you but this illustrates that even decent guys don't understand some of the issues. Don't be that guy!

I also don't know how you look and what your personal style is but if you've ever put on make up, a tighter than necessary dress or some high heels then you've got absolutely no leg to stand in this line of discussion.
What a load of rubbish, sorry.
Wearing a nice dress does not give a man the license to objectify me.

Women dress the way they do because they like to express themselves, their taste in fashion and their taste in aesthetics. Everybody is welcome to appreciate beauty/aesthetics.

What you don't seem to understand is that there's a difference between appreciating beauty and a statement like "I'd do her."
The latter is objectifying the woman as a sex object, it's that sense of entitlement that pisses people off.

Stating I have no leg to stand on here just because I like dresses and high heels is insulting. Plain and simple.

We don't just do it to make men want to fuck us. But apparently you feel so entitled that you can't imagine another reason. We do it because we appreciate style, beauty and want to look good. And again: There's a difference between that and plain objectification.



So yeah: I'm shocked that this still hasn't sunk into the brains of some guys. Since you're from Mannheim you might find this helpful: Google Maps - Directions
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:12 PM   #77
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
So yeah: I'm shocked that this still hasn't sunk into the brains of some guys. Since you're from Mannheim you might find this helpful: Google Maps - Directions
You are brilliant.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:12 PM   #78
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I tried to keep out of this line of discussion but to no success.
You better had.

I also don't know how you look and what your personal style is but if you've ever put on make up, a tighter than necessary dress or some high heels then you've got absolutely no leg to stand in this line of discussion.
What a load of complete and utter rubbish.
Wearing a nice dress does not give a man the license to objectify me.

Women dress the way they do because they like to express themselves, their taste in fashion and their taste in aesthetics. Everybody is welcome to appreciate beauty/aesthetics.

What you don't seem to understand is that there's a difference between appreciating beauty and a statement like "I'd do her."
The latter is objectifying the woman as a sex object, it's that sense of entitlement that pisses people off.

Stating I have no leg to stand on here just because I like dresses and high heels is insulting. Plain and simple.

We don't just do it to make men want to fuck us. We do it because we appreciate style, beauty and want to look good. And again: There's a difference between that and plain objectification.



So yeah: I'm shocked that this still hasn't sunk into the brains of some guys. Since you're from Mannheim you might find this helpful: Google Maps - Directions
Your post made me realize the basic problem with FPAlpha's attitude (apart from it being quite sexist): he views the way women dress as something meant for him. A woman dresses in nice clothes and makeup because she's trying to impress him, not because she just likes to express herself. Those are the kinds of insidious attitudes that should be brought up in threads like this. You should never assume somebody does what they do purely or even mostly for your own benefit--it is the height of arrogance and self-entitlement to think this way, and it seems some men do it without even realizing it.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:20 PM   #79
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

Wow! I never realized that Mannheim was that close to home!
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:43 PM   #80
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
A woman dresses in nice clothes and makeup because she's trying to impress him, not because she just likes to express herself. Those are the kinds of insidious attitudes that should be brought up in threads like this. You should never assume somebody does what they do purely or even mostly for your own benefit--it is the height of arrogance and self-entitlement to think this way, and it seems some men do it without even realizing it.
Even if women dress specifically to impress some men it's the height of arrogance for a man to assume that he's one of those men!
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:50 PM   #81
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

^
Whuuuut?
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:54 PM   #82
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
A woman dresses in nice clothes and makeup because she's trying to impress him, not because she just likes to express herself. Those are the kinds of insidious attitudes that should be brought up in threads like this. You should never assume somebody does what they do purely or even mostly for your own benefit--it is the height of arrogance and self-entitlement to think this way, and it seems some men do it without even realizing it.
Even if women dress specifically to impress some men it's the height of arrogance for a man to assume that he's one of those men!
You've got the entirely wrong attitude.

If you don't assume that you're what she's trying to attract, whether it's a delusion or not, then you've already lost the battle
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 06:58 PM   #83
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

Yoda wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
A woman dresses in nice clothes and makeup because she's trying to impress him, not because she just likes to express herself. Those are the kinds of insidious attitudes that should be brought up in threads like this. You should never assume somebody does what they do purely or even mostly for your own benefit--it is the height of arrogance and self-entitlement to think this way, and it seems some men do it without even realizing it.
Even if women dress specifically to impress some men it's the height of arrogance for a man to assume that he's one of those men!
You've got the entirely wrong attitude.

If you don't assume that you're what she's trying to attract, whether it's a delusion or not, then you've already lost the battle
This is basically the textbook definition of "creepy behavior": a sense of entitlement and an assumption that every woman you meet is interested in having sex with you, even if she doesn't know it yet.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 07:04 PM   #84
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend
 
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

Yoda wrote: View Post
If you don't assume that you're what she's trying to attract, whether it's a delusion or not, then you've already lost the battle...
You've actually lost the only "battle" of consequence here, and you don't even realize it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 07:08 PM   #85
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

It has nothing to do with entitlement. It's about having confidence in yourself, and believing that you are attractive to the opposite sex. It doesn't mean "don't take no for an answer," it means you should go into the situation believing you'll get a yes.
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 07:12 PM   #86
YellowSubmarine
Commodore
 
YellowSubmarine's Avatar
 
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
If you've ever thought about a woman "Damn she's hot.." then you've got no leg to stand on either.
There's a difference between thinking “damn, she's hot, I'd like to know more about her” and “damn, she's hot, I want her in my bed tonight”.

There's a difference between thinking “I want her in my bed tonight” and thinking it whilst ignoring everything else about her.

There's a difference between ignoring everything else about her and thinking “not hot enough”.

There's a difference between doing all of the above occasionally and dedicating a weekly thread to it, publicly, with women who have proven to be worth something in society and are known by much more than being hot.

So my guess is that those wouldn't be the same thing.

Some posts here are tempting me to make a cannibal analogy. Guys, please, you don't want that to happen.
__________________
R.I.P. Admiral James T. Kirk (2233-2267, 1969, 2267, 1930, 2267-2268, 1968, 2268-2269, Serpeidon Middle Ages, 2269, 2237, 2269-2286, 1986, 2286-2293, 2371)
YellowSubmarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 07:16 PM   #87
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

Yoda wrote: View Post
It has nothing to do with entitlement. It's about having confidence in yourself, and believing that you are attractive to the opposite sex. It doesn't mean "don't take no for an answer," it means you should go into the situation believing you'll get a yes.
I agree with this but what I was talking about was viewing yourself as the center of the universe and that all women are out to impress you. What you're talking about here is something completely different.

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
There's a difference between doing all of the above occasionally and dedicating a weekly thread to it, publicly, with women who have proven to be worth something in society and are known by much more than being hot.
That's the crux of it, I think. That and the "thumbs down" portions are what the real problem is, I think. Crass comments aren't the greatest thing in the world but it happens and people say silly things on the internet- I get it; it's declaring women ugly that, to me, is what's most upsetting along with doing it in a public space every week. It's just... classless.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?

Last edited by sidious618; July 30 2012 at 07:30 PM.
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 08:38 PM   #88
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

sidious618 wrote: View Post
That's the crux of it, I think. That and the "thumbs down" portions are what the real problem is, I think. Crass comments aren't the greatest thing in the world but it happens and people say silly things on the Internet- I get it; it's declaring women ugly that, to me, is what's most upsetting along with doing it in a public space every week. It's just... classless.
True, if she doesn't "do it for you" in the looks department, in other words; you don't find here attractive, it doesn't mean she is ugly...
__________________
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything!
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 08:50 PM   #89
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I don't see the problem in that at all.. i get judged too by women when i walk the street many times a day and don't notice it at all. The difference however is that women usually are not that idiotic to whistle and holler when they see an attractive man or even try to get a grab.. that's usually the domain of male morons who really think of women as meat and not a person.
That's not the difference, and you have failed to understand the scope of the disparity between how men's and women's attractiveness is judged by society. Here's a thought exercise:

There's a news show that's about to do a segment on the economy, and there are two female economists available to discuss the issue. Both have similar levels of expertise, and both have the same viewpoint. But one of them is a beautiful woman that's displaying some cleavage, and the other is just kinda normal-looking and wearing a turtle-neck sweater. Which one of those two women do you think is most likely to appear on TV?

Alternatively, you have the same scenario but in this case there's two male economists available for the show. Once again, both have the same level of expertise, and both have the same viewpoint. But in this case, one of the men is normal-looking while wearing a suit and tie, and the other man is attractive but wearing only a vest. Who do you think gets on the air this time?

Women are valued more for their sex-appeal than men are, men are valued more for professionalism than women are. Women live their lives constantly under this increased pressure, it shapes how they view the world and how they interact with it. And it's not just something they encounter in social settings, it happens in professional settings, it happens while they're watching TV, and it happens while they're browsing the internet. If you can't comprehend that fact, or if you see fit to dismiss it, your arguments will fail to make an impact on this discussion.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:35 PM   #90
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

I think all that time and energy would be better spent fighting the gender pay gap instead of waging absurd little trench wars in internet forums. Putting anonymous horny guys to shame does not progress gender equality and accomplishes nothing of significance.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hope solo, olympics, soccer

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.