Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Hope Solo
Thumbs Up 55 68.75%
Thumbs Down 9 11.25%
Thumbs Sideways 16 20.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1 2012, 06:11 AM   #136
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: Hope Solo: Babe of the week #31 (July 2012)

Count Zero wrote: View Post
It's a compromise because banning them outright would probably cause a lot of outrage and on a message board as large as this one, you'll have to balance a variety of interests which are diverse and sometimes contradictory. It's a delicate endeavour and not everyone will be satisfied.
This.

Trying to find that middle road which will please the most and piss off the least.

Cooperation would be helpful. Expressing admiration is fine. Being a crude asshole is not. I'm sure that probably 99% of the posters in here understand that and can do so without a problem. The question is, if you don't wish to treat a woman respectfully, why not?

You know, that one time, a poster said he wanted to sit on (woman's) face. It was one of the more disgusting things I've ever read on the board and to add insult to injury, the person in question happened to read it (don't mention her name please, the last thing I want is trouble again over it). I couldn't blame her for being upset and creeped out; I sure would have been.

How hard is it to express admiration without crossing the line? When in doubt, think "Would I say this in front of Mom or some other female about whose opinion I really care?" If you wouldn't, then don't.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 12:53 PM   #137
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Very nice, Bonz. I like it when you and I agree, and you've summed it up far more succinctly than I did. Admiration good, rudeness bad.
Old August 1 2012, 01:25 PM   #138
iguana_tonante
Admiral

It's funny you say that, since I and T'Bonz have been arguing the same thing since day 1.
Old August 1 2012, 01:44 PM   #139
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
It's funny you say that, since I and T'Bonz have been arguing the same thing since day 1.
Indeed, so have most of us. Admiration is good, crass rudeness is bad. "Admiration" doesn't mean "I'd fuck her on every surface in my house," though.

Makes me wonder just what RJ was arguing against all this time.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 01:48 PM   #140
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Indeed, so have most of us. Admiration is good, crass rudeness is bad. "Admiration" doesn't mean "I'd fuck her on every surface in my house," though.

Makes me wonder just what RJ was arguing against all this time.
His point was that "rude" isn't the same as "sexist". He also said a lot of other stuff about how he sees the world.

Just pointing this out before he comes back to do it himself and everything starts over.
Old August 1 2012, 02:14 PM   #141
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Yeah, but that's not what T'Bonz was saying ("The question is, if you don't wish to treat a woman respectfully, why not?"), which made trying to hijack T'Bonz's comment quite... disingenous.
Old August 1 2012, 02:24 PM   #142
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but that's not what T'Bonz was saying ("The question is, if you don't wish to treat a woman respectfully, why not?"), which made trying to hijack T'Bonz's comment quite... disingenous.
No doubt.
Old August 1 2012, 06:18 PM   #143
cultcross
Say my name...

Anyone take a guess at what happened last on page 4?

Old August 1 2012, 06:27 PM   #144
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Would anyone please bring her and the wookie?
Old August 2 2012, 01:34 AM   #145
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
It's a compromise because banning them outright would probably cause a lot of outrage and on a message board as large as this one, you'll have to balance a variety of interests which are diverse and sometimes contradictory. It's a delicate endeavour and not everyone will be satisfied.
This.

Trying to find that middle road which will please the most and piss off the least.

Cooperation would be helpful. Expressing admiration is fine. Being a crude asshole is not. I'm sure that probably 99% of the posters in here understand that and can do so without a problem. The question is, if you don't wish to treat a woman respectfully, why not?

You know, that one time, a poster said he wanted to sit on (woman's) face. It was one of the more disgusting things I've ever read on the board and to add insult to injury, the person in question happened to read it (don't mention her name please, the last thing I want is trouble again over it). I couldn't blame her for being upset and creeped out; I sure would have been.

How hard is it to express admiration without crossing the line? When in doubt, think "Would I say this in front of Mom or some other female about whose opinion I really care?" If you wouldn't, then don't.

Let's be real though. If everyone did actually follow the dictum "don't say on the Internet what you wouldn't say in person" the World Wide Web would implode on itself into a singularity that would make the Big Crunch seem like a piker. It's not bad advice, but I can think of a million better starting places then the Babe of the Week thread.
Rageforthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:33 AM   #146
Biffette
Captain

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Just to clarify, the poster said he wanted (woman) to sit on his face, not the other way around.
Biffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 04:41 AM   #147
Balrog
Commodore

Rageforthemachine wrote: View Post
Let's be real though. If everyone did actually follow the dictum "don't say on the Internet what you wouldn't say in person" the World Wide Web would implode on itself into a singularity that would make the Big Crunch seem like a piker.
I think the "But everyone else is doing it!" argument has already been addressed.

It's not bad advice, but I can think of a million better starting places then the Babe of the Week thread.
But why not start in ones own backyard? How about saying, "Fine. It exists. But how about 'Not Here'?"

And your reasoning also works in reverse - If one can find this kind of attitude in a million other places across the 'net, why does it also HAVE to be here?
Old August 2 2012, 05:42 AM   #148
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

Lloyd Dobler wrote: View Post
Rageforthemachine wrote: View Post
Let's be real though. If everyone did actually follow the dictum "don't say on the Internet what you wouldn't say in person" the World Wide Web would implode on itself into a singularity that would make the Big Crunch seem like a piker.
I think the "But everyone else is doing it!" argument has already been addressed.

It's not bad advice, but I can think of a million better starting places then the Babe of the Week thread.
But why not start in ones own backyard? How about saying, "Fine. It exists. But how about 'Not Here'?"

And your reasoning also works in reverse - If one can find this kind of attitude in a million other places across the 'net, why does it also HAVE to be here?
Because i am including the rest of TBBS in those millions of other places. We're not starting with our backyard we are starting with hat azalea plant in the corner. Almost by definition message boards on the internet involve saying things someone will find offensive. I have never seen the utility of these endless micro-arguments about which ones are too offensive especially when perspectives differ so vastly.
Rageforthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 08:00 AM   #149
Aragorn
Admiral

Hint for the next BOTW:

When you came in the air went out.

And every shadow filled up with doubt.

I don’t know who you think you are,

But before the night is through,

I wanna do bad things with you.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 08:58 AM   #150
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Jace Everett is next week's Babe of the Week? Now I really am impressed. You're embracing the message about equal respect very well I must say.