RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 489
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old August 9 2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Oh and Timby, I'm looking forward to your Bears rants again this year. So I have reason for them to go 5-11.
Hey.

HEY.

Old August 9 2012, 08:31 PM   #17
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
New GM. New OC. New QB coach.
Sounds like my team, the Raiders, who embark this sesaon on a strange new journey into, NFL NORMALACY. Don't know what to expect as most teams hae done it his way for years and many of them have sucked for years. At least we got 4 Super Bowls and 3 championships out of the Cult of Al (RIP).

In any event, I am looking forward to this season like no other since becoming a Raiders fan. Lets have at it.
Old August 9 2012, 09:40 PM   #18
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Timby, I honestly have no feelings about the team one way or the other, I'm a Patriots fan. I just like the Monday Morning Vitriol.

Speaking of which, I get to spray my shorts for 3 minutes as the Pats starters get one drive tonight against the New Orleans Bounty Hunters.
Old August 9 2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

gblews wrote: View Post
Sounds like my team, the Raiders, who embark this sesaon on a strange new journey into, NFL NORMALACY. Don't know what to expect as most teams hae done it his way for years and many of them have sucked for years. At least we got 4 Super Bowls and 3 championships out of the Cult of Al (RIP).
I have a ton of respect for Reggie McKenzie and I feel he did a pretty decent job in this year's draft, considering the limitations forced upon him (like having no picks until the fourth round due to Carson "Fuck Mike Brown" Palmer), but I'm not sold at all on Dennis Allen, who seems cut from the Ed Donatell mold of coaching, and when your major offseason addition was Shawntae Spencer while every other team in the division got better, that's ... that's not good.
Old August 9 2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Chicago Bears, your Super Bowl XLVII champions.

Earl Bennett. Lance Briggs. Jay Cutler. Matt Forte. Robbie Gould. Devin Hester. Johnny Knox. BRANDON MARSHALL. Julius Peppers. Brian Urlacher.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.
Hester pretending to be a WR, Forte's recovery and Knox's health make those three question marks IMO.

The subtraction of Mike Martz alone should add a few wins, as should a healthy Cutler. I'm looking forward to them getting back on track after last season's debacle.
Old August 9 2012, 11:25 PM   #21
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sheep wrote: View Post
The subtraction of Mike Martz alone should add a few wins, as should a healthy Cutler. I'm looking forward to them getting back on track after last season's debacle.
Martz can go get fucked and die in a fire and I thank the Lord every day that he's gone, but I'm still concerned about Mike Tice. I don't think he'll be an utter dogshit moron of an offensive coordinator, like Martz, but I am kind of concerned that despite adding Jeremy Bates in a coaching role and the addition of Brandon Marshall, he may run a conservative, run-first offense -- not quite Ron "on third and 7, HB draw up the middle" Turner, but ... eh. Remember, this is the guy who put J'Marcus Webb in solo coverage against Jared Allen. The Bears didn't do much at all to improve the offensive line, and in fact they promoted the guy who did work to improve the line (following the annual Lovie intervention with Martz) to run the entire offense, meaning that his attention is now spread across multiple areas. I'm very interested to see what happens on offense. Webb is still the starting left tackle, Carimi is questionable ... it wasn't just Cutler getting killed, Forte was being some kind of wizard to perform like he did.

Defense is another story, since Urlacher has sat out practice for more than a week and Shea McClellin has been far from impressive in camp, and God knows what's going on in the secondary.

I think they can be a 10-win team, but my money is on the Lions winning the division, since the Vikings are a dumpster fire and the Packers need to blow up their defense, because Rodgers can't lead them to a billion yards per game forever.

Last edited by Timby; August 9 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old August 10 2012, 02:19 AM   #22
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

No Cutler or Forte or Urlacher tonight. Not really worth watching over this crappy hotel wifi.
Old August 11 2012, 02:53 AM   #23
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

So how about the Jets using Tebow on punt coverage. In preseason.

WTF???

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old August 11 2012, 04:32 PM   #24
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I didn't catch the game. He's kinda like the old square peg/round hole analogy. He's got the talent and committment to be in the NFL, but there's no great fit for him. And according to various reports, he bulked up so much in the offseason for the wildcat and special teams plays, that it's hurt his already shaky QB abilities.

I am curious to see how the 2 QB system works for them, I don't think this has been tried like this before. What's the over/under on how soon there will be a QC controversy, Week 3?

You can't tell me the radio shows and newspapers won't be calling for him the first time Sanchez goes 13/27 for 125 yards with 0 TDs and 2 picks, while Tebow scores twice from the Wildcat package and makes a big special teams play.

And in other news, the Pats lose LB Dane Fletcher for the year with a shredded knee. He's not a star, but definitel a serviceable player on D.
Old August 11 2012, 05:47 PM   #25
tighr
Commodore

I wonder how fantasy leagues will treat Tebow this year. He's not going to score enough points in most leagues to be a starting QB, but he will score more points than most flex players. In my league, we can't start Quarterbacks as a flex.
Old August 11 2012, 07:23 PM   #26

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
I didn't catch the game. He's kinda like the old square peg/round hole analogy. He's got the talent and committment to be in the NFL, but there's no great fit for him. And according to various reports, he bulked up so much in the offseason for the wildcat and special teams plays, that it's hurt his already shaky QB abilities.
They used him as a blocking back in a punt formation. Maybe it was to make the Bengals think about a fake, I don't know (the sound was off in the bar). But he ran downfield to try and make a tackle. I just thought that's a really stupid way to treat your #2 QB. Can you imagine if he blew out a knee on a punt?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old August 11 2012, 11:22 PM   #27
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Considering I hate the Jets more than a lube free prostate exam, I would not wish that upon him, but nor would I cry if that happened.
Old August 12 2012, 11:00 PM   #28

Well, it looks like the Rams have a little work to do....

Old August 12 2012, 11:28 PM   #29
Talon Lardner
Ensign

View Talon Lardner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Talon Lardner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Talon Lardner Send a message via Yahoo to Talon Lardner

Hoping the Lions do well this year. Grew up with them as a kid, so seeing them actually being a contender last season was quite a pleasure. The key for them will be to keep Stafford healthy, and watch their penalties. Last season they seemed quite undisciplined, so hopefully this season will see a bit more maturity.
Old August 13 2012, 05:26 PM   #30
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Talon Lardner wrote: View Post
Hoping the Lions do well this year. Grew up with them as a kid, so seeing them actually being a contender last season was quite a pleasure. The key for them will be to keep Stafford healthy, and watch their penalties. Last season they seemed quite undisciplined, so hopefully this season will see a bit more maturity.
Fingers crossed.

It'll be nice not have to play a Green Bay team on Thanksgiving or on the final day of the season.