Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old September 26 2012, 12:34 AM   #271
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Mays gets a one game suspension and a fine for that hit on Schaub. Glad to see that. He should have been ejected from the game.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old September 26 2012, 01:36 AM   #272
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Old September 26 2012, 03:00 AM   #273
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

The inaccurate reception.
Old September 26 2012, 04:27 AM   #274
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I also think The Toucherception is pretty good.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old September 26 2012, 05:19 AM   #275
propita
Rear Admiral

I NEVER post in this action. I don't even read this section. But I had to come here for this thread.

All I could think of was the Monty Python and the Holy Grail credits regarding sacking the group responsible for the credits, then sacking that group, then unsacking a group.
Old September 26 2012, 06:40 AM   #276
tighr
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
I also think The Toucherception is pretty good.
The other one I saw was "Intertouchception".
Old September 26 2012, 07:18 AM   #277
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I honestly don't understand all the attention this is getting and am getting seriously tired of all the indignation. It wasn't any more egregious than the more notorious botched coin flips, push-offs, phantom PI calls, and miss-called non catches of the last 50 years of NFL football.

The hyperbole and outrage of it being the "worst call in history" is just plain stupid. There have been many that were worse--several of which were in late season games or in the playoffs. This was a week three game.

The only reason this has garnered as much attention as it did is because people are trying to turn the replacement refs into scape goats. The poor guys were put into a shitty situation and are just doing their jobs.

People have even called them scabs. The thing is, had they not come to the rescue, the NFL would have been facing its second lockout situation in as many years. This would have killed the sport.

Could they be doing a better job? Absolutely. But the media and players are just as responsible for the circus as they are. There have been plenty of right calls over the last few weeks that have been marked wrong by the announcers or by players complaining about them in the post game. This has made these guys intimidated and unsure of themselves, and the whole thing has spun out of control. How many of the calls on Sunday were the direct result of coach and or player solicitation? There's plenty of people to blame for creating this current atmosphere.

And ESPN devoting more time to breaking down the film than the Warren Commission did the Grassy Knoll tape isn't helping matters.

Honestly, I'm partly convinced the only reason they obsessed over it so much is because they can't face the fact their darling Packers aren't nearly as good as they thought they were. The only "butthurt" the Packers received was thanks to the Seahawk's defense. Had they really played as well as they're supposedly able to, that play would have never happened.

So if you want to blame someone, blame Discount Double Check for playing like shit. Don't blame the replacement refs.
Old September 26 2012, 08:49 AM   #278
Yoda
Rear Admiral

^Nice... Anyone else who read that post as absolutely shocked as I am that the 'faux voice of reason' tone gave way to "I HATE THE PACKERS!!!!!11!"?
Old September 26 2012, 03:20 PM   #279
chrisspringob
Commodore

Here's a gimmicky, but creative idea on how the players could pressure the owners to cut a deal with the refs if they don't want to do a full-on boycott:

http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/0...feree-lockout/

Have the players' union announce that until the real refs return, the players will pick several games each weekend at random, and refuse to start playing the game until about 15 or 30 minutes after the scheduled start time. Just long enough to wreak havoc with the TV schedules.

If the networks try to adjust coverage accordingly, then randomize. Change the length of the delays. Do it after half-time instead of before the game. My guess is that after a week or two of this, the TV networks will put so much pressure on the league that the lockout will be over.
Old September 26 2012, 03:25 PM   #280
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

That would only serve to piss off fans who set aside time in their day to watch or attend the game.
Old September 26 2012, 04:09 PM   #281
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

It's become quite clear why the NFL was so insistent that the players agree to a "no-strike" clause in last year's CBA negotiations -- the league intended to lock out the officials all along, and so it headed the players off at the pass to block their only meaningful recourse against a ref lockout.
Old September 26 2012, 07:59 PM   #282
Scout101
Admiral

Report is now that both sides are close, and have an agreement in principle. This thing could be back up and running by the weekend (sucks for the Thursday night game, i guess?)
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old September 26 2012, 08:13 PM   #283
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The NFL should suck it up and give the Refs the 3 million, which amounts to an infinitesimal percentage of what the NFL makes a year on tickets, ad revenue, sponsorships and other means. This whole thing is a microcosm of the "other 99%" thing.
Old September 26 2012, 09:08 PM   #284
tighr
Commodore

The thing that sucks in this is that the NFL knows they have all the leverage. We're not going to stop watching the games just because the officials suck (in fact, ratings may be up, and certainly they're getting a lot of press). The majority of the NFL's income doesn't come from fans going to the games and watching them, it comes from us watching it on TV. And even though I don't pay for cable, I am paying for the NFL indirectly via advertising revenue and the TV deals they have in place.

I haven't given the NFL one red cent this season, and yet they've already made their money off me. ESPN, CBS, FOX, and NBC are the ones who have paid for this season's NFL games.
Old September 26 2012, 11:08 PM   #285
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The only reason this has garnered as much attention as it did is because people are trying to turn the replacement refs into scape goats. The poor guys were put into a shitty situation and are just doing their jobs.

People have even called them scabs. The thing is, had they not come to the rescue, the NFL would have been facing its second lockout situation in as many years. This would have killed the sport.

Could they be doing a better job? Absolutely. But the media and players are just as responsible for the circus as they are. There have been plenty of right calls over the last few weeks that have been marked wrong by the announcers or by players complaining about them in the post game. This has made these guys intimidated and unsure of themselves, and the whole thing has spun out of control. How many of the calls on Sunday were the direct result of coach and or player solicitation? There's plenty of people to blame for creating this current atmosphere.

And ESPN devoting more time to breaking down the film than the Warren Commission did the Grassy Knoll tape isn't helping matters.

Honestly, I'm partly convinced the only reason they obsessed over it so much is because they can't face the fact their darling Packers aren't nearly as good as they thought they were. The only "butthurt" the Packers received was thanks to the Seahawk's defense. Had they really played as well as they're supposedly able to, that play would have never happened.

So if you want to blame someone, blame Discount Double Check for playing like shit. Don't blame the replacement refs.
I don't really blame the replacement refs except when they screw up completely obvious calls on replay. They're doing a tough job amidst pressure from players, coaches, press, and fans; a job that takes lots of experience to learn all the details (and even then you make mistakes) and years of practice to develop a trained eye that can keep up with the pace of the action. I blame the NFL for putting players at risk and affecting the outcome of games by resorting to replacement refs instead of cutting a deal with the regular refs.