Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 25 2012, 07:55 PM   #16
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode-a-week: Encounter at Farpoint

Great idea for a thread. Can't wait to get my set and catch up with you all.
Old July 25 2012, 09:17 PM   #17
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well if the Q plot feels "bolted on" it's because it was. Roddenberry stated that the pilot was originally going to be a one hour episode and it was later expaneded into a two hour. But this introduced us to Q, so even if this was an average episode for him at best, it set good precident.

As for the Saucer section... really, there was a main reason it wasn't used more. If you're taking your ship into battle, that means there are enemies around. If you seperate the saucer section, that means it's stuck wherever you leave it. That seems like a bad place to leave all your women and children. Great in theory to be able to safely dump your civillians, but in practice it really just leaves them more vulnerable. Honestly, I'd say after Wolf 359 and the Dominion War that whole families on starships bit was rethought.

Man, the one thing that really struck out at me this episode was they just wanted to show off those com badges. Seriously, try playing a drinking game every time they tap one of those.

Picard, well he was a jerk most of the first couple of seasons. He's the detached captain, he's not there to be their friends, he's there to lead them.

Crosby well, yeah killing her early was good for the fanchise.

The most amusing scene to me was that Farpoint station. You have the same half dozen extras just running back and forth to make the place look crowded. Makes me laugh every time.

Overall, it's not an inspiring episode by any means, but it introduces us to the new ship and crew and sets the foundation for better things in the future.
Old July 25 2012, 09:25 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post

Picard, well he was a jerk most of the first couple of seasons. He's the detached captain, he's not there to be their friends, he's there to lead them.
I've been rewatching season one and I still don't get where this comes from? He's cordial during Troi's possible marriage, shoots the shit with Riker and Minuet in 11001001, calls Data a friend during Justice and takes an interest in Wesley during various episodes.

Season one is the one where these characters seem the most like real people.

Last edited by BillJ; July 26 2012 at 02:37 AM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 01:40 AM   #19
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ But season 1 is also where the characters are still finding their way so to speak, so they would seem a little uneven at worst.

I'm amazed at how much the Data & "Admiral" scene still gets to me after all these years. It's been a long time since I saw any 1st season episodes, but still.

Even the always cheesy space-jellyfish scene.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 03:48 AM   #20
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

I did not have a problem with season 1, really.....stories like Conspiracy, Home Soil, The Arsenal of Freedom, etc I liked a quite a bit.

Farpoint was not too bad....I just fast forwarded past Troi's over reacting.
Saucer Separation, I am glad, was not used often....it would eat up time.....like watching a Voltron episode or He-Man transforming, gets repetitive. And I liked how it did not end using combat to solve the mystery.

And the drunken diva Crosby was, she'd probably have gotten kicked off the show at some point or another anyhow......though the same could be said for Garret Yang, but it was just sheer luck that he stayed on Voyager....wonder what term could be used for a male diva.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 04:13 AM   #21
davejames
Vice Admiral

The Castellan wrote: View Post
like watching a Voltron episode or He-Man transforming, gets repetitive..
Actually the transformation sequences in Voltron and He-Man were always my favorite part of the episode.

No matter how often I saw them, they were always cool and exciting as hell.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 04:43 AM   #22
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Garrett Wang was a diva?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 11:53 PM   #23
davejames
Vice Admiral

Just a suggestion, but I think it might be time to start a few more episode threads. Most of us have already moved well past Farpoint by now (thanks to the sampler).

And the general "Season One" thread seems to be preoccupied mostly with audio/video issues, so it's hard to really get into any discussion in there.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 12:16 AM   #24
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I don't even have The Naked Now on BD yet. I saved $2.98 with free Super Saver shipping.
Old July 28 2012, 04:36 AM   #25
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Amazon's price only recently reflected Best Buy's price. I was willing to pay tax to get it when I did (Tuesday).
Old July 28 2012, 07:45 PM   #26
MikeS
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Just a suggestion, but I think it might be time to start a few more episode threads. Most of us have already moved well past Farpoint by now (thanks to the sampler).
I disagree, the OP's original intent was to "recreate the eighties", one episode a week - there was no skipping ahead back then.

And it fits in great with the release of season two. We should be done reviewing by the time that's released.

captrek wrote: View Post
Let’s relive the 80’s, watching one episode a week and coming together here to discuss it. Today, release day, we’ll start with Encounter at Farpoint, and begin a new thread each Tuesday. We won’t have reruns or summer hiatus, so we’ll go through about two seasons per year, assuming the Blu Ray releases keep up with that schedule.
Old July 28 2012, 10:48 PM   #27
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ And I remember watching EaF, the day it aired, on a 13" B&W TV.

Not quite the same effect as having the blu-ray, for sure, but I'm glad I was there.
Old July 29 2012, 02:20 AM   #28
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Garrett Wang was a diva?
I use the term as a derogatory term for anyone that's pretty much a self centered jerk, male or female.

And from what I read of what he was like when Voyager was being made, I got one word to describe him:

Lucky.

They kept him around, despite him being useless.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 05:44 AM   #29
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Lucky to be kept around? Yeah. Untalented? Sure. But self centered jerk? How so? Every time I've seen him speak he seems quite humble.
Old July 29 2012, 06:00 AM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Garrett Wang was a diva?
I use the term as a derogatory term for anyone that's pretty much a self centered jerk, male or female.

And from what I read of what he was like when Voyager was being made, I got one word to describe him:

Lucky.

They kept him around, despite him being useless.
If Harry Kim wasn't around who else would all the bad things happen to? Transporting O'brien to the Delta Quadrant would be a stretch.