New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old July 20 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

At least 12 killed, 50 injured at midnight showing of Batman movie

DENVER, Colorado (Reuters) - A masked gunman killed 14 people at a midnight showing of the new Batman movie in a suburb of Denver early on Friday, sparking pandemonium when he hurled a teargas canister into the auditorium and opened fire on moviegoers.

Fifty others including children were wounded in the attack on the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in a mall in the Aurora suburb, some of whom were treated for the effects of tear gas, hospital officials said.

"This is a horrific event," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates told a news conference, adding that a suspect was taken into custody in the parking lot behind the theater.

Police said the Aurora gunman had appeared at the front of the theater during the movie and released a canister which let out a hissing sound at the theater before gunfire erupted.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,6584688.story

What a tragedy! Why did the guy even do this?

I'm surprised this hasn't happened before since theaters don't have security for midnight events like this with so many people. Will they need to hire an armed security guard from now on for all midnight showings?

Last edited by Dream; July 20 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old July 20 2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: 14 killed, 50 injured at midnight showing of Batman movie

See, this is why I only read marvel comics.
Old July 20 2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Tom
Rear Admiral

i hope he does not say he was mocking Bane or Joker from the films or something.
Old July 20 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Forbin wrote: View Post
See, this is why I only read marvel comics.
Not funny Forbin.
Old July 20 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
What a tragedy! Why did the guy even do this?
There can almost certainly be no possible answer to this question that would make it worth the effort of asking. We ought to leave it to the judge/jury/prison psychs. The better questions are, was anyone negligent in not reporting this guy as a lunatic, and why was he permitted to buy all these guns? Is this what a "well-regulated militia" looks like?

Dream wrote: View Post
I mean, theaters don't have security. Will they need to hire an armed security guard from now on for all midnight showings?
No.

Incidentally, the fact that there were under-10 children in attendance is particularly awful. Their parents deserve a good spanking, or at the very least some parenting counseling, once/if they get over the trauma of the event.
Old July 20 2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Rhaven
Captain

This is just awful.
Old July 20 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Incidentally, the fact that there were under-10 children in attendance is particularly awful. Their parents deserve a good spanking, or at the very least some parenting counseling, once/if they get over the trauma of the event.
Bullshit. I've got three kids and two went and two went to Midnight releases before they were ten.

It is Summer, these kids don't have school the next day.
Old July 20 2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Pingfah
Admiral

I think he was probably referring to the content of the film being unsuitable for young children.
Old July 20 2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Don't you think they've been punished enough?
Old July 20 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Rhaven
Captain

Gaith wrote:
The better questions are, was anyone negligent in not reporting this guy as a lunatic, and why was he permitted to buy all these guns? Is this what a "well-regulated militia" looks like?
Who knows how altered this guy was? He could have been someone you worked with or just walked by. You wouldn't know either.

Please don't make this about gun control. Having weapons doesn't make a person do something like this.
Old July 20 2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Gaith
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Oho? You know for a fact that none of the children in attendance had a summer school to go to today?
Old July 20 2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Rhaven wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote:
The better questions are, was anyone negligent in not reporting this guy as a lunatic, and why was he permitted to buy all these guns? Is this what a "well-regulated militia" looks like?
Who knows how altered this guy was? He could have been someone you worked with or just walked by. You wouldn't know either.

Please don't make this about gun control. Having weapons doesn't make a person do something like this.
Although I can see your point, Gaith makes a good one, too. Guys like Jared Lee Loughner should've never been able to obtain guns. Is this another instance where a mentally ill person was able to heavily arm himself because of lax regulation? It's worth finding out.

I'll grant that we can't prevent all incidents like this, but we can certainly do more to keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable individuals.
My blog
Old July 20 2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote:
The better questions are, was anyone negligent
It's not at all uncommon for warning signs to be missed/ignored by family, coworkers, etc. In certain circumstances, I might well know, and so might you.

Really? When was the last time someone murdered fourteen people with a butter knife? The fact that the suspect was peacefully apprehended suggests to me that he may be afraid of bodily harm.
Old July 20 2012, 02:35 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Oho? You know for a fact that none of the children in attendance had a summer school to go to today?
Oh for fuck's sake. Do you get off on complaining?

Even if they did have school, the parents still have the right to take their kids to a movie. I doubt any parent thought the likelyhood of a movie premiere turning into a war zone was very high.
Old July 20 2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Dream
Admiral

CNN: Youngest Victim is 3 month old baby.