MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 30 2012, 08:26 PM   #886
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
Brikar99 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

This has always been my opinion as well. Somehow, little or no film grain makes the image look "flatter" or less real.
I submit that it's a drastic change in lighting style rather than film stock or grain level that makes the later seasons look so different.
I'm talking about movies and TV in general
Oh... Well, then, carry on.
Old September 30 2012, 11:05 PM   #887
ATimson
Rear Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
"Better" film stock this, "better" film stock that – I still say the first two seasons look vastly better, more cintematic and more interestingly set up as the rest of the series.
More cinematic and more interestingly set up I'll give you. But I'd argue that the lighting seen in the later seasons is certainly more realistic for what you'd expect to see in such an environment (there's not going to be fancy yellow mood lighting in the conference room!), and is therefore better.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 01:07 AM   #888
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
"Better" film stock this, "better" film stock that – I still say the first two seasons look vastly better, more cintematic and more interestingly set up as the rest of the series.
More cinematic and more interestingly set up I'll give you. But I'd argue that the lighting seen in the later seasons is certainly more realistic for what you'd expect to see in such an environment (there's not going to be fancy yellow mood lighting in the conference room!), and is therefore better.
But it's TV. I'm there to be entertained, if I want realistic I will watch the news.
Old October 1 2012, 06:47 PM   #889
Flake
Commodore

Season 1&2 lighting is better than 4/5/6/7

Season 3 is sort of in-between

Star Trek Generations is the best example of outer space lighting and remains the best looking Trek film imho.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 07:47 PM   #890
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post

Star Trek Generations is the best example of outer space lighting and remains the best looking Trek film imho.
Yes!
Old October 1 2012, 09:27 PM   #891
Dream
Admiral

I'll take the later seasons with the better writing over the first two seasons any day!
Old October 2 2012, 12:09 AM   #892
Mr_Homn
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post

I'll take the later seasons with the better writing over the first two seasons any day!
Season 3 is the best of both worlds (Pun intended)...

It has overall the best quality writing of the series, some of the lighting qualities of season 1/2, and it has some of Ron Jones's best work on the series!
Old October 2 2012, 01:08 AM   #893
sadsquid
Lieutenant

Hmm, Generations is actually my least favourite looking TNG movie. Too much orange! It felt like the whole movie was happening as the sun was setting. I guess that's just my thing. I preferred the subdued lighting of later seasons over the bright, unnatural-feeling lighting of the first and second seasons.
sadsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 01:56 PM   #894
Salinga
Captain

Actually I find the lighting of GEN always irritating, because its pretty much too dark. It looked to me, like the D had a power outage or something. I understand the motive behind it, because they wanted to transport a certain mood, but I think it was "too much", because it took my concentration off a scene and made me think about "Why is it so dark there?" instead of watching the movie. It's like bad music or bad special effects, that make you think more about this aspect of a movie instead just beeing involved in the story of the movie itself.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:52 PM   #895
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

The bland, over-bright, somewhat washed out appearance of TNG's later seasons would've looked bloody awful on the big screen IMHO. Generations is absolutely beautiful to look at, a triumph of visual aesthetics.
Old October 2 2012, 07:21 PM   #896
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I have to admit I really like the lighting on the bridge as well as the two extra side stations in Generations. It's too bad we didn't get to see more of it.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:24 AM   #897
Salinga
Captain

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
I have to admit I really like the lighting on the bridge as well as the two extra side stations in Generations. It's too bad we didn't get to see more of it.
The side stations AFAIK appeared first in the TNG episode "Yesterdays Enterprise", in the alternate 1701-D bridge. I agree, it would have been cool to keep these, at least to give more action to the background, but I also understand, why they didnt do it during the series: Too much of a change of the bridge and you also have to pay for the extras sitting there, pushing buttons and looking serious.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:34 PM   #898
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yeah, from what I heard it was the cost of keeping two more extras on set all day that nixed the idea of having the two side stations as a regular set piece.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 05:48 PM   #899
Mott the barber
Commodore

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
The bland, over-bright, somewhat washed out appearance of TNG's later seasons would've looked bloody awful on the big screen IMHO. Generations is absolutely beautiful to look at, a triumph of visual aesthetics.

I agree. The ship never looked better inside and out than on the big screen with the awesome 6-footer.
Old October 8 2012, 04:48 AM   #900
asp7485
Lieutenant Commander

Has anyone noticed just how many men are in skants in season one? At first I thought it was only one or two, but now I'm noticing some guy in a skant every other episode or so! There's one at the door for Troi's reception in "Haven", for example.
asp7485 is offline   Reply With Quote