Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 25 2012, 05:19 PM   #76
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I watched Encounter at Farpoint and Naked Now last night and didn't notice the audio issues (Of course like I said, I don't have a surround sound set up so I'm just using the TV speakers) but I thought I noticed some mumbling during the special features. I thought it was part of the gag reel and it meant to be there so I thought nothing of it. If they do have a recall, I'll take advantage of it, but reading some of these issues from people (And what I perceive to be slight overreactions) is disappointing to say the least.

After watching Naked Now though, I was really hoping the HD would actually fix the "Picard shouldn't have been infected because grunting doesn't intoxicate you" rule break that has bugged me for the longest time. Alas, it was not to be.
Old July 25 2012, 05:24 PM   #77
davejames
Vice Admiral

Speaking of which, with a stellar fragment about to destroy the ship and the thousands of people onboard, why didn't anybody think to simply blast through the wall or giant glass window with a phaser to get to the Engineering controls??

If the Doctor's dumb kid gets hurt or killed in the process, so be it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 05:29 PM   #78
davejames
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
After watching Naked Now though, I was really hoping the HD would actually fix the "Picard shouldn't have been infected because grunting doesn't intoxicate you" rule break that has bugged me for the longest time. Alas, it was not to be.
Yeah I'm not exactly sure how he got infected. Unless Beverly was touching his hands during one of those closups, and we just didn't see it.

I did love that little wave he gave her afterwards though. That still cracks me up.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 05:48 PM   #79
Mott the barber
Commodore

Every time I watch it, I think how "The Naked Now" would have been so much better had it been done a few years down the road. Probably the closest thing we got to it (and it's still a stretch) was "Conundrum" in S5 in terms of the crew not acting themselves.
Old July 25 2012, 05:54 PM   #80
Mott the barber
Commodore

I considered starting a new thread for this, but I'll put it in here for now. Let's make a list of every scene in Season 1 where you think you spot a CGI shot of the E-D. We know about the digital mattes in EAF from the documentary (and good guesswork beforehand by board members), but as I mentioned in another thread, I think the shot of the ship in the "outer rim" galaxy in WNOHGB where the ship is coming generally toward the camera is a CG E-D (I hope I'm wrong and it is just a testament to the amazing model work). I haven't made my way past "The Naked Now" so that's all I've got for now!

Tired of all this Audio talk. It's making me depressed!

Last edited by Mott the barber; July 25 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 06:01 PM   #81
trekker670
Captain

The digital matte is repeated in Code of Honor.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 06:38 PM   #82
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
You're talking about this, right?

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_862.jpg

The funny thing is, the original miniature element was found and used in "Heart of Glory"... but they didn't bother replacing it in "Encounter at Farpoint" or "Code of Honor"!
Old July 25 2012, 06:42 PM   #83
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

The funny thing is, the original miniature element was found and used in "Heart of Glory"... but they didn't bother replacing it in "Encounter at Farpoint" or "Code of Honor"!
That matte looks worse than the original shot in the DVD. Only time so far where I thought that.
Old July 25 2012, 06:48 PM   #84
BennyRussel
Commander

I skipped to disc six and watched "Conspiracy" and "The Neutral Zone" Both looked exquisite. I had forgotten about all the gore in "Conspiracy" but I still thought it was a good episode.

Seeing it again I wanted to see more of Walker Keel.

There were some pretty bad audio sync issues in the second half of "The Neutral Zone" but I am conceding that I do not have the best Blu-Ray player or sound system.

This is going to be a fun re-watch.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 07:30 PM   #85
ATimson
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Speaking of which, with a stellar fragment about to destroy the ship and the thousands of people onboard, why didn't anybody think to simply blast through the wall or giant glass window with a phaser to get to the Engineering controls??
Or heck, just beam into there...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 08:22 PM   #86
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Watched Naked Now last night too.

I was a little taken aback by a boy's decision to destroy a Federation starship, even an empty one.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2012, 08:23 PM   #87
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

That matte looks worse than the original shot in the DVD. Only time so far where I thought that.
I think it looks terrible, too.
Old July 25 2012, 08:26 PM   #88
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I don't have a super fancy 7.1 system or anything, but I did watch a bit of Farpoint again and noticed Picard's captain's log entries were for some reason really echoey and concentrated only in the front, which was odd and which I don't remember from the sampler.

But the rest of the dialogue sounded fine to me.

The Naked Now looked and sounded great though. I thought I was used to the HD picture already, but the way these colors pop off the screen still completely blows my mind. After all these years, it's just SO damn weird to see the show and characters in such sharp detail.

The fact it looks like it was shot yesterday... but still has the cheesy storytelling and dated hairstyles of the 80s, is just very odd and is going to take some getting used to, I think.

BTW, whatever happened to that goofy asian engineer Shimodo? He would have been fun to keep around!
Never thought I'd see TNG described as "cheesy." Wow.
Old July 25 2012, 08:33 PM   #89
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Angel4576 wrote: View Post

An additional 7 were in the can by the time the series premiered on September 28th.
Which would give them nine completed episodes when you factor in Farpoint, plus "in the can" means completely done and ready for airing. I'm sure they probably had some that were shot and still waiting for post-production processing.

The ratings did continue to get better the longer the show ran, but it was an unqualified hit right out of the gate and never lost steam from a ratings perspective.
I was 16 when TNG first came out. I remember watching the first night.

TNG, in my mind, was a highly anticipated, uncertain experiment. There was tremendous doubt about whether or not it would work, if there could be Trek without Kirk-Spock-McCoy, and if there could be a "new" Enterprise.

I can't imagine it being an "unqualified hit right out of the gate" as you say. It became that, but early on, it was an unknown. Our look back is colored by all that has come since TNG first debuted; it may be hard to remember what it was like when all there was of Trek was TOS and the TOS movies.
Old July 25 2012, 08:41 PM   #90
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BriGuy wrote: View Post
I can't imagine it being an "unqualified hit right out of the gate" as you say. It became that, but early on, it was an unknown. Our look back is colored by all that has come since TNG first debuted; it may be hard to remember what it was like when all there was of Trek was TOS and the TOS movies.
http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/syndicated_1987/

TV Obscurities wrote:

None of the syndicated programming premiering in the fall of 1987 was as highly anticipated as the two-hour premiered of Paramount Television’s Star Trek: The Next Generation. Proving that within the television industry you can go home again, Gene Roddenberry brought his unique vision of the future back to the small screen, starting the week of September 28th (because syndicated programs air at different times on different days in different areas of the country there is no set airdate).

Overall, in Nielsen’s fifteen major markets, the premiere averaged a 21 share and, more importantly, an impressive 300% improvement in share over the comparable year-ago numbers in those same markets. Ratings for the series were so good, in fact, that Paramount renewed Star Trek: The Next Generation for a full second season in November of 1987.
An unqualified hit right out of the gate.