New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 18 2012, 03:53 PM   #631
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Skin tones look fine to me as well, any "problems" with them are more likely due to makeup methods used in the first season and most likely the... "crude" way they lit the sets in the first two seasons.
I thought the lighting from seasons one and two was far better than the "hospital" lighting they implemented for season three and on.
I never used to feel that way. But now...
Old August 18 2012, 05:02 PM   #632
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post
There is something I have noticed since I started watching the remastered episodes. Caucasian skin looks too pink. This is most noticeable on the Enterprise sets with good illumination like the bridge. At first I thought this was due to bad calibration of our HD TV but since then I have tested the episodes on half a dozen different screens and the issue persists. It is also visible on many of the screencaps at TrekCore. White skinned people look like they have an alcohol problem or are running a fever. Have others noticed this too or am I imagining things?

The effect is especially pronounced in WNHGB.

Here are a few examples:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...one_hd_094.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...one_hd_170.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...one_hd_219.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...one_hd_288.jpg
Looks absolutely fine to me. There IS such a thing as being too critical.
Old August 18 2012, 06:19 PM   #633
TrekAlliance92
Captain

After taking a break from Trek due to the Olympics, I watched one of my all-time favorite episodes today, "11001001"

I definitely noticed the audio on the main track (thankfully, I just got a reply to my replacement request, so that'll soon not be an issue!). So, I switched to Stereo.

WOW. The spacedock scenes are stunning in the remastered version. I also noticed lots of little details on computer screens and doors I couldn't make out before. Awesome.

This episode is one of my favorites because of the unique aliens, interesting plot, and cool conclusion. It's tense, romantic, funny, dramatic, and adventurous all in the same episode. And, the scene where the Enterprise returns to Spacedock is awesome. This has one of Ron Jones' finest scores--the "stealing the Enterprise" cue and the return to Spacedock cue are among the series' finest!
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 07:01 PM   #634
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The look of the spacedock in HD is just glorious. And, yeah, the score for when the Enterprise returns to the spacedock is just fantastic.
Old August 18 2012, 09:13 PM   #635
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Here's the latest observations article. This time: "Lonely among us".:

"Lonely among us" at EAS
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 09:20 PM   #636
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I thought the lighting from seasons one and two was far better than the "hospital" lighting they implemented for season three and on.
The S1/S2 lighting was more cinematic, but I think the later, flatter lighting was more realistic.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 09:42 PM   #637
M
Vice Admiral

I, too, prefer the lighting in the first two seasons, as I find it much more dramatic and realistic. Surfaces and fabrics appear much more natural under those early lighting conditions.

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post

"Lonely among us" at EAS
Good article, as always. However, didn't someone in this very thread notice that the sequence of the ship entering the nebula in the beginning actually is different from the original version? Something about the ship being placed in front of the nebula instead of behind it?

Also, I just knew there wasn't a 'P' behind Worf in the original version! Thanks for checking that.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 10:23 PM   #638
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

"Lonely Among Us" Blu-Ray caps at TrekCore:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.php?album=9
Old August 18 2012, 11:16 PM   #639
NewHorizon
Captain

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
I, too, prefer the lighting in the first two seasons, as I find it much more dramatic and realistic. Surfaces and fabrics appear much more natural under those early lighting conditions.

"Lonely among us" at EAS
Good article, as always. However, didn't someone in this very thread notice that the sequence of the ship entering the nebula in the beginning actually is different from the original version? Something about the ship being placed in front of the nebula instead of behind it?

Also, I just knew there wasn't a 'P' behind Worf in the original version! Thanks for checking that.
The cloud passes in front of the ship at a slightly different time in the new version.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 01:05 AM   #640
Jeyl
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
it's amusing that with a relative free hand and an 80s audience, Star Trek: The Next Generation chose to put men in charge.
It's a good thing that Star Trek has come such a long way since the late 80s in it's depiction of women from the first season of The Next Generation. We have literally gone from a ratio of six men and three women to six men and one woman. And it's going to get a lot better. I hear that the next movie will have Uhura finally using her linguistic skills when contacting an alien race that doesn't speak english. And they say I'm unfair.

Ok, going to watch the episode that gave us the "Q Who" effects shot of the Enterprise being shot through space.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 02:06 AM   #641
davejames
Vice Admiral

"Lonely among us" at EAS
Never realized the Anticans popped up again in so many episodes. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 08:52 AM   #642
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

ATimson wrote: View Post
The S1/S2 lighting was more cinematic, but I think the later, flatter lighting was more realistic.
I disagree. It was a time-saver, I'm sure, just to light up everything and be done with it, but the more dynamic lighting of the early seasons is going to make the first couple years look far superior in HD to the later seasons. At least, IMO, judging from the sampler DVD.
Old August 19 2012, 09:31 AM   #643
Jefferies
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
I disagree. It was a time-saver, I'm sure, just to light up everything and be done with it, but the more dynamic lighting of the early seasons is going to make the first couple years look far superior in HD to the later seasons. At least, IMO, judging from the sampler DVD.
It's truly ironic, but I also believe that this is what will happen. But I'm sceptical if the changes in lighting were only undertaken to save a bit of time. How much did a TNG episode cost back in the day, was it 2 million USD? For that kind of money I'm sure they would find the time to adjust the lighting. I suspect it was more likely a misguided creative decision.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 03:11 PM   #644
Warped9
Admiral

After you get over the enhanced picture quality you start to notice some other things.

The packaging seems rather cheap and no frills. There is no listing of episodes and features either on the discs themselves or in a handy little booklet. The casing is a basic, bare bones plastic holder. And this on top of the sloppy handling of the audio issues. And why do I have to choose a language whenever I pop in a disc? Shouldn't English be the default and you can choose Languages on a menu if you want something else?

Good thing Amazon dropped their price.
Old August 19 2012, 03:30 PM   #645
Jefferies
Captain

I don't really care about the packaging. Always found the clunky boxes we got with the original DVD release rather cumbersome. Traveling with my Star Trek DVD collection was rather impractical that way. So if anything this is an improvement regarding ease of use. Also, I'm not sure about the language selection? When I put the discs into my player I get asked if I want to resume at the last point and it takes me to the main menu. So yes I need to select English on first insertion but that's always been the case with Star Trek DVDs/Blu-rays.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote