Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 11 2012, 12:25 PM   #541
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Next episode has HD Screencaps at TrekCore:

Over 400 blu-ray screencaps from 'Where No One Has Gone Before' here: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.php?album=8
Old August 11 2012, 01:04 PM   #542
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

...and the accompanying Observations article is online, too:

"Where no one has gone before" observations at EAS
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 06:33 PM   #543
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, but as a "pretty young actress" who has done nothing of note it's not a good "selling point" to potential employers to say you quit not even one year into your first contract. It's a sign of indecisiveness and just does not look good.
Maybe if she was trying out for other TV roles, but I doubt movie producers really care about that kind of thing. They only need her for like three months or so.

And it's not like she went through some messy, protracted process with the studio like a Charlie Sheen or something. All she did was go to Roddenberry and he let her out of the contract, plain and simple.

Obviously in retrospect she should have stuck around, but I seriously doubt her leaving is what ruined her career. It's more the fact she just wasn't a very strong actress.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 06:50 PM   #544
davejames
Vice Admiral

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post

Man, I never noticed before just how many old sets and props were recycled between the various TV series and movies.
Old August 11 2012, 07:42 PM   #545
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Another great article. I like how in the new "wall of fire" shot, the compositor rotoscoped properly around the wood rail which wasn't done originally. It's little touches like that which make this remastering effort even more enjoyable to watch.

I agree also that it's strange they left the moving people in the observation lounge in the approach to Galaxy M-33. I suggested to Mr. Okuda several weeks ago that they should have erased the moving people from the pencil animation and just left the table and chairs for shots like this.

The same shot can be seen in the opening of act one of Season Three's "The Ensigns of Command." In that case, the windows are simply blue... but that would also be a great occasion to use a people-less observation lounge element.
Old August 11 2012, 07:53 PM   #546
M
Vice Admiral

I'm unclear about how the window lights on that shot of the 2-footer going to warp were achieved. I believe it was in this thread were it was said they were painted in digitally by CBS. Your article (and Mike Okuda's quote in it), however, makes it sound like the "lights" (= the reflective tape) were always there and it's just with the new compositing that they are visible now.

So which is it?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 08:05 PM   #547
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Honestly? I think both is the case, Mike left it open.
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 08:29 PM   #548
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post

I'm unclear about how the window lights on that shot of the 2-footer going to warp were achieved. I believe it was in this thread were it was said they were painted in digitally by CBS. Your article (and Mike Okuda's quote in it), however, makes it sound like the "lights" (= the reflective tape) were always there and it's just with the new compositing that they are visible now.

So which is it?
I interpreted what he was saying as they shot a window light pass in 1987 by shining a light on the reflective tape... then CBS Digital took that element (now in HD) and boosted the levels to make the windows brighter white than they were on film originally. The new digital composite now has brighter looking windows as a result.
Old August 11 2012, 08:34 PM   #549
M
Vice Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I interpreted what he was saying as they shot a window light pass in 1987 by shining a light on the reflective tape... then CBS Digital took that element (now in HD) and boosted the levels to make the windows brighter white than they were on film originally. Thus the new digital composite now has brighter looking windows as a result.
Yes, that's what I took from Mike Okuda's words, too. However, it contradics an earlier assessment by someone in this thread (unfortunately I don't remember who and where exactly), that the windows were painted in digitally in the remastering process. So I was wondering which version was true (as obviousley they can't both be ture).
Old August 11 2012, 08:49 PM   #550
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I interpreted what he was saying as they shot a window light pass in 1987 by shining a light on the reflective tape... then CBS Digital took that element (now in HD) and boosted the levels to make the windows brighter white than they were on film originally. Thus the new digital composite now has brighter looking windows as a result.
Yes, that's what I took from Mike Okuda's words, too. However, it contradics an earlier assessment by someone in this thread (unfortunately I don't remember who and where exactly), that the windows were painted in digitally in the remastering process. So I was wondering which version was true (as obviousley they can't both be ture).
I would go with the guy who actually works on the project.

Painting in the windows digitally would have taken forever... also they couldn't have done it with Tobias Richter's CG model because it has a different window pattern than the 2-foot model. Also, getting it to line up perfectly would have been very difficult (i.e. nearly impossible).
Old August 12 2012, 12:13 AM   #551
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well we already see that HD has made the lights on the OTHER models stand out a lot more, so it only makes sense that the same would happen with the 2-footer as well.
Old August 12 2012, 12:22 AM   #552
Ghostface1701
Commander

I think it may be both for warp-entry shots. There's no lighting pass when they use the slit-scan technique, so the lights are digitally added at that point (as they were for the shots in the opening titles).
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 03:54 PM   #553
Ghostface1701
Commander

Watched up to Haven now, and I was shocked to find it was actually OK (80's Emmy-nominated hair styles not withstanding)! There were the usual problems, like the crew acting way too late to a situation (why wait until the Tarellian ship was in transporter range of Haven before tractoring them, instead of intercepting them at the edge of the "solar" * system?), but the dialogue felt more natural than in any episode I've seen so far this season. I also loved Picard's instant trouble with Lwaxana, especially his little bow when she told him he may leave

I really wish we were all able to watch these eps together, MST3K-style, as there's too much to comment on in a post after the fact.

* I really hate it every time they use the term "solar system" when referring to alien star systems.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 08:22 PM   #554
Jeyl
Commodore

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
There were the usual problems, like the crew acting way too late to a situation (why wait until the Tarellian ship was in transporter range of Haven before tractoring them, instead of intercepting them at the edge of the "solar" * system?)
What makes that situation worse is that they not only make Picard look incredibly unprofessional, but also the crew incredibly dumb for not thinking of teh obvious.

1. Picard actually waits for this ship to get within range of the planet before he orders the Enterprise to stop it. Why? What if the Alien ship had some kind of technology that resisted the tractor beam? Gee, if only we had done it sooner.

2. Did everyone in this episode (including the lady on Haven) just completely forget that the Enterprise has a tractor beam? It's a pretty important piece of equipment that was able to defend the Enterprise from the Picard Maneuver, a maneuver that up until than had no defense.

3. Picard acts like a pompous a**hole for no reason. Tasha Yar suggests using phasers to disable the ship (I thought the tractor beam was out of commission since no one brings it up) and Picard responds with "And than, Lieutenant?". Tasha Yar can't think of an answer and Picard completely dismisses her. Hey, Picard. You know what would happen if the ship were to be disabled? It wouldn't threaten the planet and everyone would be safe. To think that Tasha doesn't say that makes the whole thing worse.

4. Picard doesn't let anyone in on his plan. Why? There's no reason why Picard The leader on Haven is almost panicking about how the Enterprise refuses to do anything and all Picard does is essentially cut her off. Why not just say "We're going to put a tractor beam on the ship and prevent it from getting into transporter range"? Picard doesn't even tell anyone on the bridge! Haven could be issuing evacuation orders.

Is this really supposed to be the "enlightened humanity" that Gene kept striving for? Apparently the road to being like angels and gods means that we can screw with everyone and not have to tell them a darn thing, even when it involves a planet wide catastrophic event.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 11:30 PM   #555
M
Vice Admiral

According to a TrekMovie tweet, that extended cut of "Measure of a Man" is now officially confirmed by CBS. Man, if they will also start to include audio commentaries (as Ira Behr's recent comment suggests), the second season blu-ray set will be even better than the first! Plus, some of my favorite episodes are in this season. I'm so looking forward to this.