Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 10 2012, 01:07 AM   #511
NewHorizon
Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Truly enjoying this season 1 set. Personally, I find season 1 to be quite solid considering they were still finding their feet. As TNG went forward, they became a little too comfortable with 'the formula'. They just played it safe too much.

The effects work is stunning of course, and I'm hopeful season 2 will maintain the same style and level of quality even though a different effects house is helping out.

I'm also surprised at how many Season 1 episodes I haven't seen. We didn't have cable when TNG aired, so I really didn't get a chance to see the show until years later on Space...and even then, they mostly played the later seasons.

Onto disk 4 tonight!!!
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 01:54 AM   #512
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Watching "Home Soil" tonight, as a Software Engineer myself, I was pleasantly surprised with all the references to programmers. Especially finding out that the only official bathroom on the ship is "the head programmer's restroom."
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 03:40 AM   #513
ATimson
Rear Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Watching "Home Soil" tonight, as a Software Engineer myself, I was pleasantly surprised with all the references to programmers. Especially finding out that the only official bathroom on the ship is "the head programmer's restroom."
It was just the "programmer's restroom", the head programmer (if any) doesn't get their own.

As a programmer myself, I'm wondering what they did to get themselves exiled!

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 04:21 AM   #514
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I could have sworn they said "head programmer," trekcore seems to agre

http://tng.trekcore.com/episodes/sea...117trivia.html

But in either case, it is an interesting line!
Old August 10 2012, 07:56 AM   #515
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've been watching the Olympics a lot so I haven't seen much of TNG lately. I did, however, watch the next two episodes tonight, Hide and Q and Haven (Audio issues and all).

Hide and Q really is one of the first Gems of the series, and probably my third favorite episode in season 1. I didn't really like the Riker giving everyone their dreams and having Geordi illogically refuse, but everything before that was great, especially seeing Stewart and De Lancie quoting Shakespeare to each other. As for the Remastered, the scenes on the planet were beautiful, even though I kind of wish they had enhanced the two moons a little more. They still look soft (If that makes any sense) and it would have been interesting to have them a little brighter.

As for Haven, this might be my least favorite episode of the season. It's just so boring and slow. The only good thing about it was the Petty bickering scene and Mr. Homn saying "Thanks for the Drinks". The reaction on everyone's faces were priceless.

So far, Haven and 11001001 are the only episodes that I've seen Audio issues for. I've already done the whole disc replacement thing so hopefully it works when the new discs get here but everything else has been fantastic. I'm still looking forward to Season 2's version of "Stardate Revisited" because while I am enjoying watching the episodes, I enjoyed that special feature a lot and am filled with anticipation on what they have for Season 2. I hope it's Writers Strike and "Why did Gates McFadden leave and what was her falling out with Muriece Hurley, who seemed like a good writer but then he left at the end of Season 2 for Mike Piller" themed

Speaking of Michael Piller, god just mentioning his name it's so sad that he passed away and won't be around in the interviews. Some of my favorite features from the DVD was Mike Piller talking about the directions of the show, North Carolina hat and all. I think his best though was on Voyager's Season 3 sets talking about Basics and why he left that show, and where he hoped Star Trek and the writers to follow would take the franchise. I know we still have Ron Moore (And maybe Ira Behr even though he hates the show and probably doesn't want to be interviewed about it), but to go in depth with Michael Piller (especially on Best of Both Worlds) would have made the entire series worth it and then some for this Blu-Ray release.

Oh well. RIP Mr. Piller.
Old August 10 2012, 08:51 AM   #516
M
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
(And maybe Ira Behr even though he hates the show and probably doesn't want to be interviewed about it)
I'm not sure where you got the hate stuff, but Trekmovie.com just reported that Ira Behr is apparently doing an audio commentary for the TNG blu-rays. [As per Twitter.]
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 08:59 AM   #517
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
(And maybe Ira Behr even though he hates the show and probably doesn't want to be interviewed about it)
I'm not sure where you got the hate stuff, but Trekmovie.com just reported that Ira Behr is apparently doing an audio commentary for the TNG blu-rays. [As per Twitter.]
Based on interviews, the front part of the DS9 companion (Page 5), and other places. Maybe hate is too strong of a word, but he didn't like his time on the show.
Old August 10 2012, 10:49 AM   #518
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I've been quite surprised by how much I've enjoyed some of these episodes. Season one, while not perfect, is much better than I remembered.
Old August 10 2012, 11:25 AM   #519
Ghostface1701
Commander

Still playing catchup (I've been distracted by the Olympics too), I watched The Last Outpost for the first time ever last night. Wow, what a waste of time. I can't believe the old story that the Ferengi were intended to be a serious threat in this show, because they were already ridiculous by the third act of this episode.

Portal could've been interesting if they'd got down to the planet earlier and given him more time to develop. Instead, he's angry for a few minutes, is easily fooled, and then becomes Riker's best bud.

Waste of time. I'm so glad DS9 finally made something interesting out of the Ferengi.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 04:28 PM   #520
Glassneedles
Ensign

Just got this email from Amazon UK. Looks like UK people are getting a whole new set. Also note how it says they are correcting a few minor issues found on other episodes.

Hello,

We're contacting you about your Amazon.co.uk order XXXXXXXXXXX, which included the following item:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 [Blu-ray][Region Free]

ASIN: B007Q1GK0A
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you ordered this product, the manufacturer has confirmed that they have discovered technical issues with Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray. There is an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to some episodes in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. In addition, the manufacturer is taking this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.

A corrected version of this product will soon be available and we are working to ensure that you receive a replacement copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray as soon as possible.

Your complimentary replacement will be dispatched to the same delivery address as that used for your original order.

No action is needed from you and there will be no charge for this replacement.

The replacement will be sent out as soon as new stock of this item is received from our supplier. We'll send you an e-mail to confirm when your replacement has been sent, and you will be able to view the status of this order via Your Account at the top of any page on our website or use the following link:
Glassneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 06:05 PM   #521
Ghostface1701
Commander

Just got the very same email from Amazon, fricking sweet! I don't have to do anything, and I automatically get another copy of the entire boxset?!

I love you, whoever made this decision!
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 06:46 PM   #522
inflatabledalek
Captain

Really enjoyed the new documentary, not a huge amount of new information (though it's certainly more honest than the old DVD features) but very well made and engaging. And getting to see all those near mythic screen tests was brilliant.

If I had to wish for something different it's that they'd also been on the disc by themselves to watch in isolation (perhaps with some galleries of design work), but otherwise a really top notch job.
Old August 10 2012, 06:50 PM   #523
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I realized last night (Actually it was right after NCC-1701 linked a Twitter link saying Ira Behr was actually going to do commentary tracks) that there was no audio commentaries to any of the episodes in the first season. Not only that, but not text commentaries either. I hope we get some as the seasons go on but this actually surprised me. It's one thing to re-release TNG with all the remastered upgrades, but I was hoping too that they would correct some of the flaws from the DVD release. They did that to an extent with the more special features and the episode previews, but hopefully we can get some audio commentary to episodes (Audio Commentary for Best of Both Worlds I would imagine would be incredible). Hopefully this is something the developers are thinking about with Seasons 2-7.
Old August 10 2012, 07:02 PM   #524
Harvey
Admiral

I liked the new documentary, but it didn't get into the nitty gritty details of the first season as much as I would have liked it to. The chaos among the production staff is really only alluded to in the third part, and the number of production personnel interviewed struck me as rather limited, especially since the entire regular cast was interviewed. Of course, many people who worked on the show in the early stages are dead, but it still seemed like they could have spoken to a few more writers. John D.F. Black was interviewed for the original series; why not talk to him about his (admittedly, limited) role here?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 07:18 PM   #525
trekker670
Fleet Captain

The producer mentioned he had to walk a fine line of making the documentary that's more honest and engaging to the audience without damaging the reputation of the show's creators and/or ruining the people's view of the show.