RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,860
Posts: 5,328,689
Members: 24,554
Currently online: 554
Newest member: Kastrol

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 8 2012, 12:43 AM   #481
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

My favorite part of "Haven" is when the actor playing Wyatt's father (you know, the former UFP president) messes up his line, "But Homm can't talk," and instead says, "But Comm...! But Homm can't talk!"
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 01:03 AM   #482
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore
 
Jeff O'Connor's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa, FL
Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

If those numbers are just the US, then it's lookin' really good.
__________________
Star Trek
1966-
Jeff O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 07:00 AM   #483
Jefferies
Captain
 
Jefferies's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

^^ I agree. If they can make almost 6 million USD in just a few days in the US alone with all the issues that came up in that first week with the audio problems etc then they will recoup their investment very soon indeed. Which means in a month or so they will be looking at pure profit. If not a lot sooner!
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 08:59 AM   #484
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just watched Symbiosis for the first time in ages and found it actually really damn GOOD.

The subject of drug addiction and the exploitation of one people by another for profit feels more timely and relevant than ever, the moral dilemma faced by Picard is a compelling one, and the arguments between him and Beverly were absolutely riveting to watch. And the fact the Omarans look for all the world like a couple of meth addicts just gives the episode a darker, edgier feel I never really noticed before.

In fact the writing overall was surprisingly intelligent, I thought.

Yeah, there's that one cheesy "drugs are bad" speech by Tasha, but even there it's kind of a shock to hear one of our wholesome TNG crew talking about how good drugs feel, and hinting pretty strongly that she was a huge addict at one time herself. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 01:12 PM   #485
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just watched Symbiosis for the first time in ages and found it actually really damn GOOD.

The subject of drug addiction and the exploitation of one people by another for profit feels more timely and relevant than ever, the moral dilemma faced by Picard is a compelling one, and the arguments between him and Beverly were absolutely riveting to watch. And the fact the Omarans look for all the world like a couple of meth addicts just gives the episode a darker, edgier feel I never really noticed before.

In fact the writing overall was surprisingly intelligent, I thought.

Yeah, there's that one cheesy "drugs are bad" speech by Tasha, but even there it's kind of a shock to hear one of our wholesome TNG crew talking about how good drugs feel, and hinting pretty strongly that she was a huge addict at one time herself. Lol
Agreed on all counts.

After rewatching season one, I found it much stronger than I remembered and it was always my favorite TNG season to begin with.

There's really only one unwatchable episode and that's Angel One.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 02:11 PM   #486
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Just watched Arsenal of Freedom, and somehow I remember it being a lot cooler when I was a kid (what with the crew being hunted by killer drones and Geordi taking command of the Enterprise). But the episode doesn't really do a whole lot with the cool premise, and the fake-looking jungle set makes it awfully hard to buy anything that's going on.

I do still really like that creepy scene with Riker's friend Captain Rice though.

And jeez, just how many different Chief Engineers did the show go through in the first season anyway? I completely forgot about that snarky asshole Logan.

I have the same feeling. I used to really like that episode but now its horrible. At the time it stood out as a bright spot out of a season 1 of a new Star Trek series I was really trying to like at the time. I have to say looking back, I don't like TNG as much as I used to, I'm more of a DS9 fan since it was more in line with the original series in portrayal of its characters. DS 9 benefitted from the addition of O'brian, and Worf.



-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 03:49 PM   #487
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just watched Symbiosis for the first time in ages and found it actually really damn GOOD.

The subject of drug addiction and the exploitation of one people by another for profit feels more timely and relevant than ever, the moral dilemma faced by Picard is a compelling one, and the arguments between him and Beverly were absolutely riveting to watch. And the fact the Omarans look for all the world like a couple of meth addicts just gives the episode a darker, edgier feel I never really noticed before.

In fact the writing overall was surprisingly intelligent, I thought.

Yeah, there's that one cheesy "drugs are bad" speech by Tasha, but even there it's kind of a shock to hear one of our wholesome TNG crew talking about how good drugs feel, and hinting pretty strongly that she was a huge addict at one time herself. Lol
Agreed. Despite the heavy-handed and corny message, I've always found the episode quietly powerful. Picard's wise decision not to get involved, and the way he told us (through Beverly) its justification was an immense change over the original Star Trek. Kirk would nearly always have found some way to intervene, but Picard resisted the natural impulse to help.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 04:21 PM   #488
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just watched Symbiosis for the first time in ages and found it actually really damn GOOD.

The subject of drug addiction and the exploitation of one people by another for profit feels more timely and relevant than ever, the moral dilemma faced by Picard is a compelling one, and the arguments between him and Beverly were absolutely riveting to watch. And the fact the Omarans look for all the world like a couple of meth addicts just gives the episode a darker, edgier feel I never really noticed before.

In fact the writing overall was surprisingly intelligent, I thought.

Yeah, there's that one cheesy "drugs are bad" speech by Tasha, but even there it's kind of a shock to hear one of our wholesome TNG crew talking about how good drugs feel, and hinting pretty strongly that she was a huge addict at one time herself. Lol
Agreed. Despite the heavy-handed and corny message, I've always found the episode quietly powerful. Picard's wise decision not to get involved, and the way he told us (through Beverly) its justification was an immense change over the original Star Trek. Kirk would nearly always have found some way to intervene, but Picard resisted the natural impulse to help.
Picard just sanctimoniously pontificates to the aliens of the week about how great humans are..lol Then find some excuse not involve himself. Pen Pals, and I Borg are two examples. Picard had a tendency to surrender an awful lot as well. At least when Kirk did it, he always had a plan b.

As a political aside...
I think TNG suffers a lot because at the time Gene was a flaming lib. Same thing happened with George and the Star Wars prequels, he sucked the whole mystical element of the force from the original trilogy right out of the series. In TNG Gene's view on Terrorism is wrong, moral equivalence was a big theme in TNG. Just compare TNG to Paradise Lost on DS9

Really, humans will not be in conflict with one another, just wipe out thousands of years of history. The original star trek was about how humans were on a constant journey to improve ourselves, we weren't perfect. TNG sort of flipped that. Gene's dictates sucked a lot of drama out of the show.


TOS, DS9 were more center right. Liberals had their say through Spock for example, but he at least made sense.


-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 05:13 PM   #489
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Agreed. Despite the heavy-handed and corny message, I've always found the episode quietly powerful. Picard's wise decision not to get involved, and the way he told us (through Beverly) its justification was an immense change over the original Star Trek. Kirk would nearly always have found some way to intervene, but Picard resisted the natural impulse to help.
That being said, I don't think it would have hurt a whole lot for Picard to at least inform the two Omarans that they were being exploited and that their "disease" was really a drug addiction.

They probably wouldn't have cared or done anything about it, but at least it would have been something.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 05:30 PM   #490
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
There's really only one unwatchable episode and that's Angel One.
I have it on good authority a certain Mistress Beata is most displeased with this assertion - especially as it comes from, a man!
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 05:35 PM   #491
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Agreed. Despite the heavy-handed and corny message, I've always found the episode quietly powerful. Picard's wise decision not to get involved, and the way he told us (through Beverly) its justification was an immense change over the original Star Trek. Kirk would nearly always have found some way to intervene, but Picard resisted the natural impulse to help.
That being said, I don't think it would have hurt a whole lot for Picard to at least inform the two Omarans that they were being exploited and that their "disease" was really a drug addiction.

They probably wouldn't have cared or done anything about it, but at least it would have been something.
Well, I think Picard does throw a monkey wrench in the long-term relationship by refusing to give over the coils to fix the obsolete freighters.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 05:35 PM   #492
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
There's really only one unwatchable episode and that's Angel One.
I have it on good authority a certain Mistress Beata is most displeased with this assertion - especially as it comes from, a man!
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 06:42 PM   #493
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Terrific sales data...it beat a newly released movie and also recouped half the first season's cost in just a few days.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 07:33 PM   #494
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just watched Symbiosis for the first time in ages and found it actually really damn GOOD.

The subject of drug addiction and the exploitation of one people by another for profit feels more timely and relevant than ever, the moral dilemma faced by Picard is a compelling one, and the arguments between him and Beverly were absolutely riveting to watch. And the fact the Omarans look for all the world like a couple of meth addicts just gives the episode a darker, edgier feel I never really noticed before.

In fact the writing overall was surprisingly intelligent, I thought.

Yeah, there's that one cheesy "drugs are bad" speech by Tasha, but even there it's kind of a shock to hear one of our wholesome TNG crew talking about how good drugs feel, and hinting pretty strongly that she was a huge addict at one time herself. Lol
Agreed on all counts.

After rewatching season one, I found it much stronger than I remembered and it was always my favorite TNG season to begin with.

There's really only one unwatchable episode and that's Angel One.
That “cheesy speech” wasn’t intended for you. It was intended for the 15-year-old on the bridge and even more for the 15-year-olds in the audience.

Denise Crosby unexpectedly manages to pull it off without making me want to muzzle her. Rewatching the season, I’ve noticed that her acting becomes less cringeworthy as the season progresses, and in Symbiosis she’s legitimately a competent actress. There’s nothing really horrible from her in the episode, and there are even a few moments where she rises above merely competent. For example, I like the way she delivers “Behave yourselves, gentlemen.”

This is one of my favorite S1 episodes... which isn’t saying much. The writing is smart and Stewart is in fine form. It’s nice to see Judson Scott and Merritt Butrick too.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 07:57 PM   #495
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

captrek wrote: View Post
That “cheesy speech” wasn’t intended for you. It was intended for the 15-year-old on the bridge and even more for the 15-year-olds in the audience.

Denise Crosby unexpectedly manages to pull it off without making me want to muzzle her. Rewatching the season, I’ve noticed that her acting becomes less cringeworthy as the season progresses, and in Symbiosis she’s legitimately a competent actress. There’s nothing really horrible from her in the episode, and there are even a few moments where she rises above merely competent. For example, I like the way she delivers “Behave yourselves, gentlemen.”
Yeah I thought she delivered it about as well as anyone could have. And it's probably the way you would have to explain it to a kid from their more evolved time who's never encountered drug use before.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.