Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 6 2012, 09:51 PM   #451
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Old August 6 2012, 11:12 PM   #452
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Well, they might not have put the Abramsprise into "The naked now"-remastered, but here is a look at some of the other mistakes/bloopers that were fixed that not everybody might have noticed, yet. This includes visible camera/lighting equipment, visible studio ceilings, a previously visible flowerpot in the middle of a jungle and some other nice surprises. :-)

Here's the article at EAS:

Notable changes in TNG Remastered
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 11:43 PM   #453
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, very cool. Didn't realize they had touched up so many little errors like that. Although to me the coolest is still the new holodeck shot in Farpoint. The new version just looks about a million times more real and believable than the static old one.

And is it just me, or does that look like a completely different woman in the HD shot of Haven vs the SD?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 12:11 AM   #454
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
And is it just me, or does that look like a completely different woman in the HD shot of Haven vs the SD?
Same woman, just roughly four times the resolution.
Old August 7 2012, 12:11 AM   #455
mswood
Rear Admiral

Don't see this mentioned. Per Homemediamagazine, Season one is the 4th best selling Blu - Ray of its release week.

They don't provide sales figures just percentage versus the top Selling release.

Thenumbers also reports this, 4th place.

The say 95,435 units sold for 5.725 million in sales.
Old August 7 2012, 12:13 AM   #456
M
Vice Admiral

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
Well, they might not have put the Abramsprise into "The naked now"-remastered, but here is a look at some of the other mistakes/bloopers that were fixed that not everybody might have noticed, yet. This includes visible camera/lighting equipment, visible studio ceilings, a previously visible flowerpot in the middle of a jungle and some other nice surprises. :-)

Thanks for that. Some of these I can understand, but why did they have to cut out the hand taking the glass in "Angel One"? This has always been one of my favorite bloopers. (Almost as hilarious as McCoy shoving away Kirk's accidentally dropped phaser in "Space Seed". )
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 01:00 AM   #457
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

mswood wrote: View Post
Don't see this mentioned. Per Homemediamagazine, Season one is the 4th best selling Blu - Ray of its release week.

They don't provide sales figures just percentage versus the top Selling release.

Thenumbers also reports this, 4th place.

The say 95,435 units sold for 5.725 million in sales.
Pretty solid sales figures... considering S1 is one of the least liked. I'd say they're well on their way to recouping that $9 million they put into it, even subtracting the cost of the disc replacement program (if every single consumer participated, it would cost them about $2 per disc, so about $572,610). But I doubt everyone is even aware of the problem.

Here's hoping they recognize that pricing the sets below $60 will make them more money in the long run.
Old August 7 2012, 02:01 AM   #458
davejames
Vice Admiral

And that's just for the first week. There's still probably a ton of people who haven't picked one up yet, but are planning to.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 02:15 AM   #459
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
And that's just for the first week. There's still probably a ton of people who haven't picked one up yet, but are planning to.
Shows that a healthy market exists for Trek done right.
Old August 7 2012, 04:16 AM   #460
mswood
Rear Admiral

Actually its only part of the week. And its one of the better performances of TV shows on BluRay's even for new shows.

Interesting side, the releases in 1st-3rd all did have the full week (ie not new releases) to have sales.

BAsed on my tracking of sales for various shows expect 4 times that to be purchased this year. Too bad all teh money doesn't cover the upgrade cost, but still not bad at all.
Old August 7 2012, 04:59 AM   #461
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post

Great link. Thanks
Old August 7 2012, 05:12 AM   #462
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Pretty solid sales figures... considering S1 is one of the least liked. I'd say they're well on their way to recouping that $9 million they put into it, even subtracting the cost of the disc replacement program (if every single consumer participated, it would cost them about $2 per disc, so about $572,610). But I doubt everyone is even aware of the problem.

Here's hoping they recognize that pricing the sets below $60 will make them more money in the long run.
Agreed. The MSRP should have started at $59.95, but Paramount will never learn. They expect fans to shell out the coin despite the economy. At $60 its a good selling point... not so much at $100+
Old August 7 2012, 01:28 PM   #463
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
Agreed. The MSRP should have started at $59.95, but Paramount will never learn. They expect fans to shell out the coin despite the economy. At $60 its a good selling point... not so much at $100+
Why should it? It's obviously selling well enough at its current price point, and Paramount's making an extra $20 per copy that they wouldn't have at the lower MSRP.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 02:39 PM   #464
Mott the barber
Commodore

I just watched "The Last Outpost" last night and I think I spotted something that wasn't caught in the EAS article. There are a few shots when coming back from commercial break a bit a ways into the episode where we see the viewscreen from Tasha's position behind the railing with the Marauder on the screen. If you look down on the right side of the screen near the emergency turbolift you can see some sort of leg that is part of the studio equipment!

Check it out!
Old August 7 2012, 02:55 PM   #465
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

I was going to hold off and wait to buy the blu-ray, but I couldn't resist. The price came down on amazon so I had to buy it and it does look amazing! I'm really happy with it, except for one thing (besides the audio issues), I really wish CBS would have left the old Paramount A Viacom Company logo at the end of the episode credits. And then add the new CBS logo. I know it sounds nitpicky, but it's something I really like to see with old shows. I have the Dennis the Menace series on DVD and love to see that old Screen Gems logo. Heck, even the Brady Bunch DVDs kept the old Paramount A Gulf + Western logo.
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote