Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 3 2012, 11:42 PM   #391
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Yeah but from the angle the Klingon was shooting from (the hallway) the beam would have been coming from the center of the screen anyway. So we wouldn't really have seen much.

And the whole thing plays so fast you barely even notice it anyway. Unless of course you're actively looking for the beam.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 11:59 PM   #392
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah but from the angle the Klingon was shooting from (the hallway) the beam would have been coming from the center of the screen anyway. So we wouldn't really have seen much.
The beam would only have come from the center of the screen if the shot was supposed to be Korris's POV -- which it isn't. It's filmed off to the right of the 180° axis (the imaginary line between the two characters). Take note of the guard's eyeline just before the charge goes off -- he's not looking directly at the screen, he's looking to screen left, and therefore the beam should be seen coming from screen left and make contact with his body.

davejames wrote: View Post
And the whole thing plays so fast you barely even notice it anyway. Unless of course you're actively looking for the beam.
I have no argument with you there -- I didn't even catch it on my initial watch.
Old August 4 2012, 03:31 AM   #393
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

"Too Short a Season" is a... tough episode to get through. I've never been a real big fan of it With all due respect to the makeup artists the "old age" makeup doesn't work in this episode. I don't think it really starts getting "good" until Jameson is aged to a young man (and then his "acting in pain" shtick gets to be a bit much) then parts of the episode almost begin feeling like a decent TOS episode.

In the Blu-Ray you can easily see the "seams" where the pyrotechnics are on the wall the away team will cut out for a pass-through.

Question: Has the "strobing" concentric circles/arcs always been there for a phaser hit? They seem more "obvious" now on the BD and sort-of hokey looking.
Old August 4 2012, 04:16 AM   #394
davejames
Vice Admiral

Home Soil isn't so great either. I realize we're supposed to be caught up in the awe and wonder of this "amazing new form of life" they discovered... but it basically looks like they're just staring at a couple of flashing LEDs the entire time. Lol
Old August 4 2012, 04:24 AM   #395
MrLethalWeapon
Ensign

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Question: Has the "strobing" concentric circles/arcs always been there for a phaser hit? They seem more "obvious" now on the BD and sort-of hokey looking.
In "The Last Outpost" the Ferengi whips had a similar effect. When Geordi was hit, the circles/waves took down Data and Riker too.
MrLethalWeapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 04:31 AM   #396
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I like Homesoil overall but, yeah, the depiction of the silicone entity doesn't translate well. Neither the blinking Christmas lights nor the giant novelty quartz crystal someone bought from their recent trip to a tourist cave.

Not sure how else they could have pulled it off, but...

I do like how it shows how overly concerned Federation and human scientists are with disturbing life on alien planets. The female terraforming scientist is touchingly upset that they may have disturbed a indigenous life and even the head of the operation seems bothered by the idea once it becomes clear the "Microbrain" is not only life but sentient and even intelligent life. (This in contrast to how Dr. Stubbs behaves in a similar situation in Season 3's "Evolution.")

It's interesting that this episode also suggests the terraforming techniques is a decades or century(ies)-long process when only 70-some years ago in Star Trek II techniques were developed to do it in minutes. (Genesis) Granted, Genesis was a flop due to use of protomatter but "realistically" you'd think the ideas would have been refined and better used in the intervening time to make a more stable device.

But I prefer the long, painstaking, terraforming method here as opposed to the magical McGuffin method suggested by TWK.

One buggy thing is how easily Dr. Crusher was able to, through the computer, determine that the unknown sample they had was a lifeform. Even with all of the computer's mad skillz you'd think determining something is life or not would be harder than asking the computer a few easy questions and getting IT to speculate and theorize on the sample.

I also enjoy Data's agreement with the Microbrain that "ugly bags of mostly water" is an apt description of humanoid life.

Also, everyone seems amazed at how the Microbrain is a non-organic (crystalline?) lifeform. Aren't the Tholians a non-organic, crystalline, lifeform?
Old August 4 2012, 04:32 AM   #397
GNDN
Commodore

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but apparently another model shot of the Enterprise-D, which was still missing in "Encounter at Farpoint", has been found. The shot is seen in "11001001". Here's a comparison between the reconstructed CG version (from the teaser disk) and the original model shot (seen in "11001001":

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/138777

Screenshots courtesy of trekcore.com.
Man, the 6 footer is so graceful and much nicer to look at especially when lit so well
Old August 4 2012, 04:39 AM   #398
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

GNDN wrote: View Post
gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but apparently another model shot of the Enterprise-D, which was still missing in "Encounter at Farpoint", has been found. The shot is seen in "11001001". Here's a comparison between the reconstructed CG version (from the teaser disk) and the original model shot (seen in "11001001":

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/138777

Screenshots courtesy of trekcore.com.
Man, the 6 footer is so graceful and much nicer to look at especially when lit so well
The remastered image is using the CGI model of the ship. (You can tell because of the two black boxes on the thruster quads (the orange doohickeys at certain points of the ship.) But, agreed, the 6-footer is a great, great model and really they should (but likely won't) replace all shots using the clunky-looking 4-footer with the 6-foot model/CGI model.
Old August 4 2012, 04:49 AM   #399
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ This is a comparison of two images from the remaster. The first pic is of the CGI replacement in EaF, the second pic is of the original model shot they later rediscovered (but did not insert into EaF for some reason).
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 04:58 AM   #400
davejames
Vice Admiral

One buggy thing is how easily Dr. Crusher was able to, through the computer, determine that the unknown sample they had was a lifeform. Even with all of the computer's mad skillz you'd think determining something is life or not would be harder than asking the computer a few easy questions and getting IT to speculate and theorize on the sample.
Yeah I thought that was funny as well. All this talk about using the "scientific method", and all she really does is ask the computer to zoom in a few times and theorize about what they're looking at.

You also gotta love the scientist with the bad 80s mullet who looks like he should really be drinking some beers on a porch somewhere.
Old August 4 2012, 09:54 AM   #401
Austin 3:16
Commander

Does anyone know if they are going to put all of these HD episodes on Netflix instant streaming?
Austin 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 12:33 PM   #402
MickJo1701
Commander

Sho wrote: View Post
^ This is a comparison of two images from the remaster. The first pic is of the CGI replacement in EaF, the second pic is of the original model shot they later rediscovered (but did not insert into EaF for some reason).
Maybe they were discovered after the Farpoint and Code of Honour had been signed off as completed, we know they rushed to meet the deadline. It's a real shame though, reminds me to a far lesser degree of the first few episodes of TOSR with the first Enterprise model.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 03:08 PM   #403
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if they are going to put all of these HD episodes on Netflix instant streaming?
There's been no official announcement that they will.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do, but certainly not this soon after the disc release (they want to recoup their costs) - and they might be waiting until the entire series is done.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 03:12 PM   #404
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
There's been no official announcement that they will.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do, but certainly not this soon after the disc release (they want to recoup their costs) - and they might be waiting until the entire series is done.
They'll probably want to sell them in syndication as well for a couple years before releasing them for streaming. Unless Netflix is willing to make a substantial outlay to stream them simultaneously.
Old August 4 2012, 07:52 PM   #405
MikeS
Fleet Captain

They have (in the first season anyway). And I agree with you.