Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 3 2012, 04:44 PM   #361
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Just bought my S1 set. Should be getting it tomorrow.

Can't wait to see "Where no one has gone before" (Possibly the greatest TNG episode ever) in full glorious HD!
Make sure you put in for your replacement discs.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 04:55 PM   #362
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but apparently another model shot of the Enterprise-D, which was still missing in "Encounter at Farpoint", has been found. The shot is seen in "11001001". Here's a comparison between the reconstructed CG version (from the teaser disk) and the original model shot (seen in "11001001":

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/138777

Screenshots courtesy of trekcore.com.
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 05:11 PM   #363
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post

I was wondering who designs and builds the beautiful buildings, maintains the gardens, etc. Everyone we saw was partying. But, obviously (like we only saw the militaristic Klingons) there are other members of society who are productive.
I wonder if the Edo "God" was taking care of their needs, I don't recall any geriatric Edo being around either?

Though that doesn't really add up because someone would've had to lay down the plants and white boundaries Wes tripped into.
I stupidly forgot about the "God", who could easily have taken care of everything, including moving the white boundaries around.

However, why did you mention "geriatric" Edo? Would they be the only ones too tired to party, and thus willing to do the work?

There was actually a white-haired woman in several scenes, but she had no lines. Presumably, she was hanging around with the partiers (sp?)...
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 05:13 PM   #364
cbspock
Rear Admiral

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Not S1 or really the BD, but since there's no general BD thread... I'm planning to watch some episodes of S2 today just to sort of see the difference to expect and, wow, just watching the first few minutes of "The Child" and it's just... WOW. This looks like utter crap!

I agree, for years I have been wondering why the TNG DVD's look so horrible, muddier even than the day they aired on WPIX here in NY

Loving S1 on bluray, watched some last night with friends who were new to the project and they were absolutely impressed. One said 'it's like putting glasses on for the first time'!
HAHA I used to watch them on WPIX in NY when they were on as well.lol

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 05:14 PM   #365
cbspock
Rear Admiral

BriGuy wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Just bought my S1 set. Should be getting it tomorrow.

Can't wait to see "Where no one has gone before" (Possibly the greatest TNG episode ever) in full glorious HD!
Make sure you put in for your replacement discs.
I have yet to get confirmation that they received my email with the information requested to get replacements

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 05:22 PM   #366
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

However, why did you mention "geriatric" Edo? Would they be the only ones too tired to party, and thus willing to do the work?

There was actually a white-haired woman in several scenes, but she had no lines. Presumably, she was hanging around with the partiers (sp?)...
I was thinking along the lines of them all seeming so young and fit that maybe their "God" was taking care of their health. I completely missed the white haired woman.

They kinda reminded me of the worshippers of Vaal from "The Apple".
Old August 3 2012, 05:28 PM   #367
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

I was thinking along the lines of them all seeming so young and fit that maybe their "God" was taking care of their health. I completely missed the white haired woman.

They kinda reminded me of the worshippers of Vaal from "The Apple".
The crew didn't get a chance to explore enough to realize the Edo live in a great dome city. They are all required to sacrifice themselves upon reaching the age of 30, when they are given the opportunity to be reborn...

All this is sounding vaguely familiar...
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 05:45 PM   #368
Jeyl
Commodore

BriGuy wrote: View Post
To me, it seems to kind of point to belief in or support of "fate" or "destiny," that she was supposed to die there, then, and it would have been wrong to undo that.
I'm sure the parents would totally agree.

Mother: Why won't you bring her back?

Riker: It is our duty as Federation officers to save lives, not bring them back.

Mother: But people have been declared dead many times in the past and were brought back to life. Even Bones and Spock died and were brought back and no one said they should have remained dead.

Riker: Listen lady. Do you have any idea what this power can do? If I bring your daughter back, I will become so corrupted that I will declare everyone around me inferior and kill anyone who disagrees with me!

Mother: ....Were you always that kind of a person?

Riker: Me? No! I hate death! But the point is that your daughter is dead and it's best to leave it that way. Look on the bright side. Your daughter died to help build my character.

I wonder if there's any parent alive who, if given the chance would want their lost child brought back. No cost, no strings attached. Just some guy who got god like powers and wants to help.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 05:46 PM   #369
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Stardate revisited was an interesting documentary on the series so far. I cant wait to see what they go into with Season 2. It sounded like the back office was in chaos for a while because Gene was an idiot.

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 05:51 PM   #370
BillJ
Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
Stardate revisited was an interesting documentary on the series so far. I cant wait to see what they go into with Season 2. It sounded like the back office was in chaos for a while because Gene was an idiot.

-Chris
Well, Gene was in declining health the chaos was more due to his attorney working on his behalf.
Old August 3 2012, 06:00 PM   #371
Captrek
Rear Admiral

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but apparently another model shot of the Enterprise-D, which was still missing in "Encounter at Farpoint", has been found. The shot is seen in "11001001". Here's a comparison between the reconstructed CG version (from the teaser disk) and the original model shot (seen in "11001001":

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/138777

Screenshots courtesy of trekcore.com.
The warp streaks are at a funny angle in the second one.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 06:19 PM   #372
cbspock
Rear Admiral

-Chris
Well, Gene was in declining health the chaos was more due to his attorney working on his behalf.

He needed another Gene Coon to run TNG, but didn't have one.

-Chris
Old August 3 2012, 06:22 PM   #373
BillJ
Admiral

-Chris

He needed another Gene Coon to run TNG, but didn't have one.

-Chris
He should've had more faith in Bob Justman to run the show. I don't know how he made that same mistake twice.
Old August 3 2012, 06:44 PM   #374
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

-Chris
I always hear about this, but I was wondering what kind of declining health. Was it just old age and senility or was it something more?
Old August 3 2012, 06:59 PM   #375
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well in his son's TrekNation doc from a few months back, we saw footage of him appearing forgetful during an interview. Not sure what the cause was, though.

To be fair though, with or without Gene it was probably going to take some time to iron things out with TNG. Launching an entirely new Star Trek series with a whole new cast would have been a huge, daunting task for anyone.

The fact we got as many great episodes in that first season as we DID is kind of amazing, if you ask me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote