RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,887
Posts: 5,386,682
Members: 24,715
Currently online: 421
Newest member: Noga74

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 31 2012, 05:50 PM   #286
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The first 2:25 of the 7.1 DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, when heard mixed down to 2.0 on TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
I haven't seen the above 2 episodes yet, but I watched Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue in about the first 1/3 of the show is very boxy. Music and effects sound fine. Because this episode is on disc 2, it won't be fixed.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 06:15 PM   #287
digger
Lieutenant Commander
 
digger's Avatar
 
Location: Philly, PA USA
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

“Encounter at Farpoint” has the dialogue unbalanced in the center and front right channels. The left channel is correct (no dialogue).

The other episodes, “Hide and Q”, “Haven”, “The Big Goodbye” and “Datalore” on disc 3... and “11001001″ and “Too Short a Season” on disc 4 have the dialogue spread equally across the entire front soundstage (L, C, R) and thus a problem is hard to perceive unless you walk up to the speaker(s) and notice that dialogue is present.

The dialogue is loud and clear in the left and right channels in the aforementioned episodes. The rest of the season's episodes have proper 7.1 mixes (i.e. dialogue in center channel only).

The first 2:25 of the 7.1 DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, when heard mixed down to 2.0 on TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, Maxwell.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 08:16 PM   #288
Chris2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The first 2:25 of the 7.1 DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, when heard mixed down to 2.0 on TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
I haven't seen the above 2 episodes yet, but I watched Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue in about the first 1/3 of the show is very boxy. Music and effects sound fine. Because this episode is on disc 2, it won't be fixed.
I hadn't noticed anything in that episode...

However, here is information for those seeking replacement discs:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/#audioprobs
__________________
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CJCA915
Chris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 08:30 PM   #289
MickJo1701
Commander
 
MickJo1701's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Any word on R2 replacements?
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 08:33 PM   #290
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Instructions are forthcoming.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 10:22 PM   #291
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The first 2:25 of the 7.1 DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, when heard mixed down to 2.0 on TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
I haven't seen the above 2 episodes yet, but I watched Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue in about the first 1/3 of the show is very boxy. Music and effects sound fine. Because this episode is on disc 2, it won't be fixed.
Okay, I just watched the first 15 minutes of "Lonely Among Us" again, this time connected directly to an HDTV so I could listen to it through it's speakers and I do not hear a problem -- at least not anything beyond typical set acoustics and deficiencies with the original magnetic audio tape.

Since I already confirmed this episode does not have the dialogue duplicated in the left and right channels on my full 7.1 system, I consider this episode fine... it sounds as it's supposed to, anyway.

It gets my seal of approval (whatever that's worth ).
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 10:32 PM   #292
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Maxwell'd.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 12:27 AM   #293
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I watched 3 more episodes last night so some thoughts on those:

-The Last Outpost really does bring out the worst in TNG sometimes. I remember when I first came to these boards (More than 10 years ago), one common complaint was the Enterprise Crew talking down to the aliens they meet saying they are not civilized. That's pretty much what happens here. I'm glad they calmed that down in the later seasons, but what right does Riker have to judge the Ferangi.

-Where No One looks stunning in HD. Loved what they did with that episode.

-This isn't one of the discs being replaced but did anyone notice an Echo when Picard revealed himself to be the alien? It was in the ready room with Crusher near the end of the episode. Also, maybe I just didn't notice this on the DVDs but it looked like when the Enterprise goes to Warp back to the cloud, we don't get the entire warping effect (That diamond special effect mostly) and the screen actually cuts to black for a brief moment. Again, not major issues, and those are stuff I can live with, but it seemed a little weird.

I honestly can't wait till the "new uniform" seasons are on Blu Ray. I guess having just seen Season 1 (And even Shades of Gray like 2 months ago, I find myself wanting to pop in a DVD from Season 5 (Or last night after Where No One, see Remember Me). Still, this has been a great purchase and looking forward to the fixed discs.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 01:47 AM   #294
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The first 2:25 of the 7.1 DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, when heard mixed down to 2.0 on TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
I haven't seen the above 2 episodes yet, but I watched Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue in about the first 1/3 of the show is very boxy. Music and effects sound fine. Because this episode is on disc 2, it won't be fixed.
Okay, I just watched the first 15 minutes of "Lonely Among Us" again, this time connected directly to an HDTV so I could listen to it through it's speakers and I do not hear a problem -- at least not anything beyond typical set acoustics and deficiencies with the original magnetic audio tape.

Since I already confirmed this episode does not have the dialogue duplicated in the left and right channels on my full 7.1 system, I consider this episode fine... it sounds as it's supposed to, anyway.

It gets my seal of approval (whatever that's worth ).
I already thanked you for responding to my similar post over at AVS Forum, but wanted to thank you again for the detective work you did. I also listened to the right speaker to confirm that the episode only had dialogue from the center channel.

I only know that it sounded bad to me. I've also watched Naked and Where No Man using the surround sound, and the dialogue definitely sounded dodgy to me on Lonely, but perhaps that's the way it was recorded. Thanks again.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 06:38 AM   #295
Chris2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I watched 3 more episodes last night so some thoughts on those:

-The Last Outpost really does bring out the worst in TNG sometimes. I remember when I first came to these boards (More than 10 years ago), one common complaint was the Enterprise Crew talking down to the aliens they meet saying they are not civilized. That's pretty much what happens here. I'm glad they calmed that down in the later seasons, but what right does Riker have to judge the Ferangi.
The same reason, humans are judged among humans, for their pros and cons... however, the Ferengi did act rather immature in "The Last Outpost," they had more composure in "The Battle."

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
-Where No One looks stunning in HD. Loved what they did with that episode.
Agreed.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
-This isn't one of the discs being replaced but did anyone notice an Echo when Picard revealed himself to be the alien? It was in the ready room with Crusher near the end of the episode. Also, maybe I just didn't notice this on the DVDs but it looked like when the Enterprise goes to Warp back to the cloud, we don't get the entire warping effect (That diamond special effect mostly) and the screen actually cuts to black for a brief moment. Again, not major issues, and those are stuff I can live with, but it seemed a little weird.
The echo was in the DVD version as well, so I don't think it's a problem.

As for the warping, I think we cut back to the dialogue before that effect starts... they did add it in "Where No One Has Gone Before" though.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I honestly can't wait till the "new uniform" seasons are on Blu Ray. I guess having just seen Season 1 (And even Shades of Gray like 2 months ago, I find myself wanting to pop in a DVD from Season 5 (Or last night after Where No One, see Remember Me). Still, this has been a great purchase and looking forward to the fixed discs.
If you got the sampler back in January, they had 2 episodes, one from Season 3, and one from 5... when they had the shoulder padded uniforms...

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post

I haven't seen the above 2 episodes yet, but I watched Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue in about the first 1/3 of the show is very boxy. Music and effects sound fine. Because this episode is on disc 2, it won't be fixed.
Okay, I just watched the first 15 minutes of "Lonely Among Us" again, this time connected directly to an HDTV so I could listen to it through it's speakers and I do not hear a problem -- at least not anything beyond typical set acoustics and deficiencies with the original magnetic audio tape.

Since I already confirmed this episode does not have the dialogue duplicated in the left and right channels on my full 7.1 system, I consider this episode fine... it sounds as it's supposed to, anyway.

It gets my seal of approval (whatever that's worth ).
I already thanked you for responding to my similar post over at AVS Forum, but wanted to thank you again for the detective work you did. I also listened to the right speaker to confirm that the episode only had dialogue from the center channel.

I only know that it sounded bad to me. I've also watched Naked and Where No Man using the surround sound, and the dialogue definitely sounded dodgy to me on Lonely, but perhaps that's the way it was recorded. Thanks again.
Hadn't noticed any audio problems in "The Naked Now" or "Where No One Has Gone Before," I've only noticed audio issues in the episodes that have been mentioned, like "11001001," "Haven," etc.
__________________
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CJCA915
Chris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 03:37 PM   #296
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Chris2005 wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post
I only know that it sounded bad to me. I've also watched Naked and Where No Man using the surround sound, and the dialogue definitely sounded dodgy to me on Lonely, but perhaps that's the way it was recorded. Thanks again.
Hadn't noticed any audio problems in "The Naked Now" or "Where No One Has Gone Before," I've only noticed audio issues in the episodes that have been mentioned, like "11001001," "Haven," etc.
I can see that my post above was vaguely worded. I meant that Naked and Where No Man sounded fine in 5.1, and that I think the dialogue in Lonely sounds bad by comparison.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 03:48 PM   #297
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I noticed EAS has their "Code of Honor" comparison up:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ob...odeofhonor.htm
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:14 PM   #298
senten
Ensign
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
-This isn't one of the discs being replaced but did anyone notice an Echo when Picard revealed himself to be the alien? It was in the ready room with Crusher near the end of the episode.
I think this is an intended effect on his voice to show that it's not the real Picard speaking any more.
senten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:15 PM   #299
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I think I'll be waiting for the Complete Series set. By then all the errors and kinks will be fixed, and maybe even the SD-upconverted shots, too.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 05:44 PM   #300
Patrick O'Brien
Captain
 
Patrick O'Brien's Avatar
 
Location: Brooklyn NY
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I noticed EAS has their "Code of Honor" comparison up:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ob...odeofhonor.htm
Great link They did a nice job with the comparison.
__________________
The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Patrick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.