RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 551
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2012, 05:12 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

^ Good call.
Old July 24 2012, 05:24 PM   #32
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Having just watched an ENT episode, I'm reminded of Dominic Keating. What role, if any, would he be good at here?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 05:30 PM   #33
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ None of them.
Old July 24 2012, 07:51 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

i Always thought Alan Tudyk would be great for Dorian in S4, especially if the story was changed slightly to keep Dorian for awhile

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 08:37 PM   #35
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I think they'd be wisest to cast people who generally aren't associated with space opera shows. Would nuBSG's Adama have been as interesting had he been played by someone we'd already seen doing the space commander thing? Would nuDoctor Who have been as compelling with Patrick Stewart in the lead?

Personally, I've always thought that, for example, the various Stargate shows have looked very generic because of their tendency to cast in major roles actors from other space shows. True, they're not the only one to do so - nuBSG had Michelle Forbes, Richard Hatch and Nana Visitor among others - but few, if any, in the lead roles.
Old July 24 2012, 09:13 PM   #36
DWF
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Personally, I've always thought that, for example, the various Stargate shows have looked very generic because of their tendency to cast in major roles actors from other space shows. True, they're not the only one to do so - nuBSG had Michelle Forbes, Richard Hatch and Nana Visitor among others - but few, if any, in the lead roles.
Why would casting actors from other sci-fi shows make the Stargate series look generic? There's plenty of other shows that do the same thing. And outside of Jewel Straite I can't think of another lead actor on a Stargate who was one of the leads on another sci-fi show.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:17 PM   #37
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ They had two of the Farscape crew as leads in SG: Atlantis (Ben Browder and Claudia Black). And frequent guest appearances from various Trek actors - Connor Trineer, Robert Picardo, Colm Meaney and others. To me, this was another reason why it just didn't stand out from the crowd. It just felt like a get-together from other shows. Purely IMHO.
Old July 24 2012, 09:25 PM   #38
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I think if you're going to say Stargate had a generic look it was more to do with the cast of Canadian actors who show up in every show from Smallville to BSG and Eureka.
Old July 24 2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I think they'd be wisest to cast people who generally aren't associated with space opera shows. Would nuBSG's Adama have been as interesting had he been played by someone we'd already seen doing the space commander thing? Would nuDoctor Who have been as compelling with Patrick Stewart in the lead?

Nana Visitor was never on BSG. Richard Hatch's inclusion was meant as an hoomage ot the original.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:49 PM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yes Nana was.

If you want to call some one a liar, waste a couple seconds to look up your facts to make sure that you don't get egg on your face. it's the least you can do because manners cost nothing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993928/fullcredits#cast

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:14 PM   #41
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

^ They had two of the Farscape crew as leads in SG: Atlantis (Ben Browder and Claudia Black). And frequent guest appearances from various Trek actors - Connor Trineer, Robert Picardo, Colm Meaney and others. To me, this was another reason why it just didn't stand out from the crowd. It just felt like a get-together from other shows. Purely IMHO.
Actually Ben Browder and Claudia Black were the last seasons of SG1, rather than in Atlantis

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:20 PM   #42
Starkers
Admiral

^ Good call.
That's a very good call.

Plus Phlox, T'Pol, MArina Sirtis, the list goes on. I do find it jarring at times. It's like Mark bleeding Sheppard. I do genuinely quite like the guy, but never mind the Nation Estate and the Daleks, that guy seems to be contractually obliged to be in every sci-fi show.

Might as well make him Travis now...

And chalk me up as someone else who finds the sci-fi actor interchangability on some shows a bit anoying. And really Monica B really needs to play something other than the evil short haired woman!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:22 PM   #43
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Starkers wrote: View Post
^ Good call.
That's a very good call.

And chalk me up as someone else who finds the sci-fi actor interchangability on some shows a bit anoying. And really Monica B really needs to play something other than the evil short haired woman!
She was short haired but not evil in Homeland.
Old July 24 2012, 10:39 PM   #44
Starkers
Admiral

What she broke the cycle when I wasn't looking? Damn!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:46 PM   #45
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Starkers wrote: View Post
What she broke the cycle when I wasn't looking? Damn!
Just finished watching the first season today. Didn't think it was quite worth the rave reviews it was getting, but well worth checking out.