RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Posts: 5,430,069
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 551
Newest member: ragster


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 24 2012, 05:12 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

^ Good call.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 05:24 PM   #32
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Having just watched an ENT episode, I'm reminded of Dominic Keating. What role, if any, would he be good at here?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 05:30 PM   #33
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

^ None of them.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 07:51 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

i Always thought Alan Tudyk would be great for Dorian in S4, especially if the story was changed slightly to keep Dorian for awhile
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 08:37 PM   #35
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

I think they'd be wisest to cast people who generally aren't associated with space opera shows. Would nuBSG's Adama have been as interesting had he been played by someone we'd already seen doing the space commander thing? Would nuDoctor Who have been as compelling with Patrick Stewart in the lead?

Personally, I've always thought that, for example, the various Stargate shows have looked very generic because of their tendency to cast in major roles actors from other space shows. True, they're not the only one to do so - nuBSG had Michelle Forbes, Richard Hatch and Nana Visitor among others - but few, if any, in the lead roles.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:13 PM   #36
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Personally, I've always thought that, for example, the various Stargate shows have looked very generic because of their tendency to cast in major roles actors from other space shows. True, they're not the only one to do so - nuBSG had Michelle Forbes, Richard Hatch and Nana Visitor among others - but few, if any, in the lead roles.
Why would casting actors from other sci-fi shows make the Stargate series look generic? There's plenty of other shows that do the same thing. And outside of Jewel Straite I can't think of another lead actor on a Stargate who was one of the leads on another sci-fi show.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:17 PM   #37
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

^ They had two of the Farscape crew as leads in SG: Atlantis (Ben Browder and Claudia Black). And frequent guest appearances from various Trek actors - Connor Trineer, Robert Picardo, Colm Meaney and others. To me, this was another reason why it just didn't stand out from the crowd. It just felt like a get-together from other shows. Purely IMHO.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:25 PM   #38
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

I think if you're going to say Stargate had a generic look it was more to do with the cast of Canadian actors who show up in every show from Smallville to BSG and Eureka.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think they'd be wisest to cast people who generally aren't associated with space opera shows. Would nuBSG's Adama have been as interesting had he been played by someone we'd already seen doing the space commander thing? Would nuDoctor Who have been as compelling with Patrick Stewart in the lead?

Personally, I've always thought that, for example, the various Stargate shows have looked very generic because of their tendency to cast in major roles actors from other space shows. True, they're not the only one to do so - nuBSG had Michelle Forbes, Richard Hatch and Nana Visitor among others - but few, if any, in the lead roles.
Nana Visitor was never on BSG. Richard Hatch's inclusion was meant as an hoomage ot the original.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 09:49 PM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Yes Nana was.

If you want to call some one a liar, waste a couple seconds to look up your facts to make sure that you don't get egg on your face. it's the least you can do because manners cost nothing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993928/fullcredits#cast
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:14 PM   #41
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ They had two of the Farscape crew as leads in SG: Atlantis (Ben Browder and Claudia Black). And frequent guest appearances from various Trek actors - Connor Trineer, Robert Picardo, Colm Meaney and others. To me, this was another reason why it just didn't stand out from the crowd. It just felt like a get-together from other shows. Purely IMHO.
Actually Ben Browder and Claudia Black were the last seasons of SG1, rather than in Atlantis
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:20 PM   #42
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Good call.
That's a very good call.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ They had two of the Farscape crew as leads in SG: Atlantis (Ben Browder and Claudia Black). And frequent guest appearances from various Trek actors - Connor Trineer, Robert Picardo, Colm Meaney and others. To me, this was another reason why it just didn't stand out from the crowd. It just felt like a get-together from other shows. Purely IMHO.
Plus Phlox, T'Pol, MArina Sirtis, the list goes on. I do find it jarring at times. It's like Mark bleeding Sheppard. I do genuinely quite like the guy, but never mind the Nation Estate and the Daleks, that guy seems to be contractually obliged to be in every sci-fi show.

Might as well make him Travis now...

And chalk me up as someone else who finds the sci-fi actor interchangability on some shows a bit anoying. And really Monica B really needs to play something other than the evil short haired woman!
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:22 PM   #43
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Starkers wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Good call.
That's a very good call.

And chalk me up as someone else who finds the sci-fi actor interchangability on some shows a bit anoying. And really Monica B really needs to play something other than the evil short haired woman!
She was short haired but not evil in Homeland.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:39 PM   #44
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

What she broke the cycle when I wasn't looking? Damn!
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:46 PM   #45
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Starkers wrote: View Post
What she broke the cycle when I wasn't looking? Damn!
Just finished watching the first season today. Didn't think it was quite worth the rave reviews it was getting, but well worth checking out.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.