Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Fallen Gods.
Outstanding 1 1.15%
Above Average 13 14.94%
Average 40 45.98%
Below Average 23 26.44%
Poor 10 11.49%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3 2012, 03:26 PM   #121
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Lots of human personal and place names are long, complicated, and have apostrophes. Why should alien names be any different?
I agree that these names are realistic. However, as a reader who is trying to develop a mental picture of what is going on, that flowing image is broken up when I come upon a name which takes a few seconds to figure out how to say. And I have to figure out that name so I know who is being talked about in conversation and so I can remember that person when he/she comes up again in a later chapter.
Old August 3 2012, 03:36 PM   #122
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Just finished. This... just wasn't good. At all.

Cartoon-like villains, terrible writing (incredibly, both overly wordy and full of anachronistic slang at the same time), no character development, stereotypical plotting, predictable ending.

This is the kind of crap people think of when they put down tie-in novels as being lesser than original fiction. Mack, George, Beyer, Bennett, McCormack, and so many others over the past few years have shown that TrekLit can be the equal of any other sci-fi running; this kind of nonsense gives everyone a bad name.
Old August 3 2012, 04:13 PM   #123
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
They talk about the Gum Nebula, which was the region they entered way back in Orion's Hounds and appeared to stay through until Destiny. But then I thought Over a Torrent Sea sent them off to a different region of space, yet here we are back in the Gum Nebula? Or am I missing something?
Reassigned back to the Gum Nebula project due to resources freed up elsewhere, perhaps?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 07:14 PM   #124
Christopher
Writer

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
They talk about the Gum Nebula, which was the region they entered way back in Orion's Hounds and appeared to stay through until Destiny. But then I thought Over a Torrent Sea sent them off to a different region of space, yet here we are back in the Gum Nebula? Or am I missing something?
I wondered about that myself, but then, I wondered why Titan left the Gum Nebula so soon in the first place (actually in Sword of Damocles). I mean, the space within the Gum Nebula is about equal in size to the Federation and all its neighbors combined, enough to spend centuries exploring.

Also, there's a jump of a whole year between Synthesis and Seize the Fire, so a lot could've happened in the interim.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 07:36 PM   #125
Ben Sisko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well it appears we know who the real talent was behind the martin\mangles duo back in the early 2000's. His books must sell, because they keep giving him contracts. SOmeone said above about planets in trouble because of religion. This has been a martin trope from the begining. He's the single most polictially influenced writer since Diane Carey. With books dedicated to Cindy Sheehan and now the Occupy Movement and the Al-quaeda supported rebels who murdered Ghadaffi in cold blood in the streets, this has been my last Martin purchase. With only one trek book per month I wish they'd fill up the space for more of mack and george and bring back KRAD for GOD SAKES.
Ben Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 08:28 PM   #126
CommodoreNero
Captain

As someone who is trying to finish his first novel, I will absolutely give credit where credit is due and congratulate the author on finishing his work. That being said, however, I will say this one was not my particular taste. It fell a little flat for me. The Andorians felt like cartoons, the plot was very by the numbers and I didn't care about the aliens. I wanted to know more about their progenitors, because they seemed actually interesting. All in all, not my favorite.
Old August 3 2012, 08:43 PM   #127
JD
Admiral

I hate to say it since I love Titan, but based on the reactions it looks like I might be skipping this. I already own but haven't read the first Romulan War book and Seize the Fire, so I'll probably wait to make my final after I've read those, but it's not looking likely.
Old August 3 2012, 09:13 PM   #128
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Just started. The alien names take too long to process and determine their agenda. I wonder if Riker is happy for very long, since he got command of the Titan. Not certain about the subplot to marginalize the Andorians left in Starfleet.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 09:14 PM   #129
Mage
Commodore

I'm a bit concerned about the reactions about this being bad. I'm about 50 pages in, and sofar it's grabbing my attention more then Seize The Fire. Then again, still have 300 pages to go, and knowing Martin's work, this can still go down hill.
Old August 3 2012, 10:11 PM   #130
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I hate to say it since I love Titan, but based on the reactions it looks like I might be skipping this. I already own but haven't read the first Romulan War book and Seize the Fire, so I'll probably wait to make my final after I've read those, but it's not looking likely.
StF gives you some neat stuff about the Gorn but the story is pretty weak (though I actually liked the kind of ridiculous, old-school sprawl of the whole thing). This is much shorter and contains nothing interesting.

The good news is that you pretty much can skip both of them. Martin doesn't really do characterization, so you won't have missed any actual story arcs or character development. Whoever writes the next one, and I'm seriously hoping it isn't Martin again, you'll be able to jump right in no problem.

I'd say skip this one for sure, and StF isn't a priority either.
Old August 3 2012, 10:51 PM   #131
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Thus far, I'm thinking this is an improvement over Seize the Fire but both of these Martin novels just don't have that "wow" factor that previous entries in the series have had. I really hope they bring in a different author for the next installment.
Old August 4 2012, 01:32 AM   #132
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
this one clearly takes place sometime after Paths of Disharmony, which was mostly in October '82.
Yep. The Historian's Note in "Fallen Gods" suggests it falls "about two months" after the conclusion of "Seize the Fire" or "approximately two weeks after the finish" of "Paths of Disharmony", roughly November 1, 2382.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 04:05 AM   #133
JWolf
Commodore

I'm not really liking Pava all that much. I also find Ra-Havreii still going on about the Luna disaster a bit much. I thought we got past that by now. Melora and the telepresence is just silly. There's probably going to be more as I read on. I just hope that future Titan novels don't refer back to this one if it doesn't actually get better.

Why are we stepping backwards in character development instead of forwards?

I'm on page 137 of 281 and my vote is currently teetering between average and below average.

One thing I find a bit odd is the use of ... in places it seems inappropriate.

Last edited by JWolf; August 4 2012 at 04:17 AM.
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 04:30 AM   #134
DaveR
Commander

View DaveR's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DaveR Send a message via Yahoo to DaveR

starri wrote: View Post
Between this and StF, I wish an editor would encourage Martin not to indulge in starting the story with the aliens. Frankly, if I hadn't forced myself to get through that first chapter to get to the Titan's crew, I could have set it down and not regretted it later. I might be the only one that feels that way, but I think if someone is going to start the story with a more-or-less unfamiliar alien culture instead of the familiar characters, the writing needs to be extraordinarily strong, and this, IMHO, was not.
You're not alone. I really had to fight myself not to put it down during that horrible prologue.

It got better after that, but still not impressive at all.
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 07:51 AM   #135
Senjus
Ensign

I agree with the posts here about weak characterizations.