Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Fallen Gods.
Outstanding 1 1.11%
Above Average 14 15.56%
Average 40 44.44%
Below Average 24 26.67%
Poor 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6 2012, 06:35 PM   #196
JWolf
Commodore

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I'd like to know who voted outstanding and why.
Old August 6 2012, 08:18 PM   #197
Markonian
Captain

JWolf wrote: View Post
It wasn't me - I swear!

But: maybe the voter is a big Titan fan (like me). Usually, I don't realize the problems of a novel until I study the other readers' opinions posted in such threads like these. Then I think: "I didn't notice (or couldn't put my finger on it), but now that I know, its glaringly obvious."
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 08:39 PM   #198
Sho
Fleet Captain

JWolf wrote: View Post
Considering how firmly it's placing last in the ranking now, it does stand out I suppose. That's the problem with relative poll option labels .

Seriously though, the board software gives poll creators the option to make voter's names public, but when I open these threads I don't tick that box to avoid peer pressure effect.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 09:18 PM   #199
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Markonian wrote: View Post
Firstly, the novels are not yet up to speed - the events of Countdown are still several years away.

Secondly, some novels include references that seem to prepare for Countdown, e.g.
- reunification of RSE
- La Forge is a Commander again.
- Worf's mishap during the Dominion War will no longer prevent his promotion (Picard weighed in).
- Picard considers retirement and ambassadorship to Vulcan.
Yes, but several individuals have stated that they don't want the events of Countdown (including Data's resurrection/awakening) to happen in this continuity. Some have said Countdown won't fall into this continuity.

I do agree that that the potential career for Picard as a diplomat to Vulcan does show a possible progression to the state presented in Countdown.

Christopher, your explantion makes sense. So what IDW comics would you say have been included as part of the novel continuity or at least could fit into it?

Lastly, Amazon reviews of Fallen Gods shows five 3/5 stars and two 1/5. So not much love there. The reviews here are making an interesting bell curve.
Old August 6 2012, 10:42 PM   #200
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
Ronald Held wrote: View Post
about half way through. Andor has only a few military vessels, and sent one that far out to collect 7 Andorians from Titan?
That's what Commander Zhrar claimed, but we don't actually know this. Really, we have no idea who he's working for, and only his word to back up his assertion that he's working for the Andorian government. We won't really know what's going on until the next book.
Yeah, this storyline is kind of a head-scratcher to me in its present state. That may be by design though, since I assume there's more to come.

If Zhrar did what he did to simply have more Andorians to bring back, why bother with the ones all the way out on Titan? My only other guess was that it was for intelligence reasons, but even still there had to be more accessible Andorians in Starfleet that they could've gotten. I guess we'll find out eventually.
Old August 6 2012, 10:51 PM   #201
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Andor has only a few military vessels...
But it had a great name, though.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 02:22 AM   #202
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

Maybe the person who gave it an outstanding grade really liked the book. Not everyone shares the same opinion, especially here.

Sadly I had to give it an average score. I was ok with it in the beginning but how many times is something going to happen to Tuvok or the other empathic members of the crew? The civilization was an interesting concept but thought that could have been better. I found myself not really caring about what was going to haven to them.

This isn't the worst Trek book I've read this year (that honor goes to First Frontier) but I had trouble finishing it, same with That Which Divides. I will say the idea of they had for getting more Andorians was interesting & they did pick a good place to try it where it would be unnoticed, but I would assume it wouldn't be too long before that news gets out.
Old August 7 2012, 02:58 AM   #203
Snaploud
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post
about half way through. Andor has only a few military vessels, and sent one that far out to collect 7 Andorians from Titan?
It's possible that these Andorians were chosen for their familiarity with a slipstream-capable starship.
Unless something big has changed since I last looked, Titan isn't slipstream-capable.
Ah, okay. I'm not as familiar with the Titan books. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the Titan Andorians had significant knowledge of slipstream technology, and the Titan's relative isolation would certainly make it a good target.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 05:11 AM   #204
Christopher
Writer

Though, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the Titan Andorians had significant knowledge of slipstream technology...
I doubt the crew of a ship that far out in deep space would be as current with cutting-edge research as, say, the staff of Jupiter Station or Utopia Planitia or the SCE.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 08:55 PM   #205
Snaploud
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Though, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the Titan Andorians had significant knowledge of slipstream technology...
I doubt the crew of a ship that far out in deep space would be as current with cutting-edge research as, say, the staff of Jupiter Station or Utopia Planitia or the SCE.
It would be Titan's relative isolation that would make the ship a good target, though, and we really don't know much about how cutting-edge techniques are distributed throughout the fleet. Slipstream is no longer in just the research phase, so it would make sense for engineers with high clearance levels (for instance) to have access to the information. They might not know all the details of the latest ideas inside Jupiter station, but they might know the details of the drives currently being implemented.

Of course, it's just a possibility. It may very well be that nobody on Titan has access to the tech.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 01:20 PM   #206
Fer
Commander

I voted above average, because I really enjoyed it. I like seeing the developments with the Andorians, and I've always been fond of both Tuvok and SecondGen White-Blue as characters. I hope we get to see more of the latter in future Titan books.
Old August 11 2012, 02:46 AM   #207
JWolf
Commodore

White-Blue is gone unless another author can figure out a way to get the backup working in a realistic way.
Old August 11 2012, 09:51 AM   #208
Fer
Commander

Torvig already had a plan by the end of the book; working from backup files is realistic enough for me.
Old August 11 2012, 12:41 PM   #209
starri
Lieutenant

...and yet another example of how "dead" never means "dead" in TrekLit.
starri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 09:56 AM   #210
Drizzt
Lieutenant Junior Grade

**SPOILERS IN THIS MESSAGE****

If you have not read the book "Fallen Gods" by Michael A. Martin IN ITS ENTIRETY, do not read this post.

OK, so I think I missed something. Right near the end of the book, on page. 329, Ensign Vallah says to Pava, "And he's still upset about having to sign that agreement."

To which agreement was he referring? Both Pava and Vallah refer to an agreement which all of the Andorian officers aboard Titan have signed, but I don't remember any scene in the book in which such an agreement was signed. Am I missing something? Is this something that happens in another Typhon Pact book, that is referred to here?

Not that big a deal, really. It is just one of those things that didn't add up as I was finishing the novel, that made me scratch my head.

Oh and as for opinion, I thought it was a good, solid book. It wasn't spectacular, but it was a good, entertaining Trek novel, which is all you can really ask for. I paid my $8, I got a novel that kept me turning the pages, and kept me entertained. No complaints here. Keep on writing, Mr. Martin!