Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old May 26 2014, 06:29 PM   #361
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Considering these movies are supposed to all be related and similar in feel, allowing directors to do whatever they want is, honestly, a bad thing. Especially since nearly every single one of them would want to make it their movie, with their vision, and more likely than not wanting to "reimagine" it so that it's "hip and edgy."
I have a feeling that this is why Wright was fired. He had vision but it didn't fit with the MCU. In that case what Disney did was appropriate.
Maybe appropriate.. if you like hake having your movies made by suits rather than visionaries
Your point is getting a little tedious. If you want to be a visionary, don't work for a big corporation. They want to see a return on their 200-300 million dollar investment.

And besides, the visionary might just make one picture for them and then walk away, and they are left to pick up the pieces.

When budgets climb that high, and you have a track record of success, of course, you are going to start to mitigate risk. Of course, you are going to want to make your franchise fit all together.

If you want to work inside the Hollywood system, you are going to be working for suits. That's the reality, and no amount of internet whining is going to change that. It's no longer 1980.

That said, I'm said that Wright left. I like him a lot as a filmmaker, and I'm curious how "far" his vision--if that indeed was the reason for the departure--was away from what corporate wanted.
Old May 28 2014, 01:43 AM   #362
JD
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Considering these movies are supposed to all be related and similar in feel, allowing directors to do whatever they want is, honestly, a bad thing. Especially since nearly every single one of them would want to make it their movie, with their vision, and more likely than not wanting to "reimagine" it so that it's "hip and edgy."
I have a feeling that this is why Wright was fired. He had vision but it didn't fit with the MCU. In that case what Disney did was appropriate.
Maybe appropriate.. if you like hake having your movies made by suits rather than visionaries
As long as those suits are making movies like The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier then I say let them. I've been happy with those, and I don't appear to be the only one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I guess if what Wright wanted to do was drastically different from the other Marvel movies in style and tone, then I guess I can kind of see bringing in someone who will do something more in line with what they wanted.
I've actually been pretty impressed with how different each of the movies has been so far.
Old May 28 2014, 03:03 AM   #363
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I think Marvel was finally fed up with Wright taking forever to do this movie. This movie was announced in 2006, before even the first Iron Man!

http://www.superherohype.com/feature...-talks-ant-man

Could it be that Wright wanted more time and another delay causing Marvel to finally balk?
I attended the Ant-Man presentation at Comic-Con. Learned that this movie was planned as a comedy. When I think of funny superheroes, Mystery Men comes to mind. No thanks. Maybe the differences between Marvel and Wright are about the tone of the film.
Old May 28 2014, 07:54 PM   #364
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Hard to say given most of the Marvel films to date have been some variation on "action-comedy". Iron Man 1-3, both Thors and (from the looks of things) the upcoming GotG are all very tongue in cheek. Even the Incredible Hulk, the Cap movies & Avengers had a few good gags.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 09:04 PM   #365
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

If the reports are true it doesn't sound like Disney was worried about too much humor, but rather that they were worried the lead character was too morally ambiguous and they wanted the film to tie in more strongly with the Avengers.
Old May 29 2014, 03:54 PM   #366
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

According to this article, Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn has been allegedly tapped to replace Edgar Wright on Ant-Man.

I'm not sure if I believe this - even though it would make sense for Marvel to hire from within the company. Gunn is busy in post-production on Guardians and juggling pre-production/filming on another big-budget superhero property seems like a lot to take on for a relatively inexperienced filmmaker like Gunn. While I would be happy with the decision, since I think Gunn is actually very talented, I think the gig will go to someone who isn't knee-deep in post-production on another film.
Old May 29 2014, 04:31 PM   #367
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Too bad Joss is too busy to take it on.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 06:55 PM   #368
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

James Gunn says, "no f-ing way".
Old May 30 2014, 06:52 PM   #369
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Hollywood Reporter is saying there are three directors in the mix to step in and take over: Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer.
Old May 30 2014, 06:59 PM   #370
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The Hollywood Reporter is saying there are three directors in the mix to step in and take over: Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer.
Yeah, still sounds like it'll play more towards comedy if their past works are any indication.
Old May 30 2014, 08:11 PM   #371
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Adam McKay?

Well. They aren't nervous about making it a comedy. Or, at least, very comedic... because why McKay if you were making a serious movie...

I think his movie the Other Guys is quite good... I'd be onboard with him.
Old May 30 2014, 08:45 PM   #372
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I think Adam McKay would be the best choice of the three. He's worked with Paul Rudd before and he knows comedy. Ruben Fleischer would be interesting. He would be my second choice. He can handle action/comedy (as proven with Zombieland).
Old May 30 2014, 09:03 PM   #373
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So who is playing naked Carol Danvers that Antman is watching loofah herself raw in a shower?

(Yes, something that actually happened.)

If you want this not to be a comedy.

Do this as the opening 30 seconds:

Voice over from Paul Rudd "It seemed like a good idea"

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face.

Voice over from Paul Rudd "It seemed like the best idea."

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face from a different angle.

Vice over from Paul Rudd "In the history of good ideas, this was my my second best."

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face from yet a another different angle.

Voice over from Paul Rudd "What was best for the universe than giving this ##### exactly what she deserved."

Slow motion image of Paul's fist connecting with Rashida's face from yet a different angle.

Voice over from Paul Rudd, "Well I don't mean to brag but I built the robot that destroyed the world. Took every member of humanity on the planet and chucked them into a furnace. So yes technically that had greater global ramifications maybe, but on a personal level I never felt as awesome as the day I detached my wife's retina."

Rashida on the ground screaming in pain, Paul dancing around her in victory.

Voice over from Paul Rudd "But I'm getting ahead of myself. Way ahead of myself, lets star at the beginning..."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; May 30 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 10:34 PM   #374
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Wrap is reporting that Rawson Marshall Thurber is the frontrunner to direct Ant-Man.

Edit to add: now AICN is saying that Adam McKay is in final talks to take over as director. He has a history with Paul Rudd, having directed the Anchorman movies.

Edit to add again: and now Adam McKay is out. From The Hollywood Reporter:

Scratch Adam McKay off the list of replacements for Ant-Man helmer Edgar Wright.

Negotiations began with McKay in earnest on Friday but the Anchorman director abruptly decided against taking the job on the film, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The decision is said to be his alone.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; May 31 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 08:44 PM   #375
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

This just in: Ant-Man pulls out of Ant-Man movie.