Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 23 2014, 11:48 PM   #316
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post

Somewhere Brett Ratner's cell phone is ringing.
I would actually put money on either James Gunn (since Guardians of the Galaxy is supposedly being wildly received by studio execs) or Joe Cornish, since he walked away from Star Trek III and co-wrote the script.
Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright are good friends. Do you think Cornish would direct if Wright left based on creative differences? If Wright left because of personal reasons, then I would see that happening, but not given the supposed split.
Cornish is actively trying to get more work, and after leaving Star Trek III (probably due to story and script issues, but that's just me spitballing as a result of the Orci news), it would be a good fit for him: He's a little-known director, and Marvel Studios is legendarily shitty when dealing with people whose last names aren't Whedon or Downey.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 12:05 AM   #317
liquorice
Ensign

I wonder how much of an impact this is going to have on the final product. I haven't been keeping up with updates so I don't know how far along they are in terms of production.

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
liquorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 12:46 AM   #318
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Luckily, Brett Ratner is probably still too busy with his Hercules movie to get involved with a new movie right now.

I think it's likely that they're gonna go with another tv director, like Alan Taylor or the Russos. Maybe Michelle MacLaren? She has directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, but hasn't made any movies and is therefore likely cheap and willing to follow Marvel's demands.

Even more likely: they'll hire someone we're not even thinking of. I mean, did anyone see Kenneth Branagh or James Gunn coming?
Old May 24 2014, 01:05 AM   #319
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Wow, hugely surprising. I guess principal photography hasn't quite started?

Regardless, I trust Feige and Marvel Studios more than I do Wright, whose epileptic Scott Pilgrim gave me a headache that dissuaded me from watching the whole thing. Given the subject matter and the fact that the script is presumably pretty much locked, I have faith that the finished film will be distinctive without being obnoxious.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 03:21 AM   #320
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I unplug, get offline to spend time with real people, see XM: DOFP and all hell breaks loose on the next MCU film due to start shooting!!!!

I swear I can't leave this place for a second!

I suppose it'll be some time, like the Raimi/Sony stuff, before we get details of the actual truth but I wouldn't put it past there being a bit of blame on both parties side. I doubt either side is "clean" in this breakup.

I'm still eager for Ant-Man. Is it possible Feige wants more ties to AoU and Wright didn't want it? Of course if Edgar had done this during Phase 1 like when he said it'd be moot. The MCU films are a sliding time frame of a game plan and perhaps what was once OK with Feige is now needing adjustment and Wright got pissy on that at this point?

Be curious to see who the new director will be. Wasn't filming due to start in July? I guess it still will if the Deadline piece is saying nothing is being altered for the release date.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 03:32 AM   #321
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Take this with an extreme grain of salt as I have no idea of the credentials of the source...

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comme..._movie/chpihlo

The word from people on the crew is Wright got booted for being REALLY behind schedule and being ineffective at righting the ship and getting it back on track. Production has been bleeding money for a month and Marvel got fed up with him and they lost their confidence in his ability to manage a production of this size.
Old May 24 2014, 08:20 AM   #322
Dream
Admiral

Some more details about what might have gone wrong

http://www.latino-review.com/news/ex...t-over-ant-man

The prep on this film has been forever and it was impossible to be behind schedule because the entire production was out on hiatus by Marvel for duration of the script's rewrite. Families left homes to work on the movie in Atlanta and were now suddenly in limbo.

So about the rewrite...

About 3 months ago, Marvel had notes. The meat of the notes were about the core morality of the piece, must include franchise characters. etc., These notes came from the big four at Marvel. Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright did two drafts to try and answer the notes without compromising their vision.

6 weeks ago Marvel took the script off them and gave the writing assignment to two very low credit writers. One of the writers were from Marvel's in house writing team. Edgar stayed cool, agreed to stay on the project, and read the draft.

The script came in this week and was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar's vision. Edgar met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit and the announcement went out directly after.

Edgar & Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers. Fiege had always batted for them but this felt like it came from the higher ups.

Where does this leave the cast? Well, it is believed they don't have the option to walk like Edgar did.
Old May 24 2014, 10:21 AM   #323
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

This all seems to confirm that MCU is a machine. They might hire decent film-makers to attach their names to these films to give them more credibility, but none of these films represent a film-makers' vision they way older movies used to do (even the blockbuster films) but it's all the vision of the studio. Directors, even the great ones, are merely the hired guns of the studio's vision.

In the past, filmmakers had a fragile vision of what they wanted and they had to beg studios to give them some money to bring that vision into fruition.. the limited assets limited that vision, but they still worked so hard to hold that delicate vision.. but now studios like Marvel couldn't care less about the vision of the filmmakers it has hired to do their vision.

Feighy is an pompous jerk, and there is no way anyone could compare him to Lucas or Spielberg.
Old May 24 2014, 12:06 PM   #324
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Joss Whedon doesn't look too happy about it, either: https://twitter.com/josswhedon/statu...363584/photo/1
Old May 24 2014, 03:29 PM   #325
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Mmm. I'm not expecting anything original or unique now. Just another bland Marvel superhero movie ala The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World for example.

It'll make money, and it won't be "bad," it'll be an ok movie. But it won't be anything really special.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 03:39 PM   #326
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Mmm. I'm not expecting anything original or unique now. Just another bland Marvel superhero movie ala The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World for example.

It'll make money, and it won't be "bad," it'll be an ok movie. But it won't be anything really special.
Or we could have another Winter Soldier or Iron Man 3 and have our minds blown. Yeah Marvel is a machine but they deliver a consistent product and sometimes they out do themselves (I'm reminded of Chipotle)
Old May 24 2014, 05:25 PM   #327
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Joss Whedon doesn't look too happy about it, either: https://twitter.com/josswhedon/statu...363584/photo/1
I don't know if I'm impressed or scared that I get that picture, probably both.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 06:06 PM   #328
ITL
Vice Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Wright, Pegg and Frost have all retweeted it. This makes me happy.
Old May 24 2014, 06:39 PM   #329
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Now Latino Review is saying that Drew Goddard has left the Netflix Daredevil series. What the hell? Or maybe he's leaving Daredevil to take over Ant-Man. Seems unlikely, though.

Edit to add: someone on the Superhero Hype forum is claiming to have inside information that Goddard left because he's about to be handed a major comic book property (not Ant-Man and not a reference to Sinister Six, which he's also attached to).

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; May 24 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 07:28 PM   #330
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Directors, even the great ones, are merely the hired guns of the studio's vision.
I'm very glad to hear that, actually. Directors have too much power over movies, and those movies usually suffer as a result. Especially when dealing with well-known franchises where they want to "shake things up" or "reimagine" everything, whereas everyone else is just hoping to see a more faithful and/or up-to-date adaptation.

I have no doubt that's what was going on here. No doubt at all.