Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 28 2014, 05:20 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

SEARCH '70s television series....

Canadian SF writer, Robert J. Sawyer, has just announced some information that's come his way. On his Facebook page he relayed that he learned Warner Bros. will be releasing the 1972 series SEARCH in a newly remastered DVD box set.

https://www.facebook.com/robertjsawyer

Apparently WB had to go back to the original negatives so the transfers should look as good as it was meant to.

I'm excited about this because I quite liked this show way back. I hope they include the feature pilot PROBE in the new set. For me this will be a must purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwOmmIEoLQg&app=desktop

Some background for those unfamiliar with the series:
http://www.bigredhair.com/search/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_(TV_series)
Old January 28 2014, 06:32 AM   #2
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

As soon as I saw the thread title, I turned to my TV novelization shelf and removed perhaps the obscurest thing there.

You're the first person I've heard mention Search in about 30 years!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 07:46 AM   #3
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Back in the '70s I used to have a copy of that very book. I can't for the life of me recall what happened to it.
Old January 28 2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I thought at first this might be about In Search Of..., PROBE sounds kind of familar but I don't really remember this series.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Forbin
Admiral

I remember it and I loved it! I also loved that Elke Sommer was in the pilot film.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I thought at first this might be about In Search Of..., PROBE sounds kind of familar but I don't really remember this series.
Exactly my thoughts. And I was also thinking that Probe was some kind of PBS show.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I like that this series did something different by having three male leads, who alternated appearing week by week. I thought it was a great idea, and really drove home the concept that this was a large organization. Too many shows have one action star, and it seems that the place is just them.

The show may not have lasted, but it left it's mark in my mind.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 06:26 AM   #8
DrCorby
Lieutenant Commander

Terrific news! I'll definitely be looking at buying the set when it comes out. Hope there are some great extras.

I remember watching this and late Mission: Impossible episodes back in the 70s. I liked the rotating leads, the mixture of missions, and of course, Burgess Meredith guiding the missions from the control room. Very creative idea for the time!
Old January 29 2014, 06:16 PM   #9
cylkoth
Commodore

For Roku owners, you can watch the pilot film via Warners Archive Instant streaming service.
http://instant.warnerarchive.com/pro...roductId=57749
They offer a 2 week free trial, and after the account is activated, you can add the app to your channels, and watch on your tv.
If you don't have a Roku, you can still sign up, but you'll watch on your pc/laptop.

Last edited by cylkoth; January 29 2014 at 06:59 PM.
cylkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 07:08 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I've never seen this show, but I remember seeing its scripts offered for sale in the catalogs I got from Lincoln Enterprises (Gene & Majel Roddenberry's memorabilia company). I always wondered why they included it among their merchandise -- I guess it's because Bob Justman produced the show.

I'm not sure what I think of the premise. Of course the idea of an organization using ultra-high-tech gear is of interest to me, but their purpose seems a little sketchy. It's a series about... people looking for lost stuff? Well, then again, I suppose a lot of stories are about people pursuing various McGuffins, and the story is in what happens along the way. In a lot of Mission: Impossible episodes, the specific stakes of the mission were rather unimportant and it was all about the mechanics of how the bad guys were scammed/brought down.

But I'm definitely interested if Burgess Meredith is in it, and the female lead looks quite comely.

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I like that this series did something different by having three male leads, who alternated appearing week by week. I thought it was a great idea, and really drove home the concept that this was a large organization. Too many shows have one action star, and it seems that the place is just them.
Maverick did much the same, alternating between two leads at a time (out of a total of four over the course of the series), although that was done to accommodate the shooting schedule by allowing them to have two different production units overlapping. The scripts were all written without any particular Maverick brother/cousin in mind and assigned arbitrarily to the different leads (except for those occasions where two of them shared an episode), and it was only the differences in performance between James Garner, Jack Kelly, and Roger Moore (and briefly Robert Colbert) that distinguished the characters.

Mission: Impossible was originally meant to have an ensemble-ish cast, with a different team composition each week drawing on different members of the regular cast and various guest stars (Martin Landau was officially a recurring guest in the first season, even though he ended up as the de facto lead once Steven Hill was sidelined). But as the series progressed, the team composition became more and more standardized.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 09:03 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

^It even started to get a bit pointless for Phelps to pull out his folder of agents and decide who to call in. after a certain point, we'd see the same dossiers every single time, except, maybe, for the addition of a guest-star agent as the last choice (which, on second blush, is reason enough for the scene).
Old January 29 2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

I seem to remember Angel Tompkins as the female lead in the control room, but IMDB only lists her for 2 episodes. I thought, back in my teens, that Angel was definitely the right name for her. SUCH a pretty.
Old January 29 2014, 09:47 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
^It even started to get a bit pointless for Phelps to pull out his folder of agents and decide who to call in. after a certain point, we'd see the same dossiers every single time, except, maybe, for the addition of a guest-star agent as the last choice (which, on second blush, is reason enough for the scene).
Which is why they stopped using the dossier scenes regularly after season 2. In season 3, dossier scenes were used ony in the seven episodes that featured guest team members. In season 4, when they had no regular female lead, the dossier scenes became regular once again in order to introduce the female agent of the week. The last three seasons abandoned the dossier scenes altogether.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 10:12 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral

There ya go! It's good to have statistics to fill in my "I kinda remember"s.
Old February 5 2014, 05:28 AM   #15
Warped9
Admiral

The series set is now available, but only for the U.S. for now.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/search...pe&from=Search

The rest of us shmucks have to wait until it becomes available through Amazon, whenever that might be.