RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,232
Posts: 5,405,960
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 654
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 8 2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Dryson
Lieutenant
 
Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

Does anyone have any interesting ideas on FTL travel? You don't need to prove your idea or theory with math just try to explain what you mean and see where it leads.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 02:21 AM   #2
HIjol
Fleet Captain
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: Currently U.A.E (a lot like Tatooine!)
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

If we cannot find a way to reduce mass as speed increases, game over...
__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:42 AM   #3
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

There are ways to subvert the game...
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:51 AM   #4
HIjol
Fleet Captain
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: Currently U.A.E (a lot like Tatooine!)
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

sojourner wrote: View Post
There are ways to subvert the game...
I KNEW!...I knew it was a real!!!...I just knew it...ok...<pencil in hand, protractor and slide rule standing by>...do tell!...
__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Metryq
Captain
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

HIjol wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
There are ways to subvert the game...
I KNEW!...I knew it was a real!!!...I just knew it...ok...<pencil in hand, protractor and slide rule standing by>...do tell!...
GUARDIAN: As correct as possible for you. Your science knowledge is obviously primitive.
SPOCK: Really.
KIRK: Annoyed, Spock?
__________________
"No, I better not look. I just might be in there."
—Foghorn Leghorn, Little Boy Boo
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

All I can contribute is that it probably somehow requires huge amounts of energy. To store such energy production devices on a spacecraft will probably increase the mass to a point where it becomes pointless.

Where Star Trek was ahead of its time, IMHO, was the concept of tapping into some kind of space energy (not to be confused with Bussard ramscoops).

As it stands we could theorize that there is some way to harvest this enigmatic "dark energy" for FTL application purposes (until someone tells us that this wouldn't work either).

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 10:00 PM   #7
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

Flying near a cosmic sting and hoping the variable speed of light theory works
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Dryson
Lieutenant
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

HIjol - The big bang was not an expansion of space but an expansion of compressed matter, possibly even the matter that space is made out of.

This is the theoretical that I have been working as it is relates to gravitons and geometric shapes.

My theory involves geometric shapes. If we take all of the geometric shapes known to geometry and place then so that their perpendicular surfaces touch, we can see that any straight edged object such a square, triangle or rectangle cannot create time, but can be used as a frame of reference to contain an area of space to analyze. The only geometric shape that does not occupy all of space in the manner of being a straight edged object is the sphere. I drew two circles that were tangent to one another, then I noticed something wonderful happening, time in the shape of an hour glass began to appear at the exact center of the two points of tangency. I then went even further and drew two more circles of the same diameter along the horizontal plane of tangency. I then shaded in the two non-tangent voids created by the four circles and found that the hour glass of time was complete. Or so I had thought, I then interjected my theory of what time is based not on general notion of specialty but on specifics of reality. Maybe this can be coined as specific relativity, any way let Websters do the coining, my theory on what time is is that time is the measurable distance an atom or atoms travel within a medium based upon the energetic properties of the atom or atoms contained within the medium and how the energetic properties of the atom or atoms exert a force against the medium while at the same time the energetic properties of the medium exerting a force back upon the atom or atom(s) within the same medium. In short time is a measurable distance that an energetic body travels based upon it's exertion of force upon another energetic body and how the two interactions create a distance of measurable travel between theirself.

Next I added a graviton into the circle and assumed that when two or more gravitons are equal in diameter as well as gravitational attraction that they would attract to each other. I then started adding in other gravitons of the same diameter as well as gravitational attraction and realized that when you have at least four graviton's that are tangent to one another they form a single unit of two dimensional time. I then added two more circles into the geomatrix construct and realized that when you have six tangent circles that represent gravitons that they form a non-tangent void in the center of their tangencies. Next came the fun part, I added that when six tangent spheres are attracted to one another and form a tangent geomatrix construct in space that they will compress the atoms within the non-tangent void. This means that any attempt by the atoms to escape while being compresses in the geomatrix construct is blocked on all tangent sides. Now comes the really fun part. The initial two circles that are tangent to each other at one point will have the greatest amount of compression at their tangency. This means that at their exact center of tangency is where the center of a galaxy would theoretically begin "Let there be light". This would only be possible if all six gravitons were attracted to one another at the exact same point of interest between their gravitational attraction in order to contain the atoms in a localized space. The center of the geomatrix construct at the point of central tangency between the initial two circles would compress the atoms in space to the point of causing the atoms to occupy the same space as one another thus causing an extreme amount of energetic release that would travel at faster then light speed velocities. As this energetic wave or released energy traveled out at faster then the speed of light, the atoms that were the closest to the central tangency point of creation but were outside of the central point of tangency or the point at which the gravitons became non-tangent would be forced outward away from the central point of creation.

This is the point at which a galaxy would be at it's most chaotic

Now since all of the gravitons are tangent at this point, the extreme release of energy at the central point of creation would force the atoms into the other non-central point's of creation, or the remaining fourteen points of tangency. As this energy begin to build mass inside of the non-tangent void due to the compression of the atoms in the void creating more gravitational energies, the six gravitons would begin to be repelled or pushed away because of the increase of mass being created in the non-tangent void. The newly created mass would exert more force on the gravitons then the gravitons would be able to exert on each other through their gravitational attraction and would begin to lose their ability to form the geomatrix construct. As the gravitons are forced farther apart they will pull some of the matter with them from the non-tangent void as a result of the release of energy occupying the space left behind by the graviton. Any matter that was not compressed into suns or other objects that would over time evolve into planets and other celestial objects would be what is called dark matter, or the the gravitational energy left behind during the initial creation that was pressed against the circumference of the six tangent gravitons.

When you draw the above on a 2D plane and begin connecting points to points you will begin to see geometries forming in a mere explosion of energy.

When you draw the above in a 3D plane you will see something quite extraordinary to say the least.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 01:35 AM   #9
Dryson
Lieutenant
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

Now the Genesian Theory takes place directly after the Big Bang occurred which is the same thing just with a different name.

Somewhere in the design above we will be able to track the point at which gravity as well know it first came to be. When we find this point in the timeline of the Genesian History we can then determine how gravity was first created before suns and black holes were formed.

This point in the Genesian Time Line is necessary to understand the creation of gravity without a sun or black hole being present so that a similar process can be duplicated and then used to create a warp field around a ship that allow the ship to travel at least the speed of light.

Even NASA has theorized that that Big Bang traveled faster than the speed of light. Then something happened to cause of the ejecta to slow and form into suns that formed into black holes that thus created the speed of light.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 02:27 AM   #10
Metryq
Captain
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

"During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
—Louis, GHOSTBUSTERS

"Your agonizer, please."
—Spock, MIRROR, MIRROR
__________________
"No, I better not look. I just might be in there."
—Foghorn Leghorn, Little Boy Boo
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 04:35 AM   #11
HIjol
Fleet Captain
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: Currently U.A.E (a lot like Tatooine!)
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

Dryson wrote: View Post
HIjol - The big bang was not an expansion of space but an expansion of compressed matter, possibly even the matter that space is made out of.

This is the theoretical that I have been working as it is relates to gravitons and geometric shapes.

My theory involves geometric shapes. If we take all of the geometric shapes known to geometry and place then so that their perpendicular surfaces touch, we can see that any straight edged object such a square, triangle or rectangle cannot create time, but can be used as a frame of reference to contain an area of space to analyze. The only geometric shape that does not occupy all of space in the manner of being a straight edged object is the sphere. I drew two circles that were tangent to one another, then I noticed something wonderful happening, time in the shape of an hour glass began to appear at the exact center of the two points of tangency. I then went even further and drew two more circles of the same diameter along the horizontal plane of tangency. I then shaded in the two non-tangent voids created by the four circles and found that the hour glass of time was complete. Or so I had thought, I then interjected my theory of what time is based not on general notion of specialty but on specifics of reality. Maybe this can be coined as specific relativity, any way let Websters do the coining, my theory on what time is is that time is the measurable distance an atom or atoms travel within a medium based upon the energetic properties of the atom or atoms contained within the medium and how the energetic properties of the atom or atoms exert a force against the medium while at the same time the energetic properties of the medium exerting a force back upon the atom or atom(s) within the same medium. In short time is a measurable distance that an energetic body travels based upon it's exertion of force upon another energetic body and how the two interactions create a distance of measurable travel between theirself.

Next I added a graviton into the circle and assumed that when two or more gravitons are equal in diameter as well as gravitational attraction that they would attract to each other. I then started adding in other gravitons of the same diameter as well as gravitational attraction and realized that when you have at least four graviton's that are tangent to one another they form a single unit of two dimensional time. I then added two more circles into the geomatrix construct and realized that when you have six tangent circles that represent gravitons that they form a non-tangent void in the center of their tangencies. Next came the fun part, I added that when six tangent spheres are attracted to one another and form a tangent geomatrix construct in space that they will compress the atoms within the non-tangent void. This means that any attempt by the atoms to escape while being compresses in the geomatrix construct is blocked on all tangent sides. Now comes the really fun part. The initial two circles that are tangent to each other at one point will have the greatest amount of compression at their tangency. This means that at their exact center of tangency is where the center of a galaxy would theoretically begin "Let there be light". This would only be possible if all six gravitons were attracted to one another at the exact same point of interest between their gravitational attraction in order to contain the atoms in a localized space. The center of the geomatrix construct at the point of central tangency between the initial two circles would compress the atoms in space to the point of causing the atoms to occupy the same space as one another thus causing an extreme amount of energetic release that would travel at faster then light speed velocities. As this energetic wave or released energy traveled out at faster then the speed of light, the atoms that were the closest to the central tangency point of creation but were outside of the central point of tangency or the point at which the gravitons became non-tangent would be forced outward away from the central point of creation.

This is the point at which a galaxy would be at it's most chaotic

Now since all of the gravitons are tangent at this point, the extreme release of energy at the central point of creation would force the atoms into the other non-central point's of creation, or the remaining fourteen points of tangency. As this energy begin to build mass inside of the non-tangent void due to the compression of the atoms in the void creating more gravitational energies, the six gravitons would begin to be repelled or pushed away because of the increase of mass being created in the non-tangent void. The newly created mass would exert more force on the gravitons then the gravitons would be able to exert on each other through their gravitational attraction and would begin to lose their ability to form the geomatrix construct. As the gravitons are forced farther apart they will pull some of the matter with them from the non-tangent void as a result of the release of energy occupying the space left behind by the graviton. Any matter that was not compressed into suns or other objects that would over time evolve into planets and other celestial objects would be what is called dark matter, or the the gravitational energy left behind during the initial creation that was pressed against the circumference of the six tangent gravitons.

When you draw the above on a 2D plane and begin connecting points to points you will begin to see geometries forming in a mere explosion of energy.

When you draw the above in a 3D plane you will see something quite extraordinary to say the least.

Dryson...first let me thank you for one hell of a communication...
...I do understand that the Big Bang was more an explosion of material, and I believe that much of that matter is still 'here'...
...if I understand your manipulation of Geometrics, you seem to be saying that the total void within the shapes contains within it, the Universe...further, with the addition of the circles, or, more accurately, the spheres, the area outside of the void contained within, is not-universe...further, your measurement and definition of time is intriguing...the hourglass comparison is interesting, in and of itself, as your theory of atoms travelling through a medium may or may not encounter resistance...is that not gravity, of a kind?...and would that not slow down time?...also fascinating is your procurement of gravitons...or, perhaps a spin 2 boson, which amounts to the same thing, many would agree...add to that the space-time you are creating with your geometrics, and there it is...
...if, indeed, all six of your gravitons in their media were attracted in exactly the same way, and the central tangency attracting atoms and compressing them were to compress to the point of same place same time, you would, indeed, have one hell of a show...but for that pesky "not-Universe" around the circles/spheres...and, I had thought that gravitons were outside of General Relativity because of their closed ends...and not detectable...yet...
...finally, the notion that the singularity would produce speeds in excess of that of light is most interesting...as the process is literally creating light as it unfolds, any speed faster than 0 would be faster than light, with the obvious unfolding of the fact that as the out-energy increases in velocity, the number representing the speed of light would increase to the point of the velocity of the energy pouring out...perhaps infinitely?...one final curiosity...would not the points of tangency be infinite in connecting circles at a random point?...that could create some wonders in a 3D plane, indeed...the only problem with that, is that there is no such thing as a 3D plane...hmmm...more work to do...ain't it grand?


__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 05:25 AM   #12
HIjol
Fleet Captain
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: Currently U.A.E (a lot like Tatooine!)
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

[QUOTE=Metryq;9575065]"During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
—Louis, GHOSTBUSTERS

...and as you well know, Metryq, those Meketrexians can supplicate like nobody's business...sad about the Shubs, though...

__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 12:37 AM   #13
Dryson
Lieutenant
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

HiJol - Thanks for replying.

I will go back through your response and answer the best that I can with the basics of science and geometry that I know.

you seem to be saying that the total void within the shapes contains within it, the Universe
Quite possible that each Genesian Sphere which would be similar to the Higgs-Boson would have contained different Higgs-Boson that while traveling through the Universe seeded particles with what-ever the Higgs-Boson seeds such particles with to give them and electron configuration. Basically you have six spheres that have six different ingredients in them that interact differently when other ingredients are added to each sphere but are kept separate from each other for a time that are then combined together at the central point of compression, being a large mixing bowl and then being placed into the oven or the point at which the Big Bang occurred that when the final product is removed you have a Universal delight.

further, with the addition of the circles, or, more accurately, the spheres, the area outside of the void contained within, is not-universe
No the Genesian spheres would order the material they comes across in the void of space to trap it between them to cause the Big Bang. So yes the are outside of the spheres would not be Universal, as we know it but an un-universal collection of material waiting to be collected and processed by the Genesian Spheres.




medium may or may not encounter resistance...is that not gravity,
Gravity would not have been present prior to the Bing Bang because Suns and Black Holes and the Core of planets is what produces gravity. Without these cores being present then there would not have been any gravity until after the Big Bang occurred and the central source of the Big Bang began to produce gravity that like a similarly charged and oppositely charged magnet would then have effected a resistance on the material within our Universe.

I'll answer more tomorrow.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 10:01 AM   #14
8472
Ensign
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

Some theoretical physicists say that FTL travel could be done through wormholes, which would basically fold space. They also say they would require the energy of entire stars. I don't really believe in matter as we know it going FTL other than that way. So basically warp drives are just a nice story. And even in ST, warp drives require anti-matter, which is kind of silly.

Then again, cavemen probably made fun of a caveman talking about flying.
8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Metryq
Captain
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

8472 wrote: View Post
And even in ST, warp drives require anti-matter, which is kind of silly.
Why is that silly? The use of antimatter says nothing about how the drive system works. Antimatter would simply be a concentrated fuel. Antimatter can be manufactured, but at very great expense—at least today. You're not getting something for nothing; the manufacturing process puts the energy into the system. The fuel acts as a concentrated carrier for the energy.

Unless and until some small power plant could approach the efficiency of an antimatter power system, it would be one way to dramatically reduce the mass of a ship.
__________________
"No, I better not look. I just might be in there."
—Foghorn Leghorn, Little Boy Boo
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.