Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 19 2014, 04:05 PM   #1351
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

I once tried to start reading the EU novels again... And then stopped at a scene when Luke was enjoying a mug of some ancient drink known as "hot chocolate". May have been cute in the early 90s, but nowadays it just pulled me right out of the narrative. I'm sure there are plenty of enjoyable EU novels (I for one really liked the early X-Wing books), but they're in the same boat as most any visual media franchise's literary works: optional.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 04:09 PM   #1352
Christopher
Writer

I don't see how hot chocolate existing in the distant past of a distant galaxy is any more unbelievable than humans named Luke and Ben existing therein.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 04:18 PM   #1353
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't see how hot chocolate existing in the distant past of a distant galaxy is any more unbelievable than humans named Luke and Ben existing therein.
...or any of the million other things mentioned in the films that are either colloquialisms (I'll see you in Hell) or Earth-society-centric (hours/years...kinda). I agree with you.

I guess you can either accept that these are all being filtered through a 'familiarity screen' so we can understand them at all...or not.
Old March 19 2014, 04:23 PM   #1354
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

That's fair - to me though it was presented as an unneeded anachronism to a world that SHOULD be really far away. Inasmuch as SW has "blasters" and "refreshers" and "tapcafes" and so on, sci-fi can use proxies to achieve familiarity while still being in a distant galaxy, and IMO should (hopefully without overdoing it). Starfleet crew drink coffee in the morning, sure - but they're generally humans from Earth. At least there's raktajino for everyone else...

Also, I never grew up with anyone named Luke or Ben, or Han for that matter - so to me those names seemed pretty weird, or at least uncommon enough to sound kinda alien.

Mark

Old March 19 2014, 04:25 PM   #1355
Christopher
Writer

Then again, the recent detection of gravity waves confirming the inflationary model of cosmology supports the idea that the universe extends infinitely beyond what we can observe, and if there is an infinite number of galaxies, then supposedly it becomes inevitable that a galaxy far, far away would replicate everything that's familiar to us. Although the odds of ever actually reaching such a galaxy, given an infinity of choices, would be effectively zero, so its existence would be academic at best. But as long as there's no interaction between the SW galaxy and ours, it could be explained that way.

Of course, the simplest explanation is that it's just a space-opera fairy tale created for our entertainment and thus it doesn't have to make realistic sense.

Old March 19 2014, 04:57 PM   #1356
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

Meh. The concept of a Lucasverse hot chocolate that's called the same thing doesn't really bother me. The main legislative body of both the Old Republic and then most of the history of the Empire was called the Senate, and that's a term that goes all the way back to ancient Rome here on Earth. If one digs long and deep enough it'd probably be easy to find SW terminology that sounds similar to or just like everyday words and names here in the real world.

At least our milk doesn't tend to be blue!

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 05:35 PM   #1357
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

^ True. However, I would willingly hold a ritual sacrifice of all my Craftsman tools if I could have a hydrospammer.
Old March 19 2014, 06:10 PM   #1358
Christopher
Writer

I think you mean a hydrospanner. A spanner is a wrench, a spammer is an online nuisance.

Old March 19 2014, 06:21 PM   #1359
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

And before it's lost to the sands of time - blue skim milk used to be an actual thing.

Mark

Old March 19 2014, 07:15 PM   #1360
Reverend
Rear Admiral

While I have no major problem with anachronisms in Star Wars in general, I can certainly understand how an inferior writer trying to be cute with it can pull you straight out of a story.

I recall having a similar experience with (I think?) 'Planet of Twilight'. I forget the details but something about ships being held together by "space tape". Yeah, I know it sounds innocent enough out of context, but I remembering audibly groaning.

There was another bit (I forget which book) in which Leia and Mara are stuck in the dark somewhere and one of them ignites a lightsaber to see where they're going. What pulled me right out of it was a comment by the other saying they've never seen a sabre used as a light source before, followed by a totally straight-faced earnest reply about using anything to hand in a despetate situation.

Hard to explain (especially since I'm going by 15+ year old recollections) but it's stupid crap like that which eventually put me off SW novels for good. Again though, it wasn't the concepts so much as the poor execution, dull as dishwater plots and some very half arsed characterization.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 08:33 PM   #1361
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
While I have no major problem with anachronisms in Star Wars in general, I can certainly understand how an inferior writer trying to be cute with it can pull you straight out of a story.
That can happen no matter what. I'm not sure of the value of doing a word substitution simply to show how 'Star Wars' everything is. They call coffee 'caf' which I suppose is meeting halfway.
Old March 21 2014, 09:25 PM   #1362
Christopher
Writer

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I'm not sure of the value of doing a word substitution simply to show how 'Star Wars' everything is.
Yeah, that way lies the original Galactica. It wasn't enough that years were yahrens and minutes were centons -- it reached the point where energy units were ergons, soldiers went on furlons instead of furloughs, etc.

Old March 21 2014, 11:22 PM   #1363
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

You certainly have a way of cutting through the felgercarb.
Old March 21 2014, 11:26 PM   #1364
publiusr
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think you mean a hydrospanner. A spanner is a wrench, a spammer is an online nuisance.
And a hydrospammer is a telemarketer whose head I'm holding underwater..what was that you wanted to sell again?

Mumph--bubble

But while I am taking care of this, maybe you could help me answer a question:

I seem to remember one episode where something looked a bit like an atomic bomb explosion--not to resurrect the no nukes in Star Wars bit..maybe it was an opening montage but I think it felled a bunch of the roger/roger combat droid

Last edited by publiusr; March 21 2014 at 11:37 PM.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 11:27 PM   #1365
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

And, of course, "death sticks" as referenced in the Outlander Nightclub sequence in AOTC is just the Star Wars universe's version of Earth cigarettes and it was pretty obvious from the beginning that they were intended to be a poke at real life tobacco products. Still, it was an effective reference and you got the message with some added humor (Obi-Wan's mind trick) without it being too heavyhanded.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote