Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 18 2014, 04:35 AM   #1336
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
That's the one aspect of the timeline I take issue with and would change. Clearly it was meant to fall into the continuity of a preceding season on Cartoon Network and the events don't take place after the new Order 66/Fives arc. There's already been some lengthy debate about this over on other sites.
Sorry, why is that clear? I don't recall Fives or the murdered Jedi showing up in the Clovis arc, so I don't see any continuity issue there. Sure, Palpatine's voice is different, but that's a real-world difference rather than one meant to exist in-universe. And both arcs involve Palpatine/Sidious's successful machinations to advance his long-term plans, so they sort of go together in that sense.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 06:28 PM   #1337
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

So have we discussed how this can still tie in with the Genndy Tartakovsky bits, or has it been concluded that there's no real way to fit them together? At least the other series has a final storyline that dovetailed directly into ROTS, no?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 07:08 PM   #1338
Christopher
Writer

^Didn't someone say earlier in this thread (or somewhere) that the Filoni series could fit pretty well into the narrative gap at the start of season 2 of the Tartakovsky series?

Old March 18 2014, 07:27 PM   #1339
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I haven't read this, but I do recall some people saying that some events aren't reconcilable (not sure where though). Obviously there are big thematic differences between the two series, and TCW uses 120+ episodes to build quite a large universe versus 3-5 minute clips at a time. However, in terms of plot, I think we're still in the green...

I haven't seen the Tartakovsky series since their DVDs came out, but while they obviously don't resolve all the hanging plot threads, at least it does segue directly into the opening act of Episode III. TCW doesn't NEED to - the "kidnapping" of Palpatine is expositioned just fine in the opening crawl - and episode 6x13 ends on a thematic point that works for me. But Ashoka, Maul, all the Mandalorian stuff, etc... Come on, Rebels, you KNOW you can give us a ton of closure once you get going.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 07:54 PM   #1340
Christopher
Writer

I'm not sure, but I think there's a discrepancy between the two series about whether Anakin ever met Asajj Ventress prior to graduating to full Jedi and cutting his padawan braid.

Old March 18 2014, 08:10 PM   #1341
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

It'd be a shame if the Tartakovsky Clone Wars stories were decanonized and jettisoned. There might well be some glaring discrepancies in continuity if one lined up the old episodes from a decade ago alongside the Cartoon Network/Netflix stories but there were characters and aspects of Tartakovsky's work that I remain fond of to this day. The bounty hunter Durge, for one, whom I believe would have made a fine addition to the roster of recurring villains in the Filoni series.

It's true that the old series doesn't feature Ahsoka nor other longstanding, familiar elements that helped make the more recent show so popular and highly regarded, but right now I imagine it's all up in the air along with much of the EU that's being scrutinized for inclusion in or exclusion from what will be the new, official, Disney-approved canon.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 08:13 PM   #1342
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm not sure, but I think there's a discrepancy between the two series about whether Anakin ever met Asajj Ventress prior to graduating to full Jedi and cutting his padawan braid.
I don't know didn't Anakin already seem to know her in Hidden Enemy which was her earliest appearance in TCW.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 09:27 PM   #1343
Christopher
Writer

^Maybe. Like I said, I'm not sure.

Old March 18 2014, 10:41 PM   #1344
Mr Light
Admiral

There's also the matter that the microseries contradicts the same events depicted in the Labyrinth of Evil novel. And the fact that characters in the microseries had god-like super powers

I absolutely loved the micro-series. I'm definitely going to rewatch it when I finish my Clone Wars rewatch!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 11:05 PM   #1345
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
There's also the matter that the microseries contradicts the same events depicted in the Labyrinth of Evil novel.
Is that relevant? Despite what Lucasfilm claimed, it's been clear ever since the prequels came out that the books aren't actually canonical. I thought the question on the table was whether the two TV series were compatible.

Old March 18 2014, 11:46 PM   #1346
Reverend
Rear Admiral

As far as I can tell, you can pretty neatly fit the entirety of TCW between this scene and the one that follows it.

The only possible inconsistency I can think of is the design of Anakin's artificial hand, but I'm pretty sure we never really see it in TCW sans glove anyway.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 01:42 AM   #1347
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Despite what Lucasfilm claimed, it's been clear ever since the prequels came out that the books aren't actually canonical.
On another website I once got in serious trouble for pointing out that AOTC retconned Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Good times.
Old March 19 2014, 01:49 AM   #1348
RoJoHen
Awesome

I've been powering through this show since Netflix added it, and I'm already in the beginning of Season 5. One thing that keeps bugging me, though, is how futile it all is. I'm watching this thing rooting for Jedi and the Republic, but at the same time, I know that they're going to lose. Not just that, but the whole show is about Republic vs. Separatists...both of which are being led by the same damn person!

I wonder how I'd feel if all these Star Wars adventures had been made in chronological order. How shocked would we all be if we didn't know going in that Palpatine and Sidious were one in the same?
Old March 19 2014, 02:15 AM   #1349
Mr Light
Admiral

The novels are canon... until they're contradicted by filmed materials

I believe Tales of the Bounty Hunters is canon except for the Boba Fett story obviously, which has been retconned as being a false rumor about Boba or something.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 02:57 AM   #1350
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The novels are canon... until they're contradicted by filmed materials
Which is the definition of "not canon."