Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 8 2014, 01:39 AM   #1156
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Just saw that announcement over on Facebook. I have to say, it's disappointing. Sure, we'll be getting the remaining content to wrap up the TCW storyline, but it won't be nearly the same and I imagine this is going to make a lot of fans pretty upset.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:50 AM   #1157
JD
Admiral

This is going to be in addition to the last episodes that were produced, right? If so it'll be nice to see some of the stuff that they never got a chance to actually produce. If it's instead of the episodes, then that is really aggravating.
Old January 8 2014, 02:01 AM   #1158
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Jennifer Heddle with LucasBooks just tweeted:

Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle 9m
If there's still confusion: the new Dark Horse miniseries only deals with a Darth Maul arc from near end of the series. Not a series finale!
Old January 8 2014, 03:23 AM   #1159
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

If that tweet means we're getting both the episodes and a comic tying up another arc that sounds good. I might even check those out and I haven't bought a comic in years.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 03:27 AM   #1160
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I just consider this another fuck you from Disney in regards to The Clone Wars. The final Darth Maul arc would have made a terrific direct-to-DVD movie. It would have been another chance for Sam Witwer to continue his amazing voice work as Maul and Disney would have made a quick buck on this. I want to SEE the final Maul adventure, not read about him. It still annoys me that Disney cut short the sixth season of The Clone Wars.

I'm glad Dark Horse will get to tell the tale at least though it's just a reminder that prequel era stories will be coming to an end once Marvel gets Star Wars back. Whatever you might have thought about the prequel films, I've found the prequels books and comics on a whole to be really good.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 03:52 AM   #1161
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I'm excited to be getting this. When the series was cancelled, I had hoped that the remaining stories would be adapted by Dark Horse. I can't help to think that if the license hadn't moved to Marvel that we would eventually be getting more than just this Darth Maul finale. There is plenty more Clone Wars goodness that we could have got in this format.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 08:45 PM   #1162
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Dave Filoni has updated his facebook:

Happy New Year!

You may have seen the recent Clone Wars / Dark Horse Comics news, and I thought I would chime in and clarify things a bit. I am very excited about our collaboration with Dark Horse and this opportunity to tell an unfinished story developed for the TV series.

Before we get into the details about the Maul comic, I’d like to make clear that this storyline does not represent The Clone Wars series finale. I’ve seen some confusion about that online and want to set the record straight. There are additional Clone Wars episodes on the way and one arc in particular marks the series finale in my mind. We’ll have fun discussing that in the not too distant future.

Allow me to reveal in more detail what the story “Darth Maul, Son of Dathomir” is, and where it came from. As I have mentioned in previous interviews, for us to create the rich and incredibly complex stories that we were telling during The Clone Wars, we would be working on around fifty episodes at one time. This is from rough outline form, all the way through final sound design and picture lock. There were several stories that had gone through a substantial amount of development when the series was ended. We realized that this meant certain character arcs would go unfinished, but the Story and Publishing teams at Lucasfilm approached me with a unique way to continue Maul’s story for everyone who had been faithful to the show. The idea was to tell the story in comic book form, and knowing the great work that Dark Horse had done over the years, I thought it was an excellent plan.

The story of Darth Maul had become an important one for the series and it was only fitting that we chose him for a comic adaptation. The comics will be based on four finished scripts that were written for Season 6 . These scripts came out of one of our story conferences with George Lucas. As they moved through the production pipeline, they became finalized scripts with a great deal of the actual design work completed. The designs you will see, the plot lines, and character development in these comic books are all coming directly from the TV production. I turned over all of the art to Dark Horse so they could create an accurate representation of what we were planning for the show.

I am thrilled with the result, and thankful that we could partner with Randy Stradley and his team on this project. As I have always said, the stories told during the Clone Wars era will live on, and we are eager to share Darth Maul’s storyline with you. Is it the final story for Darth Maul? You will have to read the comics to find out.
Old January 10 2014, 11:54 PM   #1163
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

They're sure stretching out the details of the finale and milking it for all it's worth.
Old January 11 2014, 12:43 AM   #1164
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

One of my wishes was that they'd adequately wrap up the Maul storyline and deal with the ultimate fate of his character so he's not running around somewhere during the Imperial Era, so I am glad we're getting the resolution, but I wish it were on-screen instead. A good and memorable villain born on the screen should ideally meet their end on the screen.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 02:41 AM   #1165
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I don't know the life expectancy of Zabraks - sorry, human-Zabrak hybrids - but they should keep him alive so that he can fight Master Skywalker in the ST.
Old January 11 2014, 03:15 AM   #1166
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
They're sure stretching out the details of the finale and milking it for all it's worth.
Yeah, but I don't consider that unreasonable in this case.

If we take them at their word, and I don't see why not, then they did already invest in the production of episodes that were never actually produced. If I were in their position, I'd be looking for ways to market what I'd done, too.

Making comic book adaptations of episodes that have no chance of being completed seems reasonable, and if I read this right, that's exactly all that they're doing in the case of these comic book adaptations.
Old January 11 2014, 06:19 AM   #1167
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I mean the finale itself not the comics.
Old January 11 2014, 06:21 AM   #1168
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^^ I mean the finale itself not the comics.
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "milking". Do you mean that they're keeping us in suspense?
Old January 11 2014, 06:24 AM   #1169
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ It seems that way though I'm being a bit facetious as there's probably good reasons but yeah, I'd like to know in what form we're going to finally get these things.
Old January 11 2014, 03:52 PM   #1170
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If they're going ahead with "Rebels", why not simply make the final Clone Wars episodes as well?