RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 396
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 5 2013, 11:35 PM   #1006
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Just look at the very first season of TNG. In "Encounter at Farpoint" Data says he's from the Starfleet Academy "class of '78" whereas later episodes clearly set the first season of the series during the year 2364 and Data's discovery on Omicron Theta taking place in the year 2338.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:47 PM   #1007
Mr Light
Admiral

Tolkein rewrote the Gollum chapter so that Gollum didn't willingly give up the Ring.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:48 PM   #1008
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I thought he actually did rewrite a portion of The Hobbit to fit better with LOTR.
Although he did think about completely overhauling the Hobbit and I think he may have started on it, the only changes that were made were Riddles in the Dark to be more true to what Bilbo says what happened in the Lord of the Rings.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 12:47 AM   #1009
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Tolkien was never done rewriting anything he wrote until the day he died.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 12:49 AM   #1010
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Clone Wars retconned Anakin into a likable character.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 05:09 AM   #1011
JD
Admiral

I've wondered what people would have thought of the prequels if the Anakin we got in them was closer to the way he was portrayed in TCW.
Old May 9 2013, 05:13 AM   #1012
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Where was Death Star inconsistent with the movie?
Damn, I was afraid someone might ask that.

It's been a while since I read it so I can't give a complete answer. There weren't any that I considered major.

I recall some of the movie dialog being incorrect, a minor point but one that shouldn't have fallen through the cracks, since it would have been easy enough to fix. Another minor point is that, IIRC, it forgot to mention that not only did two X-Wings survive the climactic battle, but also one Y-Wing did as well (it forgot the Y-Wing).
I thought I'd take a few minutes to report that I've checked and confirmed that my memory was correct about these minor errors in Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry. Details from the hardcover first edition are as follows.
1. One example of book dialog not matching up exactly with film dialog is in the following line on page 330.

Death Star by Reaves and Perry wrote:
“We count thirty Rebel ships, Lord Vader. But they're so small, they're avoiding our turbolasers.”
Instead of "avoiding", the word in the film is "evading". I wonder whether someone transcribed the line from the film and simply had trouble with the officer's accent. According to other EU material, this line was spoken by Lieutenant Tanbris.
2. Another example is that the book mistakenly refers to Docking Bay 327 as Docking Bay 2037, first referenced AFAIK on page 297. This is fairly inexplicable to me, as "327" is well known as one of Lucas's signature Easter eggs, at least since the "327 Chevy" line in American Graffiti (which was spoken by the Terry "the Toad" to Debbie, about the engine of Steve's Chevrolet Impala, and which he's lying about, by the way, because he's trying to impress her).
3. The issue with the surviving Y-wing is as follows. On page 352, after Red Leader and the two other X-wing pilots covering him on his attack run are killed, the book reads as follows.

Death Star by Reaves and Perry wrote:
“I need locations on the remaining Rebel fighters,” he said.
“At once, Lord Vader.” There was a short pause. “There are only three more, my lord, and they have just entered—”
“—the same trench,” Vader finished. Whatever the target, the Rebels were convinced it was worth every ship they had. He knew he had best finish the last three quickly.
That passage is pretty clearly incompatible with the existence of the Y-wing in the film which is seen escaping the Death Star's explosion with Luke, Wedge, and the Falcon.
None of these are major issues, of course. There may or may not be other discrepancies with the films.

I find them objectionable only because they take me out of the moment while reading. Death Star has gotten mixed reviews, but I was rather impressed with its take on events in Episode IV, and I quite enjoyed reading it. I certainly don't consider its interpretations canonical, and nor does that, or these minor problems here, in any way affect my enjoyment of the book. The book simply offers an alternate interpretation, as far as I'm concerned, and one that I'm glad to have been exposed to.

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; May 9 2013 at 07:45 AM.
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:03 AM   #1013
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Dave Filoni posted this on his facebook page a couple days ago. It could be just an interesting doodle he was working on for fun...or it could also have something to do with the new series being worked on. Hard to tell...but it looks cool

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/...-tv-animation/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:12 AM   #1014
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to see a new animated series that helps fill in at least some of the 30-year gap between Jedi and Episode VII. The birth of the New Republic, revival of the Jedi Order and the battles with the surviving remnants and holdouts of the old Empire could prove just as thrilling to watch as the drama and turmoil of the Clone Wars.

Besides, I don't think they would have left the post-Jedi timeline completely untouched now that we're getting the Sequel Trilogy that will raise some new questions about just what precisely happened after the Battle of Endor and the deaths of the Emperor and Vader. A 30-year gap is just too huge to ignore when it comes to satisfying sci-fi/fantasy fans, especially Star Wars geeks.

Old May 9 2013, 08:05 AM   #1015
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I personally think that the new series will touch on some post ROTJ era. Whatever the case was (fan fic or real concept) with that reported "leaked" document...I think they at least had the right idea going. I would have watched that series. I think we'll get some kind of announcement or news in the summer time like SDCC time...or maybe they'll wait until Celebration VI, and I think I've mentioned this before, but Filoni will most likely be involved in some capacity. He's at least earned that with his work on "Clone Wars".

Old May 20 2013, 11:33 PM   #1016
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Here's a clip from the Yoda arc that's been discussed for Season 6. It's a lot of fun.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...nds_151997.asp
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:21 AM   #1017
Christopher
Writer

I guess they were using tracks from the movies as temp music for the incomplete episode. I wonder if they do that all the time. I like it better than Kiner's stuff.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 02:28 AM   #1018
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Did you guys hear the news about the new animated series that'll be set between the Prequel and Original Trilogies during the period of the rise of the Rebellion and the Galactic Civil War? It premieres in the fall of 2014, will air on DisneyXD and is tentatively called Star Wars: Rebels.

Old May 21 2013, 02:34 AM   #1019
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yep. There's already a thread for it. I'm excited.

I also enjoy Kiner's score for the Clone Wars series. That clip between Anakin and Yoda is awesome.

Old May 21 2013, 03:01 AM   #1020
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Well this 'sequel' series makes the cancellation of The Clone Wars not sting so bad. Everything that didn't get to happen in future seasons of TCW can now happen in the new show. I'm very excited!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote