Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 09:07 PM   #181
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I think Mortis by itself is not so much of a problem, but the direction the EU seems to be going with it might be trouble.
Well I'm sure Disney will take care of that while their nuking the EU from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

DarKush wrote: View Post
^
I read that some official (Disney perhaps?) said that Clone Wars would do well on Disney XD. So it's possible that if Clone Wars might eventually jump ship. To be fair, it would make a nice block with Transformers Prime.
Meh, at which point I would no longer have any reason to continue watching Cartoon Network for the time being.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:18 PM   #182
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
I think Mortis by itself is not so much of a problem, but the direction the EU seems to be going with it might be trouble.
Well I'm sure Disney will take care of that while their nuking the EU from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
I hear that, but for all we know they could end up going that direction themselves. At this point there's no way to know.
Old October 31 2012, 11:24 PM   #183
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

They will nuke the EU, i am finished with SW. I am serious, i never owned any toys or anything like that so i won't be coming back for more.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 02:45 AM   #184
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
I'm hoping that isn't the case but it isn't looking good for the post-ROTJ books and comics. But the new films probably won't touch the films and presumably all the EU stuff that's come before so at least you'll/we will have that.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 03:09 AM   #185
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I can't imagine CW on Disney XD without being toned down some.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 08:25 PM   #186
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
^
I'm hoping that isn't the case but it isn't looking good for the post-ROTJ books and comics. But the new films probably won't touch the films and presumably all the EU stuff that's come before so at least you'll/we will have that.
The new films won't contradict the OT - in the words of the new boss, "protecting the characters" is job one. (at 2:44)

And we now know she ain't talking about the EU characters. Disney just spend four billion dollars for a valuable brand that includes the characters that people could name if you asked them at your local mall - Luke, Leia, Han, the robots, the furry guy, the little green guy, what was his name again...?

The new movies will be made for people who have to think a bit to rememeber what the little green guy's name is. They have so damn much more money collectively than we do. And keep in mind they have to play in Jakarta and Santiago, not just Cincinnati and Fresno. Those people think EU is that organization that is imploding in Europe right now.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 09:47 PM   #187
Stephen!
Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Maybe they're contractually obliged to keep Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, at least for a while, so it might not be an issue.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 09:57 PM   #188
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Maybe they're contractually obliged to keep Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, at least for a while, so it might not be an issue.
Of course if Cartoon Network tries the same crap they puled with DC Nation the guys running Clone Wars just had a new option open up for them.
Old November 2 2012, 06:18 PM   #189
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

TCW likely to movie to DisneyXD after this season concludes.

Lucasfilm’s spinoff TV version of Star Wars has been a solid performer on the Turner Entertainment-owned Cartoon Network for the past five years, but that run almost certainly will end after the current season in the wake of the deal for Disney to acquire George Lucas' company for $4.05 billion.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Turner, a division of Time Warner, has the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars only through the end of the 2012-13 season. Each year it has renewed its deal with Lucasfilm, and reps for both companies say they will make a decision on continuing the show around the end of the season.

In reality, Disney is very likely to move Clone Wars to one of its own networks, most likely Disney XD, an advertiser-supported cable TV channel targeted at boys.
The Cartoon Network and DisneyXD have the same target audience, so my hunch is that Disney will keep a hands-off approach. If ratings tank for some reason, that might change.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 07:32 PM   #190
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Stephen! wrote: View Post
Of course if Cartoon Network tries the same crap they puled with DC Nation the guys running Clone Wars just had a new option open up for them.
The difference between TCW and DC Nation is that in addition to good ratings, it also has a healthy toyline, which is something that CN sees additive value in. And toys or lack of them was the given reason for the cancellation of Genndy's Mecha themed show. YJ if I recall had a toyline that bombed.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:38 PM   #191
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

The Gathering - I liked that this episode was more lighthearted than all the preceding ones this season. The "twist" at the end was kind of predictable but I liked how all the padawans learned to overcome their individual faults by the end.
Old November 3 2012, 06:06 PM   #192
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
The Gathering - I liked that this episode was more lighthearted than all the preceding ones this season. The "twist" at the end was kind of predictable but I liked how all the padawans learned to overcome their individual faults by the end.
And they managed to use Ahsoka's concept design into the intro narration interestingly enough.
Old November 3 2012, 06:12 PM   #193
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
TCW likely to movie to DisneyXD after this season concludes.

Lucasfilm’s spinoff TV version of Star Wars has been a solid performer on the Turner Entertainment-owned Cartoon Network for the past five years, but that run almost certainly will end after the current season in the wake of the deal for Disney to acquire George Lucas' company for $4.05 billion.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Turner, a division of Time Warner, has the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars only through the end of the 2012-13 season. Each year it has renewed its deal with Lucasfilm, and reps for both companies say they will make a decision on continuing the show around the end of the season.

In reality, Disney is very likely to move Clone Wars to one of its own networks, most likely Disney XD, an advertiser-supported cable TV channel targeted at boys.
The Cartoon Network and DisneyXD have the same target audience, so my hunch is that Disney will keep a hands-off approach. If ratings tank for some reason, that might change.
In such a case, it would be better for The Clone Wars to stay on CN and finish its run there.

The article is fairly high on speculation about any possible move, but Disney XD's biggest hits are its live-action comedies, not its action cartoons. Ironically, like CN's Adult Swim, even the animated comedies generally bring in higher ratings.
Old November 3 2012, 06:45 PM   #194
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Aww, poor Byph. Cute episode though we've seen that kind of lesson has been done many times before.

As far as DC Nation vs Clone Wars, even before this takeover there was more corporate synergy between CN and DC which I believe allows for CN to treat it so. Knowing that CN only contracted year by year with Lucasfilm shows why they wouldn't do the same with Clone Wars.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 07:03 PM   #195
Saul
Rear Admiral

Well that was a good Disney episode.